Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What will nostalgia look like in the future?

music decade nostalgia pop culture

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

tigerghost

tigerghost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE / Quincy, IL

What do you think people in the 2020s or the 2030s will feel nostalgic about?

How people will feel nostalgic towards 2000s music will be interesting because the 2000s didn't have a distinct style like how the 1990s had grunge or the 1970s had disco. Nostalgia for 2000s music will be as diverse as the decade was, with some people liking 2000s rock and others liking 2000s rap, ect... Artists like Three Days Grace, Nickelback, and Linkin Park will begin entering the Classic Rock column, and other artists like Justin Timberlake, Brittany Spears, and the Black Eyed Peas will enter 'Flackback' rotations in the mid-to-late 2020s. 

By the 2030s, I don't think people will have much interest in 20th Century pop culture, because by then it would just seem too old for the average person. In fact, I would think that there would be some kind of a resentment to that era due to political partisanship and a reluctance to invest in the future [their present]. 

Just think; by 2033:

Back To The Future was released 48 years ago! The original Star Trek premiered 67 years ago!

Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" would have been released 42 years ago! September 11th would have occurred 32 years ago!

Windows 95 was released 38 years ago!

Facebook debuted 29 years ago! Princess Diana's death occurred 36 years ago!

Madonna would be 75 years old!

The iPhone was released 26 years ago!

Say, a high school in the 2020s held a decade's day, where students could dress up in stereotypical fashion from a said era; in this case, the 2000s. I would think they would look at Disney Channel stars from the era (Hannah Montana, High School Musical), emo bands (eyeliner, skinny jeans, and straight, dyed black hair), polo shirts, and skater shoes for inspiration. Accessories associated with stereotypical 2000s fashion may include wristbands like the Livestrong and, in the case of a future high schooler participating in a "decade day," carrying around a flip-phone or an older iPod model.

It's a bit too early to say much about 2010s fashion [since we are still early in the decade], but from what I've observed in my college and from my siblings fashion sense, I'd say the 2010s are more colorful and hipster-like. So, if someone participated in this same "decade day" event at a future high school in stereotypical 2010s fashion, I'd say anything hipster-like or neon would be acceptable. There is a touch of a grunge revival seen in some modern hipster styles too, as the '90s approach "retro" status.

So, this is very simplistic, but a fairly accurate time table of dominant fashion trends by decade:

1920s: Flapper and Jazz Age fashions

1930s: Depression-era thrifty fashion

1940s: Tabloid/Conservative Hollywood fashion era, Age of the suit

1950s: Conservative Post-war, Rock n' Roll/Elvis-inspired teen fashion 

1960s: Hippie/Counterculture fashion 1970s: Disco fashion 1980s: New Wave, Urban 1990s: Grunge, Rave 2000s: Collage of styles from previous eras [20th Century epilogue], Emo 2010s: Hipster, Neon

Edited by tigerghost, 13 August 2013 - 09:32 AM.

• Casey and TheAsianGuy_LOL like this

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I don't if future generation will be nostalgic of the early 2000s as I am now for the early 1980s. I felt romanticism back than I rarely feel them now. it may be that past emotions built up on the brain and the become romantic once they go on a deep past. That said we can not frame time so much these days. Change is at a fast rate, much more than before and social interactions are more digital which remain less impressed in the brain. 

People in the 20s and early 30s will be nostalgic of our times but not an extended degree.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

Let me think more about future generations in general, but personally, I am most nostalgic about the 1998-2000 time period and the run up to the 2000 U.S. Presidential election (which was very important in terms of determining the direction of our country in the early 21st century).

ralfy

ralfy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

It will likely involve missing most middle class amenities.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Nostalgia will look like whatever period of time they choose to look at.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I'm nostalgic about 2003-2008. Those were the best times I ever had. But only because of the friends I had. Of course, now they're jerks. But that's people.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,032 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I am nostalgic about things yet to come.

That's called futurism. :)

• Jakob likes this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

The thing that comes to mind is that everything one generation has to be nostalgic about has happened before. But it's the combinations and priorities that make the difference.

The hipsters, are the hippies, are the bohemians, are the renaissance ...

hackers, are the garage hobbyist, are the victorian ametuer scientists, are the Da Vincis...

ect ect.

I think in all likelyhood we will look back on this time period and wish we had been more involved in the amazing changes that happened and could know about the amazing things that lay ahead.

