Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will firemen disappear in the next century?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I believe that during this century anti-fire technology will improve so much ( in both private houses and public buildings) that firemen will become almost a thing of the past.

I believe that in the next century there will not be the need of firemen at all. even when huge forests are burning. we will have self driving airplanes that are able to shut the fire real quick with huge shots of water..or simply we will have a special powder that will shut fire very rapidly.

what do you think?

Posted Image

RayMC

RayMC

F̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ᴛ̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ʀ̷̲̅ᴇ̷̲̅

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Just like most of the jobs we have now, firemen will disappear too.

“Wʜᴀᴛ ɪs ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ, ᴡᴀs ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇᴅ.” - Wɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ Bʟᴀᴋᴇ

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

They almost certainly will go, definitely by 2100 onwards. Same with 99% of jobs right now.

I always feel a twinge of pity for everyone studying to be a dentist, because I know that in the near future (certainly by 2030-40) they will be out of a job, and their entire specialty was in one area.

Same with many other professions, e.g. fiireman, accountants, taxi/truck/train drivers, air force pilots...

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin
I always feel a twinge of pity for everyone studying to be a dentist, because I know that in the near future (certainly by 2030-40) they will be out of a job, and their entire specialty was in one area.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I was curious as to why you think that they will bcome completely obsolete in a couple of decades? Will we be able to just regrow teeth or won't we need teeth at all? What exactly do you mean?

My family is always very sceptical when I tell them that I have to choose my field with a bit of precaution because some of these areas won't exist in the future. They smile like I'm crazy, but I guess I'm just careful. In the end, almost every job nowadays will be redundant, but I put my hopes into a scientific career - at least that way, when there's no necessity to work anymore, I'll still be able to do what I love to do :)

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

I fear for my profession too. I think I will start teaching from home

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
I very much doubt this. I don't think we'll have the technology to completely extinguish fires without the aid of humans that soon. I think we'll probably even still have firefighters into the 23rd century as well.

Hypercrisis

Hypercrisis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Do you really think the world would entrust its safety to machines? We've a long way to go until that happens.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
^Agreed. If we did this, then buildings burning to the ground would be pretty much an everyday occurance in most countries. It would be catastrophic to get rid of firefighters.

Edited by FutureOfToday, 17 August 2013 - 03:37 PM.

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
Do you really think the world would entrust its safety to machines? We've a long way to go until that happens.

If it's demonstrated that they're more capable than a person at performing the task, it seems pretty logical that they would.

Do you trust an engineer doing math in his head over a calculator?

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

Soon some machines are going to be more reliable than humans.

Do you prefer a surgical robot that cuts precisely cells by cells or the shaky hands of a surgeon? I prefer the first option. 

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I was curious as to why you think that they will bcome completely obsolete in a couple of decades? Will we be able to just regrow teeth or won't we need teeth at all? What exactly do you mean?

My family is always very sceptical when I tell them that I have to choose my field with a bit of precaution because some of these areas won't exist in the future. They smile like I'm crazy, but I guess I'm just careful. In the end, almost every job nowadays will be redundant, but I put my hopes into a scientific career - at least that way, when there's no necessity to work anymore, I'll still be able to do what I love to do :)

http://nextbigfuture...eration-in.html

This link is from the timeline. Go to biology and then tooth regeneration. Or you could, if you have the time find it normally. Hope this helps ;)

The art of forgetting is inherent in human minds; the art of being forgotten  is the normal fate of knowing. We as futurists don't accept that. In the panels of the Universe, we alone will remain standing; remain unforgotten.

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Thank you! I haven't heard any news about this for quite a long time now, though. I fear it's still going to take some time until we see something like this becoming reality - as you said, there are millions of dentists and a whole industry that won't be very pleased to lose their jobs...

@Topic: If machines are more precise and reliable than human beings, do you think fear will hold us back (for long)?

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

Soon some machines are going to be more reliable than humans.Do you prefer a surgical robot that cuts precisely cells by cells or the shaky hands of a surgeon? I prefer the first option. 

