Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Immortal pets?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I was on my way to work this morning when I had some fond memories of some pets of my past, and remembering them getting frail and oulder and sicker before we had to put them down. And I sometimes still think about those last moments where they don't really seem to suspect that tomorrow won't be about waking up from their sleep and seeing their family and getting treats.

And then it crossed my mind that if we ever get to the point where we can halt and even reverse aging in us, some people would do it for their pets. Not nessecarily with the intent of making them immortal but just so they don't get older and that will amount to the same thing without intent.

But then iy occurs to me, a four hundred year old dog? By that point it may well be fluent in the language, if it could talk, and be able to guide you to people just by you asking.

It's a slightly disturbing idea that just be centuries of accumulated knowledge and experience pet rats could be on par with modern chimps or maybe an elderly slightly senile human.

what do you think?

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

Well, there are already some forzen animals alcor.Some regenerative medicine is already applied to some animals. Plus i think that the first mind uploading will be perfored on rats, primates and even dogs. So they may be the first to become immortal.

Ceritainly if dog live much longer, they could become more intelligent ( assuming that also their brain cells are keeping efficent) but i don't think that a dog that is 100 years old will be much more intelligent than a dog who died at the age of 15.

That said animals Language will be detected in a better way in the future and we will comprend some of their behaviours more easily.

dreamer246

dreamer246

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

But what happens if the owners die or disown their immortal pet?Are they just going wander the earth or sit in a cage at an animal shelter until the sun goes super nova?Or will people start killing them as soon as they're tired of them since they won't die on their own?Immortality can be a curse and it seems cruel to give that curse to animals that didn't want it in the first place.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Some animals do live forever, and some species of turtle live in captivity for over 100 years.  None have become fluent in any language.  I know turtles can't speak, but as far as I know it didn't make them much more intelligent.

Maybe a 100 year old parrot or monkey would.  Both can communicate with humans with either sign language or vocally.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

but what if you could apply aspects of the technological singularity to make your animal more self aware / sentient. that'd be creepy

Edited by Squillimy, 23 July 2013 - 10:48 PM.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Immortal pets would be brilliant, and I certainly see them as a possibility for when human immortality is achieved. It's better to have a companion for life than just for 20 years at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users