We are looking at fundimental changes in the way we live, manufacture, learn, eat, socialize and make a living. What we have now in many ways will look quaint and almost rustic. In some ways the things that seem important now will look like idealistic dreams, and paranoid anxieties. And we'll look back from our point of view marvel that we had absolutely no idea about things that we take for granted.

An example I like to use in cases like this volume of change is the idea of bacteria, or the zero. There was a time that these had not been conceptualized. The moments of their addition to the understanding of the world we have, changed our ability to manage and think about things. Today it's hard to conceptualize that there was a time before these realizations and it stretched all the way back to the dawn of civilization. we cannot fathom a population with so little concept of bacteria that they can't understand why crapping in the open in your front yard and not washing your hands are health risks (it's still happening in places around the world). nor do we fathom the difficulty in looking at records of 10100 bolts of silk vs 11 bolts (over simplification but you get the point).

• Casey likes this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,700 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably
What do you think people in the 2020s or the 2030s will feel nostalgic about?

How people will feel nostalgic towards 2000s music will be interesting because the 2000s didn't have a distinct style like how the 1990s had grunge or the 1970s had disco. Nostalgia for 2000s music will be as diverse as the decade was, with some people liking 2000s rock and others liking 2000s rap, ect... Artists like Three Days Grace, Nickelback, and Linkin Park will begin entering the Classic Rock column, and other artists like Justin Timberlake, Brittany Spears, and the Black Eyed Peas will enter 'Flackback' rotations in the mid-to-late 2020s.

You bring up an interesting point here. I feel like a lot of people in our generation will not feel nostalgic for music, seeing as there wasn't anything particularly notable.

My mom remembers certain phases in her life by the concerts she went to.

In place of music, I remember my favorite video games of the time. In grade school I played Pokemon, in middle school I played Halo, in high school I played Spore, and now, in college, my current favorite game is Minecraft. Note that I'm not a gamer, but I definitely go through phases, and I sort of fish for memories based on what game I was playing at the time.

• Italian Ufo likes this
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

zen_mutiny

zen_mutiny

Post-Singularitarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationIndiana, United States

Information, including the various styles of various decades, centuries, etc will permeate the collective consciousness much more than today, due to being more available due to even more ubiquitous Internet access. Styles from the 80's, 90's, etc will be less likely to be considered "retro," because the very awareness that 'retro' is a thing, coupled with the exponential growth of memetic influences through the Internet will make styles of recent decades less likely to fade from the public view in the first place. Basically, when everything that ever existed becomes available all at once, all of the time, at the very least, these decades of fashion, ideas, etc may be only reduced to subcultures, or rather, intermixed with everything else that we're constantly culturally aware of. As past decades become commonplace on a constant, permanent basis, we may look further and further back in time for our 'retro' fix. We may instead see a resurgence in fashion and lifestyle choices from Renaissance Italy, or ancient Greece, or Medieval Europe. Those will be the retro of the future, at least, until they, too, are assimilated to the point that they are not novel anymore, at least to the accomplished cultural elite (if one can exist in the informational democracy of the future), and they move on to seek out or invent new, more novel things, perhaps by combining elements of past, present, and future (like Steampunk today), to create new fashion biospheres that will join in the rest in the 'Perma-Now,' to be enjoyed in their natural state, or to be further cannibalized to satiate our ever-growing appetite for the new, the unique, and the original.

Edited by zen_mutiny, 14 August 2013 - 01:12 AM.

tigerghost

tigerghost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE / Quincy, IL

I have a feeling that the '20s are going to be a rather more conservative decade, especially in the United States. I regret posting this, but it would make sense that some people would feel nostalgic about the Bush administration and the several years of economic growth due to the housing bubble (2004 to 2007). If we aren't involved in another senseless war, I think I could live through it. No doubt that deregulation would lead to another bubble, so at least for a while the economy would do well. Obama's ambitious healthcare reform venture in the 2010s will inevitably lead to a Republican-majority in all three branches of government, so I would expect a drastic slowdown to scientific research and education funding. Much of the new technologies will have to rely on private sources as a result of budget cuts. I envision some significant changes to the electoral map; the most significant of which would be Texas entering the swing state, "leaning blue" column due to rapid demographic and urbanization changes.

