Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Medical Computing Everywhere?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Jamesp071

Jamesp071

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationChina

Hi, I wanna share some medical-tech related article here. If you’re interested in this topic, check here.

According to an article from Intel,2012 , there are more and more hospital embracing medical computing system. The reason is that this system can provide accurate data and remote control for hospital staff which allows them take care of patients much properly and accurately.

Here goes a part of the article:

Healthcare providers are relying more and more on computers to access medical data such as electronic patient records. A good example of this is where healthcare practitioners are utilizing mobile pointof-care (MPoC) solutions to improve nurse/doctor workflows throughout the hospital. By permitting nurses and doctors to access clinical information systems at the patient bedside in real-time, MPoC solutions can facilitate better nurse/doctor workflows. This in turn has positive impact on patient care and potentially can reduce the length of hospital stays. Medical Clinical Assistants (MCA) and other tablet devices are also being added to the healthcare practitioner toolbox, leading to the widespread computerization of the hospital and helping to improve patient treatment. [source: http://goo.gl/DVup10

After one year, there’s a study about the same topic. It seem this system has proved itself. I think this’s not only a trend in medical industry, but also a good news for all of us!

Here is the study:

Overall, given the degree of adoption of these computerized systems in the U.S. in 2008, medication errors decreased by 12.5% overall. That meant that during a 1-year period there were an estimated 17.4 million fewer errors, the researchers reported online in the Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association.

"The Institute of Medicine estimates that at least a quarter of all medication-related injuries are preventable, and recommends electronic prescribing through a computerized provider order entry system as one way to reduce medication errors and patient harm," Radley and colleagues observed.

These systems typically provide support with alerts for drug dosages and interactions and guidance on clinical decision-making, but their actual impact on medication errors has not been fully determined.

Therefore, the researchers conducted a two-part analysis that included a systematic review of the literature to compare error rates with and without the computerized systems….

I think this computing system would be popular issue in the medical industry! How do you feel?

If you want to know more details, please find the link here

http://www.medpageto...lPractice/37496

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
Welcome to the forums! Yes the medical field is becoming more computerized. I'm majoring in biomedical engineering, but that's only one side of it. Yes records and documentation will be digitized, but the future of technology is to merge with biology, so the medical field will become a highly technical field with 3d printing, and nanotechnology and implants. Technology makes things much more efficient

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

They promised some medical implants by 2015 back in 2009.

I expected them to become more popular by now, like to hear more about it and see some very first implants but it dosen t seem the case.

my guess is that around 2040 these implants will start to be insert in to the body if not later.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
Well it's only 2013 and there is progress being made with wearable electronics. I think 2040 is way too late for the first implants. The first implants will be simple monitoring devices. By the 2030s and 2040s they will provide enhanced functions to the body. Already there are artificial eyes. I think that counts as an implant. Especially since it connects with the nervous system.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users