Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bodily rejection of cybernetics and implants

rejection cybernetics implants

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

So it just occured to me that our immune systems reject foreign entities like diseases and other such objects, whether they be microscopic or a railroad spike through the brain. Wouldn't nanobots in the bloodstream exhibit the same effect? How will we find a way around this?

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts
So it just occured to me that our immune systems reject foreign entities like diseases and other such objects, whether they be microscopic or a railroad spike through the brain. Wouldn't nanobots in the bloodstream exhibit the same effect? How will we find a way around this?

Lots of research. eventually you can do nanobots who are biologically adaptable.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,010 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Thought of this as well. If we had nanobots, there's no reason why we couldn't have them send chemical signals to white blood cells to say "back off."

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

White blood cells aren't really the problem; they're just enforcers. The whole body works to ward off invaders, and sends white blood cells in as a response to attacks. When the body detects foreign bodies, it kicks into "search and destroy" mode and you start to feel like shit. This is what is referred to as "sickness".

If we were to work in a mechanism that would repulse white blood cells, the white blood cells wouldn't bother the nanobots, but the body would still ACT sick. Sure you have nanobots that let you shoot lasers from your eyes, but you would be exhausted and feverish and your limbs would ache because your immune system HATES your nanites and keeps sending white blood cells out.

I think the only way around this would be tricking the body into thinking the nanites are naturally a part of the body (ideal), or disabling the body's immune system (stupid).

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,126 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

The human body doesn't reject everything. some plastics and many metals can be implanted without problems, and there are coatings that can be used.

Our body also live with and cooperate with hundreds of species of bacteria, fungi and virus' our whole lives without loosing it to escalating disease and sickness.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

There are lots of biocompatibile materials. I have good deal of metal in my spine. It's been there for about 15 years now and it's fine :)

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

dreamer246

dreamer246

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

The answer is simple:just replace the immune system with something more implant friendly.

tw88

tw88

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Locationeugene oregon

i guess its what you define as a nanobot. Genetically modified cells from an individuals body designed to carry out a particular task could be a nanobot that doesn't cause an immune response. 

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts
There are lots of biocompatibile materials. I have good deal of metal in my spine. It's been there for about 15 years now and it's fine :)

I forgot about stuff like that hehehehe. But theoretically, bodily rejection of nanobots and such could be used as a weapon *cough Deus Ex cough*

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rejection, cybernetics, implants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users