Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Future of driving?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

Will cars be as necessary and vital in some parts of the world (such as in some parts of the U.S.) in the far(ther) future as they are today? Or will new technologies such as teleportation, et cetera replace current/modern cars by that point in time?

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

When and if human teleportation ever comes to be (it's one of the few things I don't have the utmost confidence is possible), I imagine that it will supplant every other form of transportation with the general populace. Can't get better than teleportation. Maybe in 100 or 150 years there'll be cars that go thousands of miles per hour and automatically change into a seafaring vehicle if getting to one's destination requires sailing the seas, or that are simply made out of material capable of driving across the water.

Edited by Casey, 27 July 2013 - 06:29 AM.

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
I think maybe public transportation will become the most popular and efficient form of transport as we become far more urban and form more mega-cities.
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts
When and if human teleportation ever comes to be (it's one of the few things I don't have the utmost confidence is possible), I imagine that it will supplant every other form of transportation with the general populace. Can't get better than teleportation. Maybe in 100 or 150 years there'll be cars that go thousands of miles per hour and automatically change into a seafaring vehicle if getting to one's destination requires sailing the seas, or that are simply made out of material capable of driving across the water.

The concept of cars driving thousands of miles per hour appears to be extremely dangerous, though. Also, I think that they were already able to teleport light to a different location several years ago.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts
I think maybe public transportation will become the most popular and efficient form of transport as we become far more urban and form more mega-cities.

I really hope so, but it has to be extremely efficient and cheap public transportation.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
By 5000 I think that teleportation will replace all moving vehicles. But "driving" will disappear within even this century. Self-driving vehicles will take over, between now and 3000 cars will be replaced by "pods" that you just give your destination to and get taken there. That's what I think will happen.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

teleportation will likely at first require a good amount of energy, but as it becomes more mainstream it will likely become a part of public transportation. I agree with futureoftoday in that public transportation in the form of pods will be the mainstream of the future. Perhaps further into the future than that, teleport pads will be integrated in that system. So you can take a pod down the street, teleport to china, then take a pod to your friends house. Estimated 30 minute time travel. Pretty good for a 12,000 mile trip. lol.

I don't think teleportation in that scale will be possible for a while though, maybe a few hundred years. But ofcourse flying cars or all terrain vehicles could be the next form of transportation. I'd love my own / a public transportation system of "cars" that can fly, drive, be a boat, or submarine... And maybe eventually, a spacecraft. Ofcourse right now you can't imagine what such a vehicle would look like. But that's how the future is! it always suprises us

Edited by Squillimy, 28 July 2013 - 09:25 PM.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users