Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

When will we be able to change people's voices?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,320 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

Such as for post-puberty tr*nsgend*r people who want their voices to be changed?

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
If I had to guess, I'd say 2040s. I wouldn't be surprised if it was even sooner than that.

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin

I wonder if people will want to make use of this technology a lot? I mean, a voice can be a very personal thing, and imagine if your partner or someone very close to you (parents, siblings, friends, ...) suddenly sound completely different while they look the same. Talking on the phone would be totally strange! It's bound to create a lot of disturbance, at least at the beginning.

I don't know whether I'd like to change my boice, to be honest. Would you? I'd expect it to be possible in a couple of decades...

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,320 posts
I don't know whether I'd like to change my boice, to be honest. Would you? I'd expect it to be possible in a couple of decades...

If I decide to get a sex change in several hundred years (if cryonics works, that is), then Probably Yes.

OunknnownO

OunknnownO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

You really want a sex change don't you?

PS. I'm not judging you everyone has it's own thing.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Such as for post-puberty tr*nsgend*r people who want their voices to be changed?

Out of interest, why did you censor the word 'transgender'?

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,320 posts

Out of interest, why did you censor the word 'transgender'?

Because I don't want the prudes at Google to shut down this website or to do something similar to this.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,320 posts
You really want a sex change don't you?

PS. I'm not judging you everyone has it's own thing.

I'm certainly interested in the idea of me getting a sex change. However, I want to fully think this through, and to go baby steps at a time (such as minor cross-dressing inside my house, followed by greater cross-dressing inside my house, et cetera). As I said before, though, I'm not rich, so any sex change plans which I might have and/or develop will probably need to wait several hundred years (if I successfully get cryogenically preserved and then successfully get revived).

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
several hundred years

Damn, you're really pessimistic about the future, aren't you?

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,320 posts
several hundred years

Damn, you're really pessimistic about the future, aren't you?

In regards to cryogenic preservation and then being revived, Yes.

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

I don't know exactly when, as I don't really have much basis for cosmetic surgery predictions, but I reckon that it will very likely be over the next three decades. I may get my voice changed in the future, but I don't know yet...

Edited by Thaizasaskand, 30 August 2013 - 10:57 AM.

San

San

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

You can already do this.

http://en.wikipedia....Vocal_surgeries

To my knowledge there are some risks, and most trans women prefer to do the long method of just practising lots until they can speak naturally more feminine.

For trans men who want a lower voice, female to male HRT completely masculinises voices.  Testosterone's effects on the vocal cords are quite hard to reverse which is why trans women find the process of changing their voice difficult (and some opt for surgery), but just giving yourself a male puberty is enough for a lower voice.

MTF vocal surgery is often not needed though.  Most people who've been through a male puberty can in fact practice their way into a female voice, though obviously this takes a reasonable amount of time and effort.

Edited by San, 04 September 2013 - 04:24 AM.

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

^I do remember reading about this a while back, but it is a very risky procedure and doesn't always work that well. For some reason, I was thinking of accent-changing surgeries.

San

San

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Yes it is risky and doesn't always work well, but the question was about when we will be able to do it, not when it will be 100% safe and effective.

I do not think you can have a surgery to change an accent as it's not a physical property of your voice but a learned way of speaking.

In my accent dancer and cancer don't rhyme, but in others they do, it would not be possible to perform a surgery to make someone who pronounces dancer and cancer in a way that rhymes to make them say them in a way that doesn't rhyme.

inkybinky3

inkybinky3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationAbu-Dhabi, UAE, Middle East, Asia, The Earth, A Solar System, The Milky Way, The/A Universe

I don't understand why testosterone can change ftm's voices but oestrogen/estrogen can't change mtf's.

inkybinky3

inkybinky3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationAbu-Dhabi, UAE, Middle East, Asia, The Earth, A Solar System, The Milky Way, The/A Universe

Yes it is risky and doesn't always work well, but the question was about when we will be able to do it, not when it will be 100% safe and effective.

I do not think you can have a surgery to change an accent as it's not a physical property of your voice but a learned way of speaking.

In my accent dancer and cancer don't rhyme, but in others they do, it would not be possible to perform a surgery to make someone who pronounces dancer and cancer in a way that rhymes to make them say them in a way that doesn't rhyme.

You never know what technology will be/is able to do in the future/present!

inkybinky3

inkybinky3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

I don't understand why testosterone can change ftm's voices but oestrogen/estrogen can't change mtf's.

I was about to tell this person why, then I noticed that that person is me!

inkybinky3

inkybinky3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

You can already do this.

http://en.wikipedia....Vocal_surgeries

To my knowledge there are some risks, and most trans women prefer to do the long method of just practising lots until they can speak naturally more feminine.

For trans men who want a lower voice, female to male HRT completely masculinises voices.  Testosterone's effects on the vocal cords are quite hard to reverse which is why trans women find the process of changing their voice difficult (and some opt for surgery), but just giving yourself a male puberty is enough for a lower voice.

MTF vocal surgery is often not needed though.  Most people who've been through a male puberty can in fact practice their way into a female voice, though obviously this takes a reasonable amount of time and effort.

In another place in the article it says: Language patterns - The language that women use differs from that of men, although the degree of variation can be quite different from one language to the next (relative to English, it is extremely pronounced in Japanese, for instance).

• Tag Questions - Example: "It's a beautiful day, isn't it?" A man, on the other hand, would be more likely to simply declare, "It is a beautiful day."[citation needed]

Interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users