Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you think within this century can we fix all the orthopedic problems /issues?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

or we have to wait more?

What's interesting is that now almost every orthopaedics is starting to use regenerative medicine in particular PRP and stem cells?

what I really mean is that it is becoming more and more common. if we continue like this even the small physiotherapy studio around the corner of may house that has 2 class doctors may start to use regenerative medicine next year.

That said I wonder if we can also find a way to relax muscles without botox and solve many postural problems that today do not have an answer.

Posted Image

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

I think we'll have to wait more. The orthopedic problems we know of now we'll probably be able to cure, but as we dig deeper and learn more about our biology we'll probably find a whole host of new problems to cure.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
I think we'll have to wait more. The orthopedic problems we know of now we'll probably be able to cure, but as we dig deeper and learn more about our biology we'll probably find a whole host of new problems to cure.

what do you mean exactly? if we are able to cure most of them than what we need to know more about orthopaedics? are you arguing that we will need to understand smaller details? or how things develop exactly?

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Say you have problem A. In order to solve problem A, you learn biology knowledge I. However, in the process of learning knowledge I and solving problem A, you learn also about a potential deficiency or someother called problem B, for which you need to learn knowledge II, and so on until there's no more to learn.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

bone lengthening is already possible although not without extreme sacrifice. but id like to think that in the coming years and with more demand (specifically in asia), people from this field would find a way to make this kind of surgery easier, shorter and safer.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
bone lengthening is already possible although not without extreme sacrifice. but id like to think that in the coming years and with more demand (specifically in asia), people from this field would find a way to make this kind of surgery easier, shorter and safer.

This is more a cosmetic type of surgery rather than orthopaedics even if bones and surrounding tissues are involved.

When I talk about orthopaedic problem I speak about ligaments regeneration, cure for scoliosis, posture problems, bone fractures and regeneration  etc..

Although I know height is your problem and today is possible to have a surgery. Italy has with France the best doctors for height related problems. So I heard in on article years ago. But the procedure is invasive, painful and rehabilitation long.

One way to make limbs increasing would be in a combination of growth hormone and stem cells. there is a small chance that you can increase length without surgery.

The alternative is to produce 3d bone with scaffolds. at one point the scaffold melt leaving an healthy bone tissue with out screws or anything. cuts will be also more precise. this should make rehabilitation easier.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

The alternative is to produce 3d bone with scaffolds. at one point the scaffold melt leaving an healthy bone tissue with out screws or anything. cuts will be also more precise. this should make rehabilitation easier.

yeah, this is what im expecting to where this field is going. maybe even having stem cells involve, or gene therapy in the distant future.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

yeah, this is what im expecting to where this field is going. maybe even having stem cells involve, or gene therapy in the distant future.

I think the solution is not far off, at least to make the surgery easer and less invasive. it would be nice if they can find a way to increase length without breaking the entire bone.

Edited by Italian Ufo, 25 July 2013 - 11:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users