I also believe that the 2020s will be the last decade that Americans will be caught between partisan "culture war" issues such as abortion, same-sex marriage, stem cell research, alternative energy, and teaching evolution. After 2029, the proponents of the culture war that existed between American subcultures will be present, but seem nonexistent and powerless due to being drowned out by the voices of tolerance and reason. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that there would be an "atheist/secular Great Awakening," where secularists and humanists finally realize their influence, organize, and can take on the social conservatives head-to-head on the political stage. This of course would be a continuation of the strides that secularists have made in improving their public image throughout the '00s and '10s. Re-interest in the works of Richard Dawkins and the late-Christopher Hitchens would rejuvenate the movement. I can't envision a scenario in which the United States becomes more religious, because Generation X and Generation Y are pushing the nation more secular, which is only going to continue and become more noticeable as Gen X and Y matures and reaches political power.

The '20s are sure to be one turbulent, revolutionary decade indeed; I'd say probably the most significant decade of the 21st Century. But, I digress.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
Information, including the various styles of various decades, centuries, etc will permeate the collective consciousness much more than today, due to being more available due to even more ubiquitous Internet access. Styles from the 80's, 90's, etc will be less likely to be considered "retro," because the very awareness that 'retro' is a thing, coupled with the exponential growth of memetic influences through the Internet will make styles of recent decades less likely to fade from the public view in the first place. Basically, when everything that ever existed becomes available all at once, all of the time, at the very least, these decades of fashion, ideas, etc may be only reduced to subcultures, or rather, intermixed with everything else that we're constantly culturally aware of. As past decades become commonplace on a constant, permanent basis, we may look further and further back in time for our 'retro' fix. We may instead see a resurgence in fashion and lifestyle choices from Renaissance Italy, or ancient Greece, or Medieval Europe. Those will be the retro of the future, at least, until they, too, are assimilated to the point that they are not novel anymore, at least to the accomplished cultural elite (if one can exist in the informational democracy of the future), and they move on to seek out or invent new, more novel things, perhaps by combining elements of past, present, and future (like Steampunk today), to create new fashion biospheres that will join in the rest in the 'Perma-Now,' to be enjoyed in their natural state, or to be further cannibalized to satiate our ever-growing appetite for the new, the unique, and the original.

that would be cool if it happens

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts
I have a feeling that the '20s are going to be a rather more conservative decade, especially in the United States. I regret posting this, but it would make sense that some people would feel nostalgic about the Bush administration and the several years of economic growth due to the housing bubble (2004 to 2007). If we aren't involved in another senseless war, I think I could live through it. No doubt that deregulation would lead to another bubble, so at least for a while the economy would do well. Obama's ambitious healthcare reform venture in the 2010s will inevitably lead to a Republican-majority in all three branches of government, so I would expect a drastic slowdown to scientific research and education funding. Much of the new technologies will have to rely on private sources as a result of budget cuts. I envision some significant changes to the electoral map; the most significant of which would be Texas entering the swing state, "leaning blue" column due to rapid demographic and urbanization changes.

I also believe that the 2020s will be the last decade that Americans will be caught between partisan "culture war" issues such as abortion, same-sex marriage, stem cell research, alternative energy, and teaching evolution. After 2029, the proponents of the culture war that existed between American subcultures will be present, but seem nonexistent and powerless due to being drowned out by the voices of tolerance and reason. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that there would be an "atheist/secular Great Awakening," where secularists and humanists finally realize their influence, organize, and can take on the social conservatives head-to-head on the political stage. This of course would be a continuation of the strides that secularists have made in improving their public image throughout the '00s and '10s. Re-interest in the works of Richard Dawkins and the late-Christopher Hitchens would rejuvenate the movement. I can't envision a scenario in which the United States becomes more religious, because Generation X and Generation Y are pushing the nation more secular, which is only going to continue and become more noticeable as Gen X and Y matures and reaches political power.

The '20s are sure to be one turbulent, revolutionary decade indeed; I'd say probably the most significant decade of the 21st Century. But, I digress.

exactly...I think Democrats may win only for another term, inevitably it will be the turn of the Republicans. I also believe that in 20s and 30s it will be a time of ethical discussion..there will be lots of problems..but to tell you the truth I cant wait the 20s arrive!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
I still think we should wait on saying what will define the 2010s. In the US, most people of the 60s as hippie years. In fact, hippies didn't even enter mass consciousness until '67-69. Grunge peaked in '93 and was dead by '96. The emo image didn't become codified until around 2006, but emo was huge in '02-03.

Right now, hipsters are the youth image, but they might prove to be the California doowop rock of the 2010s. Remember those bands and that image? They were big in '61-64.

It just takes one youth movement to completely chain a decade to something. I hope the 2010s are remembered as a transhumanist decade.

Actually, the 2010s already have a sound to me— that of heavy psyche riff rock.
  • Casey likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: music, decade, nostalgia, pop culture

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users