Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

I guess most of you heard about this...what do you think about it?

dreamer246

dreamer246

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

I'm highly skeptical about this.Back in the 1950's people thought that we'd have flying cars and robot butlers,but instead we have iphones and facebook.We're often wrong when it comes to future predictions and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if this "avatar project" isn't completed.

i8obamaskfc

i8obamaskfc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL
I'm highly skeptical about this.Back in the 1950's people thought that we'd have flying cars and robot butlers,but instead we have iphones and facebook.We're often wrong when it comes to future predictions and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if this "avatar project" isn't completed.

Well there have been flying cars created, but they aren't practical yet.

As for what I think about the project...I'm not a fan of it.

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

Posted Image

"Avatar A" by 2020 is actually not an unrealistic prediction, as long as the fidelity requirement of their "copy" isn't too high.  I think the B, C and D predictions are too optimistic, however.  2085 sounds more realistic to me than 2045.

That said, more power to them for trying.  The more effort, money, time & research goes into AI and BCI development, the better.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

Malgidus

Malgidus

Four Lefts From Reality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationCanada

I admire Dimitry Itskov. He has a great vision and also the funds to make his vision become reality. I doubt this will turn out to be the path for humanity, as there are a few roads to immortality, but I will say a few things about each Avatar phase. Avatar A: The 2020 target for Brain Controlled Interface is definitely possible with the right team(s) of people working on it. It may not turn out to be a practical economic commodity initially, but it will likely be possible a bit before their 2020 timeline. Freedoms granted: - Handicapped and physically disabled persons able to experience a "normal" life. - Telecommuting, labourers saved from wrecking their own bodies and able to use a powerful android to do insane things. Avatar B: The complete transplant of a human brain has a few problems at the moment. We are very close to being able to do a full head transplant into another biological body, the one major problem being the spinal cord. But transplanting just the brain will require the "hook up" of more than just a spinal cord: all the sensory input systems. There are many extranneous body pieces that won't be needed: circulatory, digestive, respiratory systems, etc. This breeds another problem for brain transplant: we are a bit more than just our brains, and a lot of our bodily functions are controlled by the brain. What will the brain do when devoid of these symptoms? And the other technical hurdle is keeping the brain safe and in a healthy state inside a synthetic body. This may be the easiest of the problems and will likely have many solutions within 12 years. The first two problems i mentioned will be much harder and may require a complete reverse engineering of the brain and a total understanding of its mechanisms. The 2025 deadline is going to be a lot more of a push. Freedoms granted: - No more need to "eat", cyborgs will just need a source of energy (and not a whole lot). - Some safety from other basic needs, an android body will be a lot more hardy than a human one. - Pseudo-immortality. Freedom from many diseases, and increased longevity until the aging/death of the brain.

Avatar C: This is where things go past what most people understand or believe is and ever will be possible. There really is only two hurdles for this project: preserving the I-ness of a person during the transfer to a synthetic substrate, and the actual creation of a substrate which can house a human intelligence (or perhaps greater than). The second hurdle will likely have many solutions in computing science within 22 years. The first problem is the one that matters. One possible solution is to initially convert the brain, neuron by neuron, to an exact copy synthetic neuron. This would preserve the I-ness of the person, in the process converting them to 100% non-biological intelligence. Freedoms granted: - Easy fully-immserive VR.

- Indefinite lifespans. - Total freedom from basic needs of a human body. Avatar D: Wait, what exactly is this? ... Well, this would be the "Singularity" for humanity and whatever we may postulate about how such an intelligence would live in this avatar, we're likely wrong. But I will say we're likely to gain freedom from "bodies" as such and able to exist and transfer consciousness to different substrates through highly advanced nanotech over vast distances. We're also likely able to speed up the clock on our brains and live out thousands of subjective years of experience in seconds: imagine a trillion years of thought taking place every hour, for every human being. Now imagine that thought being used to further better ourselves. Screw entropy. EDIt: I'm not sure if this will be possible in 2045, but it may not be too long after as the many states of upgrades humanity will have before this one will allow this state to come about faster. Freedoms granted: - Freedom from every conceivable limitation.  

Edited by Malgidus, 20 July 2013 - 04:06 AM.

My mind has been torn into Oblivion, is there a way to tear that too? Reach into the Oblivion, and through Zen, tear the Universe anew.

Tradesman by day, [game] programmer by night. Philosopher all day long. @Malgidus |Forest Bear Studios

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

iPhones and Facebook are quite remarkable themselves, as much as we take them for granted - and, as with anything, different groups and different people have different levels of skill and reliability. As far off the mark as those 1950s predictions might have been, there might have been other futurists at the time that hit a perfect bullseye with their vision of the future. We can't automatically discredit Prediction B just because Prediction A was wrong. (Not that this project in particular sounds realistic or anything - if even the normally optimistic Stanley thinks it's 40 years off the mark, the group behind the Avatar Project must be getting in over their heads with this timeline of theirs.)

Edited by Casey, 20 July 2013 - 04:19 AM.

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Just a question: How are holograms going to erm reproduce? 

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationChina

D would also mean you could travel at lightspeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users