Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

James Cameron promises a new Avatar movie every year, starting in 2016

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

I agree with ev, the visuals were breathtaking and the sequels probably even more so.

But the story was beyond terrible.

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

I wish they didn't use what looked like an exact replica of Jupiter as Pandora's planet. They could have made it more unique.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

How exactly? More stripes would look like Saturn, no stripes or dots, would look like Uranus and Neptune :) I think they found nice middleground.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
The movie itself sucks. Its plot it brings nothing new to the table, and as mentioned it's basically Dances with Wolves IN SPACE.

You do know, there are only seven plots?
http://tvtropes.org/...SevenBasicPlots

And now for a bit of nitpicking: the Naavi do NOT look as if they evolved from any other indigenous life on Pandora. Just sayin'.

http://www.mengyanko...r_files/006.JPG
No.

Moral of the movie: James Cameron's tall blue imaginary fur-smurfs are perfect, humans suck. Plus a whole lot of White Guilt.

Nah... I was rooting for Colonel Badass and Earth hardware.

Seriously, IMO James Cameron is one of Hollywood's most overrated figures.

Terminator, Aliens, Abyss, True Lies... no. Not overrated :p

EDIT: And what are the sequels going to be about? The first movie tied the end up in terms of the main characters' personal lives, except the fact that humans are still invaders and would fuck shit up upon their return to Pandora with a full-fledged military fleet and nuclear weapons.

He'll probably bring more stuff from earlier version of script, use whole dying Earth theme, probably add depth that couldn't fit first movie as it was already 3 hours long. Evil Na'vi, humans that are not only greedy assholes but also see only way to save Earth in Pandora. Exploration of Alpha Centauri system. There must be stuff to tell if he decided to go for 3 movies instead of 2. Also there's still hoping for prequel with more Quaritch badassery and early colonization of Pandora.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,020 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I disagree with all others who say the movie had a terrible plot.

How can a plot be considered terrible when it's in fact just jigsaw-assembled regurgitated stuff from older movies - the very successful ones? If Avatar was the very first movie we've ever seen in our whole lives, it would be the greatest thing ever to happen to us.

It's all relative - our experience is what makes us want to judge the new thing that comes along. If I'm bored with this new piece of work because I've seen it before in older works, I'll probably say it's terrible. Otherwise, I'd say it was awesome.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Maybe because I've seen probably north of 1500 movies I just don't expect to be surprised in any way...

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,020 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Maybe because I've seen probably north of 1500 movies I just don't expect to be surprised in any way...

So, it seems we've been going to the theaters because of the visuals alone, perhaps? It seems to be the biggest factor that keeps improving.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,699 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably
Moral of the movie: James Cameron's tall blue imaginary fur-smurfs are perfect, humans suck. Plus a whole lot of White Guilt.

Nah... I was rooting for Colonel Badass and Earth hardware.

Root for whichever faction you choose, but let's remind ourselves that many, MANY people became depressed after seeing this movie upon returning to real life, which to me is just mind-bogglingly stupid. It's a work of fiction.

The entire point of the movie was made to glorify natural beauty and undermine good-ol' human nature. It falls very far on the "Harmony" end of the Harmony vs. Discipline Sliding Scale. Seeing as the futuristic ideology present on this forum falls more on the Disciplinary end, I'm surprised so many people like it.

The Na'vi go nowhere with their society because they have everything they ever could have needed, and somehow use birth protection to maintain their numbers (???). It's impossible to draw parallels Pandora (a magical single-biome god-network of bioluminescent paradise) and Earth (an ecologically diverse world of relatively hostile environments). It would have been interesting if Pandora was postulated as "an Earth that could have been" by making this world at least a little more plausible.

And here's 50 reasons the movie is silly

And here's a far more coherent explanation.

You do know, there are only seven plots?
http://tvtropes.org/...SevenBasicPlots

EDIT: There's a difference between conventions and cliches. Upon rewatching the movie I lost count of how many cliches I managed to point out.

