Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Can technology advancements decrease people intelligence?

Technology Intelligence IQ Mental retardation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"][color=#ee82ee;]Have you ever thought about technology is being(or will begin)to decrease people intelligence and QI in the future?If technology make everything very easy and effortless to achieve,this will have a negative impact in people intelligence?For exemple,if we have autonomous programs and machines ,nanobots,matter replication,brain interfaces and other technology to do everything for you just by thought,we have no need to make any mental effort and learning because everything in life is so easy.This could diminish people intelligence because you aren't training or "working out" your brain and it will be like your brain is actually "atrophing".Do you agree with me?[/color][/font]

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"][color=#ee82ee;]I'm not sure if just IQ would be affected but I think the capacity of reflexion about things,judgement,good sense,criativity and even maturity could have negative results.Technology widespread and the lack of difficulties and efforts in life could affect all this.[/color][/font]

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"][color=#ee82ee;]It may seem a bit idiot and nonsense,but if you study story you will see that all people with the greatest intelligence and criativity and the greatest inventors existed in ancient times,when technology didn't existed(Even eletricity didn't existed).The philosophers of the ancient greece,Isaac Newton,Galileu Galilei,Albert Eintein,Thomas Edison,Leonardo da Vinci,etc were all born before the 20th century,but nowadays we don't have any well-known super intelligent person or a great inventors.In ancient times,these guys made diffcult efforts to discover things that are known today,but today everything is done using supercomputers and scientists don't need to break their minds to discover or create anything.[/color][/font]

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"][color=#ee82ee;]It would be very interesting if the timeline had a graph about the avarage IQ over time in the future.The avarage human intelligence is 100,so 100 years from now would have decreased to 85,in 2200 decreased to 65tc...[/color][/font]

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"][color=#ee82ee;]Do you believe that technology could lead most people to have mental retardation in the future?(The people of 2313 would appear dumb and retarded compared to nowadays for exemple)[/color][/font]

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"][color=#ee82ee;]I've read that from 1950 to 2000 avarage IQ dropped 0,5point.It's a little,but considering the tech progress it would drop even more in the future...[/color][/font]

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"][color=#ee82ee;]Do you think that modern lifestyle could also decrease intelligence?Bad foods,less sleep and more sedentary life would affect intelligence as well?[/color][/font]

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"][color=#ee82ee;] [/color][/font]

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I think so, intelligence is more than factual knowledge.

Being sedentary and lazy is not intelligent.  It is killing yourself slowly.

I think we are fine.  People aren't going to be retarded in the future. 

Socrates was afraid books would make people dumber by preventing them from having to remember things.  Do you think we would be better off without the written word?  New tools in technology allow us to overcome problems and advance science farther.  Increasing our understanding of how the universe works. 

You loose some, and you gain some.  What intelligence we loose we will not need.  It is not atrophy, now some people can just be lazy and never learn new skills but that isn't because of technology.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

It's probably just my short term perspective, but it does seem like society is increasingly divided among the smart and dumb. Smart people getting smarter by making good use of technology, and dumb people getting dumber by using tech to laze around. Then again, once we get the ability to manipulate intelligence directly it's anyone's game.

Edited by WithoutCoincidence, 01 August 2013 - 08:54 PM.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

I think we will be able to increase intelligence soon with it. ;) Maybe a lot more.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

most geniuses or the people with really high IQ are dont exert to think much because they probably grew up not learning hard work since they can easily pass subjects with minimal effort. statistics show that superhigh iq is not an indicator to success sin many geniuses died or spent their lives in poverty. so if we have the technology to raise our iq to a hundred or more, technological advancement will make us more intelligent instead of the opposite. but it would probably make us lazier.

Edited by Zeitgeist123, 01 August 2013 - 10:16 PM.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Technology, Intelligence, IQ, Mental retardation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users