Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Moore's Law End?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Infinity

Infinity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Will Moore's Law end and collapse in the 10-20 years or will we tweak silicon chips to squeeze what we can on a small chip?

Whats do you guys think about it?

http://www.eetimes.c...?doc_id=1263256

https://www.youtube....d&v=bm6ScvNygUU

Edited by Infinity, 21 July 2013 - 01:27 AM.

equicidal

equicidal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Moore's law for transistors will end but it will continue with other technologies such as graphene and all the things micho talked about.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Eventually it has to end. Physics, after all, has to put a certain 'end' for computing technologies somewhere.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Moore's law is a specific piece of a general trend that has been going on since we first started using tools, and some would argue even a branch from evolution it self. That trend is basically that you are constantly building off what you already have. You build better tools, then use those tools to build better tools, and so on. It makes perfect sense that it doesn't really matter what you apply it to, if you have better tools you are going to improve faster, and the faster you improve the better your tools improve. It is a cycle of exponential growth, and if anything it speeds up even faster with time not slow down.

The number of transistors you can cram onto a integrated circuit isn't really the be all and end of all computing power. So I am not to worried about it ending, if it does. There will  be other technologies, and they are going to be extremely powerful.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,147 posts
  • LocationLondon

People keep saying Moore's Law will end. But every month or so, a new breakthrough happens with graphene etc. and it's obvious the trend will continue for some time to come.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

It will end. But don't associate its end with a decline in the speed of technological growth.

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

smurftstate

smurftstate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationJapan

well graphene is looking very promising so i can't see it ending for another 10 years when graphene dies out they will just figure something else out. 

humans are good at figuring out stuff.

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

It won't last long with the technology currently employed in modern computers. However there are breaktrhoughs every now and then that will allow us to replace modern chips/transistors etc. and keep on going with moore's law or some other form of exponential increase. 3D chips and graphene chips have a lot of potential.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Did the caveman ever ask if the spear would ever stop being improved?

I think it will end, but not for the foreseeable future. 

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

moore's law will continue with graphene technologies and then most likely quantum computing after that. After that, some form of the "technological singularity" will likely be amongst us. So it'll continue for a while in my opinion

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

TheAsianGuy_LOL

TheAsianGuy_LOL

What's Up Homies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationThe Stars of Which to be Settled

It will continue after graphene and quantum computing with picto and femto tech.

"We know Everything, but not Everything"~ Me

"Don't question what I know, question what I don't know."~ Me

"Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will"~Italian UFO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users