Edited by EVanimations, 05 August 2013 - 07:38 PM.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Edited by Lunix688, 05 August 2013 - 07:38 PM.

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,699 posts

You'll never see college students quoting this movie 30 years from now, I guarantee you.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
So, it seems we've been going to the theaters because of the visuals alone, perhaps? It seems to be the biggest factor that keeps improving.
Not just visuals. There's much that I enjoy in movies. Old but well told stories, visuals, well executed action sequences, good acting, playing with clishes, cinematography... Plot is just one element.

Root for whichever faction you choose, but let's remind ourselves that many, MANY people became depressed after seeing this movie upon returning to real life, which to me is just mind-bogglingly stupid. It's a work of fiction.
You actually know anyone who became depressed after seeing it? Or do you reffer to stupid tabloid press?

The entire point of the movie was made to glorify natural beauty and undermine good-ol' human nature.
Well that's your interpretation. It's up to you, what you take out of movie.

And here's 50 reasons the movie is silly

And here's a far more coherent explanation.
I see those 50 reasons every week. You can write such crap for every movie.

EDIT: There's a difference between conventions and cliches. Upon rewatching the movie I lost count of how many cliches I managed to point out.
Whatever floats your boat. You can play smartass and point out stupid/cliched elements of movie if you enjoy that. I wonder why would you rewatch movie you didn't like. I'd watch something else instead.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,699 posts
Whatever floats your boat. You can play smartass and point out stupid/cliched elements of movie if you enjoy that. I wonder why would you rewatch movie you didn't like. I'd watch something else instead.

I didn't realize I didn't like it the first time I watched it, I was blown away by the visuals. But the second time I saw it I focused more on things other than story like the plot and just... ATROCIOUS writing.

I was wrong about James Cameron being one of Hollywood's most overrated figures, but I guess I should say that Avatar is nowhere near his best work and his decision to make it a cash-cow franchise is ill-advised.

Of course, these things are very subjective, like differing musical tastes. If my rationalization for not liking the movie isn't enough for you, just know that I don't like the movie.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

I'll try to remember that ;)

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

i consider this a threat from Cameron rather than a promise.

• zEVerzan likes this

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Jake Sully gettin that alien native Pussy. what a boss

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

rtardx

rtardx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
I don't understand why so many people hate Avatar. I really enjoyed it.

James Cameron is a terrible screen writer and ripped the entire movie off from Dances with Wolves as I've already twice posted. You're not enjoying Avatar, you're enjoying Dances with Wolves when you watch it. That's why people didn't like it, because it wasn't an original movie.

http://imgur.com/MEgVf.jpg.jpg

Take a look at this quote that I believe is from an Avatar-Warhammer 40k crossover fan fiction. That's right, someone who writes crossover fan fiction writes better than James Cameron. Imagine how much the line could have improved the movie by making the bad guys relatable.

Still though, The adaption itself was extremely remarkable.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I'm not a big Avatar fan. The film felt... like a child wrote it. A bunch of natives and their steeds are able to defeat human technology? Give me a break!

What difference does it make?

RayMC

RayMC

F̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ᴛ̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ʀ̷̲̅ᴇ̷̲̅

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

The graphics we saw in Avatar, will be mainstream in the next few years, with the next generation of consoles (PS4, XBOX1) and PC :D

“Wʜᴀᴛ ɪs ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ, ᴡᴀs ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇᴅ.” - Wɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ Bʟᴀᴋᴇ

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Avatar is one of the most incredible films I have ever seen, if the sequels live up to the original, this could be one of the most successful film series in history.

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

Avatar brings to the big screen what The Matrix did back in 1999... The Matrix perfected green-screen shooting and introduced "bullet time". Avatar brings that technological advancement in the form of CGI. Unfortunately it didn't bring a new story along with it. The Matrix left us a question as to whether or not we could all be in a simulated environment. Avatar left me wanting to sing "Colors of the wind" (Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users