Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

You can live forever, is immortality plausible

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

A great article, sure to challenge your beliefs about biology and the biotech of today (and tomorrow).

"Questions about the future of aging have been in the air lately. Are humans on the cusp of living to 120, 130, or more? What will aging look like in this new world of longevity? Will we just be adding 30, 40, 50 years to the end of life, or can we delay the process and lead normal lives to such advanced ages? Is 100 the new 60? Is immortality plausible? Or is it quack science? Two experts face off."

http://www.thedailyb...ck-science.html

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
A great article, sure to challenge your beliefs about biology and the biotech of today (and tomorrow).

"Questions about the future of aging have been in the air lately. Are humans on the cusp of living to 120, 130, or more? What will aging look like in this new world of longevity? Will we just be adding 30, 40, 50 years to the end of life, or can we delay the process and lead normal lives to such advanced ages? Is 100 the new 60? Is immortality plausible? Or is it quack science? Two experts face off."

http://www.thedailyb...ck-science.html

Believe it or not, Grey turned out to be the more rational one of the two.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
Everything ends eventually.Whats your favourite flower?
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

"Are humans on the cusp of living to 120" We have already had a human live more than 120 years. ;)

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
"Are humans on the cusp of living to 120" We have already had a human live more than 120 years. ;)
Who?

Edited by Frizz, 28 July 2013 - 05:46 AM.

“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
That Jeanne Clemente woman lived to 122 and four months, 1875-1997.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

a human living to 120, and humans living that long are not the same thing.

There is a case of a woman being pregnant with what's called a stone baby, for thirty years. That does not mean humans have thirty year pregnancies.

abnormal cases do not equate to the new human norm.

I'd say in the next seven years we will see so real breakthroughs that would change how humans deal with outside disease risks that can stain and shorten a life span. It'll likely take another ten to fifteen years for those to hit mainstream markets.

During that time we'll see some breakthrough in organ replacement and cellular aging that won't quite hit mainstream for another ten years after that. so I do think it's possible that we can push to 120s being the new 100s in twenty years. and during the time those are coming on market we'll be making break throughs that a few years down the road will push that toward 180. Especially if we make those leaps to printed organs and improved/ augmented/ artificial organs. The biggest hurdle will be neural health and maintanance.

Once we break that we'll live as long as we can swap out old for new and replenish neural cell supplies and augment with digital memory systems to hold what the meat won't.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I so wish this was true

Guyverman1990

Guyverman1990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSlocan Park, BC

100 years from now, they'll be saying the same for Time-travel.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I hope you aren't being serious, Guyver

You can't make assumptions when it comes to predictions or science. 

I can make a very good argument why time travel backwards is probably always going to be impossible; especially in the next 100 years.

I really hope that anti-aging technology works though.  It would be amazing to live forever.  Well, live forever healthy.  Which means finding a way to be happy too.  I think boredom and depression are big issues.

Edited by SG-1, 28 July 2013 - 05:47 AM.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

I agree De Grey sounded more like a scientist in that talk. I don't know what this is but it sure isn't science.

Bortz: My definition of aging is broader in that it’s not just human-driven. It’s universal. Everything in the universe ages. To me, aging is the effect of an energy flow on matter over time. That is not confined to life. It’s inorganic as well as organic. It takes in canyons and Chevys and everything.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Well, 200 years ago people looked at the concepts of telephones and televisions like we look at teleportation and time travel, so it's a valid point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users