Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What Does "Futuristic" Look Like?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,773 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Self-explanatory. Describe what looks, sounds, feels futuristic to you.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
Lots of glass, white and electronics
  • eldigato likes this
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Frizz

Frizz

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
As in tall glass buildings, almost everything being white and cities looking like times square.
- Alexander McQueen

Frizz

Frizz

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
Actually I think they'll look more cyberpunk than anythink, like dark colours and vibrant lighting.
- Alexander McQueen

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

"Futuristic" to me is something strange and alien to my modern sensibilities.

There is a lot of "Jetsonning" in pop culture portrayals of the future, which is projecting modern problems on futuristic people (the opposite is "Flintstoning"). To me futuristic isn't white and shiny with hard angles, glass, and flashy lights, when I see that more than anything I think of modern portrayals of the future.

Over and over throughout history we've seen that the futuristic vision of one generation becomes retro to the next. To people in the '50's, fins were in. To people in the '70's, it was vinyl and wood veneer. In the '90's, the future was eye-killing secondary colors and hoverboards. And now, it's white and shiny. This "iPod aesthetic", as I've come to call it, won't last long but instead will be replaced by something stranger.

I have a feeling our future will most closely resemble cyberpunk, but its appearance will be completely different from the way we envision it now. Strange and alien to modern eyes, as I said.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,773 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Like how our contemporary 2010s style would be futuristic but a foreign, alien kind of futuristic to someone in 1953? Where wires blaring strange music is hooked from people's ears to tiny computers? 

Edited by The Young Homo Maximus, 26 July 2013 - 07:33 PM.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,724 posts

Exactly.

I believe "Fahrenheit 451" is probably the most accurate fictional portrayal of the modern time we have from the '50's.

TVs everywhere? Check. Popular anti-intellectualism? Check. Machines that play music into our ears? Check. Systematic extermination of books and those who read them? ...eh... not yet, anyways. Morphine-spitting robotic enforcers? No.

I think the thing nobody saw (save for those with strong ties to the military) was the advent of the internet. The internet is already a revolutionary, highly disruptive technology, but we deal with it despite the best efforts of those who hate it (the government). I feel like transhumanism is going to be something very few people will be prepared for because they're always into the whole "Jetsonning" thing.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Posted Image

• Raklian and Yuli Ban like this

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

Depends. How far into the future?

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Frizz

Frizz

• Members
  • 2,375 posts

[img]http://wallpapersus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/explosions-atomic-bomb.jpg[/img]

Ru the old dude on the bench? Lol
- Alexander McQueen

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I guess that's me in 2070

Looks pretty futuristic to me.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

rtardx

rtardx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

RayMC

RayMC

F̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ᴛ̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ʀ̷̲̅ᴇ̷̲̅

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted Image

Minus these strange shaped rocks

2100+

Edit: Remove the religious statue too.

Edited by RayMC, 29 July 2013 - 04:28 PM.

• José Andrade likes this

“Wʜᴀᴛ ɪs ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ, ᴡᴀs ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇᴅ.” - Wɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ Bʟᴀᴋᴇ

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,724 posts

How do you know that's religious iconography? Maybe they're historical figures, or the founders. I would keep them because they look nice.

RayMC

RayMC

F̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ᴛ̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ʀ̷̲̅ᴇ̷̲̅

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
How do you know that's religious iconography? Maybe they're historical figures, or the founders. I would keep them because they look nice.

I don't know they look like God statues to me. Especially the one in the right. She is sitting on a gas giant like planet, while the one in the left, juding by his hands, is praying, maybe?

If they really are historical figures than keep them.

Edited by RayMC, 29 July 2013 - 05:28 PM.

“Wʜᴀᴛ ɪs ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ, ᴡᴀs ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇᴅ.” - Wɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ Bʟᴀᴋᴇ

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
^Do you believe that the future will really be as dystopian as that?

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States
^Do you believe that the future will really be as dystopian as that?

Well, with global warming, food shortages, rising sea levels. Yes to a degree  But I think that is in the further future, in the near term future I think we'll have lots of technological progress and culture advancement.. but I think that eventually it just can't be so "perfect" anymore. To a degree, the world is already like that.. with war, and conflict. Of course some areas of the world will advance, and become "utopias" but for the most part, I think Earth would be a hellhole.. 

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I always get the feeling that we will go through a period of intense dystopia, but recover from it and eventually form a world of permanent utopia, once we have singularity and transhumanism.

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I agree with that.. I just don't think all of the world will be a utopia, maybe it will be.. but then look at the world today, some of the world is heavily developed.. while yet a lot of people in the world are still in poverty. Plus, the resources to give "utopia" to all 7+ billion people would be staggering . Plus, there is so much greed and corruption in the world. 

-Matthew

-Milton Friedman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users