Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

When will we have settlements on mars?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

I think the main issue we have to deal with is that Mars has a weak electromagnetic field because the core is stagnant, which is a problem.

Can't have a colony if everyone is getting cancer all the time from solar radiation, now can we?

How would we fix that?

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I think the main issue we have to deal with is that Mars has a weak electromagnetic field because the core is stagnant, which is a problem.

Can't have a colony if everyone is getting cancer all the time from solar radiation, now can we?

How would we fix that?

I believe Robert Zubrin did some research and said that the surface of Mars is pretty well shielded. We might be able to install additional shielding in habitats (some plastics are actually good at blocking radiation).

What difference does it make?

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Would these filters be practical for large-scale production though? Especially on Mars, these machines would have to be highly efficient and fairly powerful. I don't know a whole lot about this technology though...

Machines that use moderate power could use radioisotope thermoelectric generators which can be pretty expensive but still feasible (i.e. Curiosity uses one) But for larger machines such as ones that heat water in Martian soil in very large quantities (average martian soil is 4% water by weight) and collect the water vapor would be better fitted with multiple RTGs or even a mini reactor, though this would not be feasible for at least a couple of decades.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

live in a d0me. We can do the 3D printer thing like we plan on doing with mars. It'd have to be big though.. Nobody wants to live in a space as confined as the international space station for an extremely long period of time.

But since people are there and they have a 3D printer they can regularly make their settlement larger and larger. Using solar power and other renewable energies in order to provide electricity to do things like grow crops and invitro meat! Also, the base would likely need to be near the poles where the ice is; if it is drinkable.

Perhaps the colony could be made inside a volcano, as they haven't erupted for millions of years. That'd make it simpler in that you could just cover the mouth of a volcano and you'd be provided with a large and safe environment.

Edited by Squillimy, 15 August 2013 - 06:54 PM.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam

I know that there have been skylights found on the surface of Mars that lead into underground lava tubes. If these are anything like Earth, there would be a lot of room in one for a decent-sized colony. You could easily seal off the entrance with local materials once you're inside.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I believe Robert Zubrin did some research and said that the surface of Mars is pretty well shielded. We might be able to install additional shielding in habitats (some plastics are actually good at blocking radiation).
Derp, forgot about this as well.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts
NASA and obama have publicly targeted 2030 as the first manned mission to Mars. If we think of  settlements rather than broad colonization,  the rapid growth of technology we are experiencing could put us up there by...um...(guessing)...2050.

With the way we're going today...I wouldn't count on America ever landing on mars. I'm not kidding.

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
NASA and obama have publicly targeted 2030 as the first manned mission to Mars. If we think of  settlements rather than broad colonization,  the rapid growth of technology we are experiencing could put us up there by...um...(guessing)...2050.

With the way we're going today...I wouldn't count on America ever landing on mars. I'm not kidding.

I'm also going to assume that once Obama leaves office, the next administration will cancel the manned asteroid mission. Actually I'm very confident in this statement. I would say a good 80% chance.

Kabe Ayofe

Kabe Ayofe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon

I think shortly after Orion is launched and makes it to Mars, serious plans to send a small colony commence. I reckon by 2040 humans will be voyaging to Mars for short/long term settlement.

Lets just hope future presidents don't impede NASA in anyway.

Edited by Kabe Ayofe, 16 August 2013 - 08:49 AM.

Monoceros

Monoceros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAntwerp, Belgium
Do you think the Mars One project is likely to be successfull ?

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Hell no.

Kabe Ayofe

Kabe Ayofe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon

I'm leaning towards no. Surely they would have a lot more momentum and publicity if they really intended to get to Mars by 2023.

You never know though!

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

The best scenario for Mars One would be a delay by a few years.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Good news for those banking on Elon Musk getting to mars.

http://www.nasa.gov/...ml#.Ug54l233Pa-

NASA Commercial Crew Program (CCP) partner Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) recently reviewed the systems critical to sustaining crews in orbit and returning them safely to Earth aboard the company's Dragon spacecraft.

conferencemuthu

conferencemuthu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationIndia

We can not able to move to MARS ( like you seen in Total Recall 1990).. But, Human can build a space station and implement missile testing, advance weapon bombing. it might be around 2100.... But humans can possibly to settlements on other planets in another galaxy. It surely takes at least 5000 years from now (because the current technology space transportation is very slow).. Who knows? Andromeda Galaxy may have Earth like feature with water,air,nutrition facilities...But human would think about searching for place seriously... when the totally pollutes the our mother Earth, But, we are evolving from generation to generation... Our atom would start to accept the changes and we would modify into new form and i guess, we would still remain in the earth...

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Actually conferencemuthu, research has been done as to how to live on Mars; even make it more clement.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Water? How would they get the air they need to breathe? How would they be self-sufficient?

There's plenty of water ice on Mars.

https://en.wikipedia...i/Water_on_Mars

More than five million square kilometers of ice has been identified on the surface of modern Mars, which is enough to cover the whole planet to a depth of 35 meters.

As for breathable air, take the CO2 in the ambient Martian atmosphere, put it through a bosch or sabatier reactor (both produce water), take the water that was produced and split it into hydrogen and oxygen. Voila! Breathable air!

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Let's design a quantum assembler... to produce anything to our hearts' content.

Want oxygen? No problem! *assembling the necessary quarks from the quantum foam" Ta da!

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Let's design a quantum assembler... to produce anything to our hearts' content.

Want oxygen? No problem! *assembling the necessary quarks from the quantum foam" Ta da!

I think you're joking. But if you're not joking, there's the simple fact that building a device like that would take technology far in advance of our own. Meanwhile, extinction level events won't wait. Colonizing space should be done as soon as possible.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
I think you're joking. But if you're not joking, there's the simple fact that building a device like that would take technology far in advance of our own.

Indeed!

Meanwhile, extinction level events won't wait. Colonizing space should be done as soon as possible.

Agree!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users