Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

When will we have settlements on mars?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

American futurist

American futurist

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
2050? 2150? What do you think?

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

don't try to hide. I was born at night but not last night.

American futurist

American futurist

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

don't try to hide. I was born at night but not last night.

What are you on about you lunatic!

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

I would say by 2040. Check out "A Case for Mars" by Robert Zubrin. We could do it today.

Edited by TransAustin, 15 August 2013 - 07:52 AM.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

2065 China for the settlement

For a man mission...Muilti-national-China, Russia, Eu, by 2040.

RayMC

RayMC

F̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ᴛ̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ʀ̷̲̅ᴇ̷̲̅

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

“Wʜᴀᴛ ɪs ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ, ᴡᴀs ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇᴅ.” - Wɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ Bʟᴀᴋᴇ

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

I think people are being WAY too optimistic about the whole Mars thing. We could technically do it today, but we won't, because whilst we could technically do it, it would be far too expensive, and to actually have a settlement, you would need thousands of people to move there.

There has been some headway with 3d printed buildings, but its still in its embryonic stage. If you're talking about a few domes (or equivalent) then I reckon 2100-2150

However if you're talking about true colonization, that requires the terraforming of the planet, which will be in around 2500, according to the timeline.

I would say by 2040. Check out "A Case for Mars" by Robert Zubrin. We could do it today.

We most certainly could not do it today. Sure we could get a few (not a lot) people to Mars, but what would they do when they got there? Where would they get energy from? Food? Water? How would they get the air they need to breathe? How would they be self-sufficient? Cause with our current rocket technology, it takes a helluva long time to get to Mars.

We're not going to have a settlement on Mars for a long time.

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts
  • LocationGloucester, England 28 June, 2020 C.E.
Around 2060Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Probably the first manned mission will happen by 2030, and the first settlement will happen by 2050. Hopefully we'll have a self-sustaining colony by the end of the century, so that if mankind screws up on Earth the Martians can pick up the slack.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Probably the first manned mission will happen by 2030, and the first settlement will happen by 2050. Hopefully we'll have a self-sustaining colony by the end of the century, so that if mankind screws up on Earth the Martians can pick up the slack.

Pretty cool that soon we will be calling each other Martians and Earthians, just as casually we call each other Americans and Brits, eh? :)

What are you without the sum of your parts?

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

Earthlings, eh? :p

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Earthlings, eh? :p

That's just downright demeaning, lol! Anything that ends with -lings just gives me an image of feeble weakness and something begging to be invaded and molested.

How about something more respectable... like Terrans? :)

Martians and Terrans... like the sound of that.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

TERRANS. The first notes of the Terran Starcraft soundtrack played in my head.

It's better than Earthlings, but we could do without the factionalism anyway. "Humans" does fine for me.

I have a feeling "Earthlings" will be a derivative term used by Martians to refer to Terrans they don't like. At the same time a lot of Terrans will stereotype Mars as New Canada or Earth Jr., seeing as they won't be a colony anymore by then.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
I have a feeling "Earthlings" will be a derivative term used by Martians to refer to Terrans they don't like. At the same time a lot of Terrans will stereotype Mars as New Canada or Earth Jr., seeing as they won't be a colony anymore by then.

Planetism as opposed to nationalism, eh? :)

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

NASA and obama have publicly targeted 2030 as the first manned mission to Mars. If we think of  settlements rather than broad colonization,  the rapid growth of technology we are experiencing could put us up there by...um...(guessing)...2050.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
We most certainly could not do it today. Sure we could get a few (not a lot) people to Mars, but what would they do when they got there? Where would they get energy from? Food? Water? How would they get the air they need to breathe? How would they be self-sufficient? Cause with our current rocket technology, it takes a helluva long time to get to Mars.   We're not going to have a settlement on Mars for a long time.

You're right in that we couldn't do it today. But I think that in a decade or two the technology could be there. The answers to your questions depend on what mission architecture you want.

If nantenna based solar (2 to 3 times more powerful than silicon PV) becomes possible in the 10-20 year timeframe, then that could be a very good source of energy. If fusion comes as soon as NBF or Lockheed Martin predict, that could work as well.

Food is a more difficult prospect. A greenhouse + aquaculture could produce the needed food, but more research needs to be done.

Water is actually simpler than food. Give wastewater to a greenhouse and the plants use the nutrients to grow. Take the transpiration products from the plants and drink that. If that doesn't work, grow some succulents and take the water from them.

Air will likely take two components. A greenhouse (for CO2 scrubbing) and Elektrons (for oxygen generation). Other options (assuming that there's enough energy) would be a Bosch or Sabatier reactor.

Travel time is probably the worst part. If you go with the Mars Direct route, then you're stuck in a sardine can for six to seven months with three other people. Making the habitat bigger could work, but you'd need to assemble the ship in orbit. Again, if fusion becomes practical in the near future we could use VASIMR propulsion to get us there in less than two months for the closest approach. But at other times travel would take longer, especially at opposition. So for near term settlement it would probably be best to go only when Mars and Earth are nearing closest approach.

What difference does it make?

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam

Water ice is really the most important thing based on what I've read, and Mars (especially at the polar regions) has plenty of it. If you locate the colony so that it has access to a substantial supply of the stuff, you would be set as far as water and oxygen goes. Large-scale greenhouses would also be useful to achieve this, and you would have no shortage of carbon dioxide. Air miners could pull useful gasses out of the atmosphere (though I admit that this form of geoengineering is still sometime off). A lot of the materials you would need, including components for solar panels, could be manufactured locally. With 3D printing it becomes even easier.

Solar power may seem more difficult since Mars is farther away from the sun than earth. However, the comparatively thin atmosphere on Mars makes the difference between between it and Earth smaller than you would think. I remember reading somewhere that the amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of Mars is roughly equivalent to the amount reaching Earth on a partly cloudy day.

I think a Martian colony is perfectly feasible if our current technology and research is properly applied. Taking into account the financial costs and political issues, I would say a manned Martian base will be built by 2050, with large-scale civilian settlement beginning around the end of the century. I'm extremely confident in the technology, I'm just not so confident in how high a priority it will be considering all the other problems we'll face this century.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Air miners could pull useful gasses out of the atmosphere (though I admit that this form of geoengineering is still sometime off).

Not necessarily. We already have filters that can sieve out different gasses. Just place one in between an intake turbine and a sub-micron dust filter.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam

Would these filters be practical for large-scale production though? Especially on Mars, these machines would have to be highly efficient and fairly powerful. I don't know a whole lot about this technology though...

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Would these filters be practical for large-scale production though? Especially on Mars, these machines would have to be highly efficient and fairly powerful. I don't know a whole lot about this technology though...

I'm not sure. But another technique could be to take in all atmospheric gases, compress them to liquid state, then boil them. Since some gases are lighter than others, they'll float. I believe this method is used in the petrochemical industry as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users