Which one is more likely to get a glitch and screw my body up permanently? Yeah, I think I'll stick with the conscious surgeon who has had years of training than some machine that doesn't "know" what it's doing and could potentially go wrong.

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

It's a fairly dangerous job, and I think robots will do it 100 years from now. It's logical, I mean, they could be built of fire-proof, heat resistant materials so there's no risk of them being destroyed in a fire, they would always do the right thing due to a more rational AI and they could go through places where a normal human, with normal lungs, would be poisoned/intoxicated. This is what they're creating ATLAS for, remember? And due to nanotech I think the risk of fire will be dramatically decreased, maybe with special coatings like the nanotech hydrophobic coatings you can see nowdays. We're talking about the next century here, that's a LOT of time.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying this. "Fireproof" robots by 2100? I very much doubt that. What if these robots get trapped by rubble? If there are no humans around, building burns to the ground. The catastrophic possibilties of these things are too great to justify. Jobs like firefighting and surgery are responsible for saving human lives. I wouldn't put my life into the hands of a machine.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

I don't think so. Just because we have tooth regeneration doesn't at all mean we'd get rid of dentists. Just cause you can regenerate teeth doesn't mean you don't need a dentist to do the process for you. Adding to that, a dentist doesn't only just replace teeth.

There's still pharmacists when we can get a machine to make pills. There's still assembly line workers when cars make themselves. Even with automated robotic surgery we will still have surgeons. And even with AI personal doctors to guide you to good health, we will still have doctors.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Colonel O'Neil

Colonel O'Neil

From Time Immemorial...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

It doesn't seem very likely that many people would have to go to the dentist at all. A dentist doesn't just replace teeth, he also looks after them. However, if the teeth self regenerate, it kinds puts him out the loop, no?

About the pharmacists, that's a ridiculous point. They're needed to give advice and such and in no way is any of their medicine going to replace doctors. Nanotechnology threatens all of that.

Come on! Would you trust a human doctor over an AI robot? If you do, that's completely irrational.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
It doesn't seem very likely that many people would have to go to the dentist at all. A dentist doesn't just replace teeth, he also looks after them. However, if the teeth self regenerate, it kinds puts him out the loop, no?

About the pharmacists, that's a ridiculous point. They're needed to give advice and such and in no way is any of their medicine going to replace doctors. Nanotechnology threatens all of that.

Come on! Would you trust a human doctor over an AI robot? If you do, that's completely irrational.

Then why can't dentists, doctors, and surgeons be there for the same exact reason you explained why pharmacists are still / will still be here?

As for trusting a human doctor over a robot; Ofcourse not! but regardless of their need there will still be surgeons (as an example, regarding the near future). Someone has to figure out what type of surgery is needed to be performed. Or where it is needed to be performed at / what the robot is looking for. Although the robot will probably be able to figure some of this out itself. I doubt that surgery will be 100% fully automated till the end of the century at earliest. 

By 100% automated I mean from the moment you discover you need surgery, to the moment you make your appointment for surgery, until the moment you walk out of the surgery room and sign your bill, you do not encounter or talk to 1 human being. I Think the same thing can be said for dentists

Edited by Squillimy, 19 August 2013 - 07:12 PM.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

We will develop new ways to extinguish fires.

For example, we're currently experimenting using electric fields to extinguish fires. Now, it is a matter of scalability if we want to extinguish large forest fires at will.

http://news.national...rvard-chemical/

When this technology gets to the sufficient scale needed to extinguish large fires, robots/drones will do the job way better humans ever will.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

Soon some machines are going to be more reliable than humans. Do you prefer a surgical robot that cuts precisely cells by cells or the shaky hands of a surgeon? I prefer the first option. 

Which one is more likely to get a glitch and screw my body up permanently? Yeah, I think I'll stick with the conscious surgeon who has had years of training than some machine that doesn't "know" what it's doing and could potentially go wrong.

I think a doctor may still be present and honestly there will be a time where robots can offer medical care than doctors...

honestly doctors screw up with my body quiet a bit...so they won't be a big loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users