Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Phoenix

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
One thing that the timeline doesn't mention is the Phoenix lander on Mars that was launched in 2007 and landed in 2008. Everyone seems to forget this lander, even though it discovered water ice in the Martian pole. Is this a good thing to put on the timeline?

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts
  • LocationLake Wanaka, New Zealand, 2025 C.E.
Yeah i think it should be part of the timeline, i also forgot that lander.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
Well its only listing the very important and world first sort of events. Landing a rover on mars isn't very impressive since we've been doing it since the 70's. Yes it did find some new stuff but that is kind of expected from each new mission to a planet, otherwise we wouldn't keep going back. Finding ice was kind of expected by lots of people. I just don't think its a particularly monumental event.

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Well its only listing the very important and world first sort of events. Landing a rover on mars isn't very impressive since we've been doing it since the 70's. Yes it did find some new stuff but that is kind of expected from each new mission to a planet, otherwise we wouldn't keep going back. Finding ice was kind of expected by lots of people. I just don't think its a particularly monumental event.

1: Phoenix isn't a rover, it is a stationary lander. Get your facts straight.
2: Doesn't matter what is expected, it only matters what is confirmed.
3: If finding the substance that supports life isn't monumental, I don't know what is.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,912 posts
  • LocationLondon
I agree it needs adding.

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

1: Phoenix isn't a rover, it is a stationary lander. Get your facts straight.
2: Doesn't matter what is expected, it only matters what is confirmed.
3: If finding the substance that supports life isn't monumental, I don't know what is.

Yes, it's not a rover but that's kind of an irrelevant point to care about, the technical demands of launching and landing it are the same, if not easier. My point is just that I could make a similar case for why lot's of space missions should be included which aren't. All missions have scientific merit and are all important in some way or other. Randomly picking one and insisting it's more important than all the others just seems silly. I mean we had already seen all the ice from previous missions that were orbiting mars. We knew what it was and where it was. I could just as easily say the MRO mission discovered water on mars.

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Well, I guess Kepler was unnecessary because most people already thought that Earth-like exoplanets might exist, plus, we had already discovered a handful. :dry:

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Well, I guess Kepler was unnecessary because most people already thought that Earth-like exoplanets might exist, plus, we had already discovered a handful. :dry:

at what point did i say any mission was unnecessary? there have been hundreds of missions in space and they've all been useful and taught us more about our universe.
how do you equate "not monumental" to "unnecessary.

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Oh, sorry. Word mix up there. Heres a fix for you: I guess Kepler was not monumental because most people thought that Earth-like exoplanets might exist, plus we had already discovered a handful. Also: Hubble isn't monumental, because such beautiful places in space were thought to exist. The Apollo landings weren't monumental, because we figured that we could land a man on the Moon, plus, we already had theories on what Moon rocks were made of.

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
Wow, you really love that phoenix lander. I can't argue with a love that strong, put it on the timeline. ps. hubble wasn't made with the sole objective of taking pretty pictures..

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
Wow, you don't think Hubble was monumental?! It has given mankind the first true glimpse into the heart of the universe and allowed us to see wonders that, although theorised, were only that. It's like me saying well I know there's life out there somewhere, so finding it won't be that monumental ;)
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
what's going on? Is anyone actually reading what's been typed? Hubble is great, we're all agreed on that.

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Wow, you don't think Hubble was monumental?! It has given mankind the first true glimpse into the heart of the universe and allowed us to see wonders that, although theorised, were only that. It's like me saying well I know there's life out there somewhere, so finding it won't be that monumental ;)

It was sarcasm. :p

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon

Oh, sorry. Word mix up there. Heres a fix for you:

I guess Kepler was not monumental because most people thought that Earth-like exoplanets might exist, plus we had already discovered a handful.

Also:

Hubble isn't monumental, because such beautiful places in space were thought to exist.

The Apollo landings weren't monumental, because we figured that we could land a man on the Moon, plus, we already had theories on what Moon rocks were made of.

Umm, well this is what was said? I am misreading it now?
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
he was using my comment about the phoenix lander, but changing the context to different situations which then seemed silly things to say in order to imply by analogy that my comment was silly too. However i've never been a big fan of using this method to try and make your argument have more substance, as when you change the context you pretty much change the whole meaning of the sentence. example person one says "I-Phones are pointless, android phones can do most of the same stuff" person two says "You idiot, I suppose you think assault rifles are pointless because longbows can do most of the same stuff"

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
ah, kk, was having a bad night and my sarcasm reader was on the blibk ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users