Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

When will we have settlements on mars?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

10gamerguy

10gamerguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA, North America, Earth
Earthlings, eh? :p

That's just downright demeaning, lol! Anything that ends with -lings just gives me an image of feeble weakness and something begging to be invaded and molested.

How about something more respectable... like Terrans? :)

Martians and Terrans... like the sound of that.

Earthicans?

I want mah virtual reality!

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Earthicans?
Maybe Tellurians?

What difference does it make?

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

We'll only be called Earthicans if America is the Winner that Writes History again, but I highly doubt that will be the case.

Posted Image

Pictured: Ol' Freebie.

Edited by EVanimations, 16 August 2013 - 09:51 PM.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

I'd watch China, Russia or EU to do it.

;)

America right now is very divided and likely to fall soon.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I think manned missions will be sometime around the 2030s, with mass colonization happening maybe a decade later.

conferencemuthu

conferencemuthu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationIndia
Water? How would they get the air they need to breathe? How would they be self-sufficient?

There's plenty of water ice on Mars.

https://en.wikipedia...i/Water_on_Mars

More than five million square kilometers of ice has been identified on the surface of modern Mars, which is enough to cover the whole planet to a depth of 35 meters.

As for breathable air, take the CO2 in the ambient Martian atmosphere, put it through a bosch or sabatier reactor (both produce water), take the water that was produced and split it into hydrogen and oxygen. Voila! Breathable air!

easy to say in words, whereas, difficult or impossible to get it into process at large scale

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
easy to say in words, whereas, difficult or impossible to get it into process at large scale

The bosch/sabatier reactor? It's actually well tested. And the atmosphere is over 90% CO2 if I'm not mistaken. All you need to bring with is hydrogen. As for water ice, there's plenty of it near the surface in some areas. I don't see what is impossible to do here.

I think this is interesting by the way.

http://nextbigfuture...of-getting.html

He actually planned to send 80,000 people to Mars every year once the colonization begins. He says he knows it sounds crazy to some and he also says that he does not expect Spacex to do it alone.

Cody930

Cody930

An Apple Pie from Scratch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, US
The bosch/sabatier reactor? It's actually well tested. And the atmosphere is over 90% CO2 if I'm not mistaken. All you need to bring with is hydrogen. As for water ice, there's plenty of it near the surface in some areas. I don't see what is impossible to do here.

Mars has a little over 95% CO2 in it's atmosphere so yes, plenty to go around. :p We could also get additional hydrogen from extracted water ice. Wiki mentions another option with the Sabatier process, producing excess methane can be used to extract more carbon and hydrogen which then can be recycled back into the reactor. 

"Since we first emerged, a few million years ago in East Africa, we have meandered our way around the planet. There are now people on every continent and the remotest islands, from pole to pole, from Mount Everest to the Dead Sea, on the ocean bottoms and even, occasionally, in residence 200 miles up - humans, like the gods of old, living in the sky."

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Wiki mentions another option with the Sabatier process, producing excess methane can be used to extract more carbon and hydrogen which then can be recycled back into the reactor. 

I think the problem with that is that it takes a lot of energy to break carbon hydrogen bonds. Though if fusion happens as soon as Next Big Future says it will, it might not be a problem.

And I found this after a search. So it could be feasible in the relatively near future.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Found these as well. So reducing methane to 2H2 and C is a known process.

I think I'll look into classes that could help with the colonization of Mars.

Edited by Ru1138, 18 August 2013 - 07:37 PM.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

An interesting looking prospect for me is biology and systems engineering. Better start studying. :cool:

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Doing that large scale is beyond daunting with current levels of technology. If we could we would use it on Earth, to reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere,

I just don't think its feasible, anytime soon.

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
If we could we would use it on Earth, to reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere,

Uh, we're talking about far smaller scales than that. Saying that is basically comparing apples to oranges.

As for not being feasible anytime soon, the problems have been identified and are being worked on.

http://www.wired.com...etting-to-mars/

Edited by Ru1138, 19 August 2013 - 03:03 AM.

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

look Ru, I like you but I think you're totally deluded. We're not going to Mars anytime soon

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
look Ru, I like you but I think you're totally deluded. We're not going to Mars anytime soon

I prefer to think of myself as an optimist.

Once I get enough money I might start looking into research on Martian ISRU technologies. After all, you can't haul all of the supplies for building a colony from Earth.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Check out this piece of news.

http://en.ria.ru/sci...ns-to-Mars.html

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
I think manned missions will be sometime around the 2030s, with mass colonization happening maybe a decade later.

Back in 2011 there was a video interview that Elon Musk did that pegged a manned Mars mission 10 to 20 years out. The interview (video autoplay warning) can be found http://live.wsj.com/...0DEFAD15BA]here[/url].

I'll admit it's not wise to bet the farm on things happening like that. But assuming he's successful I think my estimation might be close.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
A question that I have been thinking about for a while is: What will settlements on Mars be like? Will they be solely for research and scientific purposes, or will they be like actual towns and cities, where people live "normal" lives, get married, bring up children, work and play?

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Will they be solely for research and scientific purposes, or will they be like actual towns and cities, where people live "normal" lives, get married, bring up children, work and play?

Initially they'll probably be for research purposes. Towns would come later.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

There's a space colonization subreddit if anyone is interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users