Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will wood disappear?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Something I've noticed about depictions of the future is that there is little or no wood to be seen. Most ultra-modern houses are built without wood completely as well. Do you think that wood will ever disappear as a meterial, and if so, what do you think we will use in favour of it?

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I doubt it..

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,147 posts
  • LocationLondon

Wood itself may disappear, but synthetic equivalents will still be around, since wood is an aesthetically pleasing and attractive material.

You'll just touch a button, or flick a switch, and the wall/texture will change itself.

(in fact, you won't even have to touch a button, since this process could be thought-controlled :) )

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Many issues I see that would lead to the disappearance of wood include deforestation, environmental movements, better building materials, etc. I honestly don't see why a tree that secretes oxygen into the atmosphere has to die to make some gaudy-looking paneling. (Same with animals, I want to go in-vitro)

As for your comment about ultra-modern homes lacking wood, I tend to disagree.

Posted Image

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Wood itself may disappear, but synthetic equivalents will still be around, since wood is an aesthetically pleasing and attractive material. You'll just touch a button, or flick a switch, and the wall/texture will change itself. (in fact, you won't even have to touch a button, since this process could be thought-controlled :) )

Is this clayronics you've spoken about? When do you realistically see this technology available?
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

Wood itself may disappear, but synthetic equivalents will still be around, since wood is an aesthetically pleasing and attractive material. You'll just touch a button, or flick a switch, and the wall/texture will change itself. (in fact, you won't even have to touch a button, since this process could be thought-controlled :) )

What you're talking about is skeuormorphism. It's the same thing in iOS where the calendar looks like a real calendar, the clock looks like a real analog clock and the 'notes' app looks like real sheets of paper. Apple are actually phasing out skeuomorphism for iOS 7 for some reason.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I heard wood isn't used often in buildings/houses in the U.K.

I used to work in construction and my dad was once a construction worker.  So I know how to frame houses, but I heard wood is expensive over there and they use other material like metal.  Metal is only used in large houses in the USA.

We have lots of trees in Texas and we make a lot of lumber there so it is a cheap, and great way to make stuff with.

I can see wood being used differently sure.  I can't see many houses being built with wood in 100 years, but I bet it will be decorative.  Fancy, or skeuromorphism.

Edited by SG-1, 27 July 2013 - 05:03 AM.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,147 posts
  • LocationLondon

Wood itself may disappear, but synthetic equivalents will still be around, since wood is an aesthetically pleasing and attractive material.   You'll just touch a button, or flick a switch, and the wall/texture will change itself.   (in fact, you won't even have to touch a button, since this process could be thought-controlled :) )

Is this clayronics you've spoken about? When do you realistically see this technology available?

Yes, claytronics. No later than 2040 I'd imagine.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I'm quite amazes that after all these years they still build houses out of wood in America. I know the materials are cheap, but the problem with that is... well, the materials are cheap! In a British house, a fire can absolutely gut the place, but the actual building structure would remain intact as it's built with bricks. In the USA, the wooden houses just burn to the ground. They also blow apart in storms which is very rarely a problem in the UK.

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • 2,522 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US
I'm quite amazes that after all these years they still build houses out of wood in America. I know the materials are cheap, but the problem with that is... well, the materials are cheap! In a British house, a fire can absolutely gut the place, but the actual building structure would remain intact as it's built with bricks. In the USA, the wooden houses just burn to the ground. They also blow apart in storms which is very rarely a problem in the UK.

Well the history behind it lends to us having wooden homes. The vast amount of land available was kind of a given. :p Which then also gives way to us having a huge supply of lumber. Wood is also easier to finance and cheaper to insure. Brick wouldn't do squat in tornado alley either. Concrete though is becoming popular. 

For the future though I'd go with wjfox on this. Wood is still pleasing to quite a few people and synthetic equivalents will help move beyond the original material. I don't see wood lasting as the primary source for construction beyond the 21st century. 

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,126 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

wood is carbon sequestration, and can be sustainably done, where a new tree is planted for every tree removed. as raw materials go it's excellent, you can bend it, lathe it, polish it, paint it. It's isulation values are better than metal or stone, for both temperature and sound. and the chips and flakes from it can be made into particle board, heating fuel or mulch, heck you can even use it to home grow mushrooms.

it's also attractive and light weight where a baseball bat made of steel or concrete would be horribly heavy and hurt like mad on your hands to hit anything with. It's easier to put screws and nails in new places in wood too.

The trick with addative manufacturing of other building materials is that every eventuality needs to be planned for. If in five years you want to change out a cheap front door for double doors with glas panels... way harder to do in metals, concretes and brick than it is to work with wood.

but that's mostly just houses, wood in other areas are likewise valuble tools. It can and should be used for a good long time more.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
I love wood.
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

We will probably grow genetically modified trees that produce wood with unique properties. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users