Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Unusual or Outlandish Technology

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,010 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Technology predictions tend to be rather tame, so what are some of the most out-there outlandish things you can think of? They may not even be out-there- it might even be more dead-on than current predictions, but because it's not said predictions it's "unusual."

My contributions to Our Bizarre Future is as followed... (in discussion with friend Tzatziki Bongwater)

WARNING: COPY PASTED; TL;DR

Programmable Ghosts, Liquid Men, Super Light, Oh My!

Well right now, the technology in the stories is still growing so I doubt these will be the last things I make for them. But the theme of them all is "What Is The Coolest?" 

So the 4 biggest ones I can think of right now would have to Lazars, liquid metal machines, photosyntheic augs, and Light of Bæphomet.  

Lazars are named after Bob Lazar, that guy from Area 51 who exposed UFOs at the base (supposedly). Despite this, Lazars are not flying saucers but actually a gas-like form of claytronics. 

How to describe them: Think of a ghost. Not a cheesy "white sheet over your head" ghost you see in cartoons and old movies; I mean like a proto-typical state of matter that's entirely amorphous and seems separated from reality. Or think of a gas, like the vapors from dry ice. That's how I'd describe a Lazar.  They can take any shape, and they move at any reasonable speed, but as for their structure... I'd describe that as nanites glowing with plasma at this state, though it's still beyond me.  They can hold sickly high amounts of information (I'm not even going to try to put of byte number on it; any number would probably be too low) and can be used for mind uploading.

In fact I'm working with something like this in Another Perfect Day where people can upload their minds onto a Lazar and become physical ghosts. A popular imagination I've worked with is the idea that they use these avatars to become angelic beings (Lazars can take any shape, humanoid or otherwise), or become balls of light. Wanna go into space? As in bare outer space? Use a lazar.  Can you get too spread out? Yes. Yes you can, but you can reform or pull out of a Lazar at any time if you don't like how crazy things are getting.

In my thoughtwork, one of things I've dwelled on that seems truly out-of-this-world is the existence of a type of ælcorus where a group of people as lazars would come together in some form of cloud (literally a cloud) in a communal harmony (though their bodies wouldn't be entangled with each other; what a mess that would be!), as such could be the closest thing to a higher state of consciousness.

That, or they'd just use lazars in haunted houses. Programmable ghosts, amirite?

Is this beyond us? Well since we don't have floating nanobots that can create plasma, let alone mind uploading, it's beyond us at this current point. Just to get 'beyond us' typed one last time, as I said before, it's beyond my own thoughts- I can't fully figure out how it would work myself. If you're excited about this- don't be. Do you really want to be so paranoid as to wonder if the air you're breathing right now might actually be a living person? 

The next thing is just as insane. Liquid metal droids. Like Terminator? Like Terminator! You see, Terminator had it right. If you want to create a truly productive worker machine, you're not going to make it like classical robots you see in all these science fiction movies. It really would be closer to Transformers- a robot that can change its shape would be tantamount to a revolution in robotics. And we do have claytronics in its infant stages right now, so I wouldn't say it's impossible. In fact if you ask me, it's probably more likely than using the usual "static parts" type robots we usually think of. 

I don't want to brag, but I just think it is and I back it with that argument that a shape shifting robot is more useful than one that stays the same. A robot that can assume any shape is more useful than a generic shape shifting bot. 

And this has the ability to exponentially enhance transhumanism. Liquid men, anyone?

As I've said, droids play a huuuuge role in Mother Meki and this is what the vast majority of droids are like.  Just sayin', if I were a strongman capitalist, I'd take liquid metal droids over all others. 

The downsides? They're amorphous. Think about it. What kind of damage would intelligent water do you if it wanted to kill you? Hell, look back at Lazars. What  kind of damage would malevolent intelligent gas do to you?

Photosynthetic augs are another option I've noted, and this also comes into play with Mother Meki more than any other work I'm doing right now. This  is fusing nano-fuel cells with the technology of solar panels, which could allow for extreme amounts of energy to be derived. Though there are a ridiculous amount of applications (such as near-perpetual worker droids, energy crisis, etc.), this particular variety allows you to take pure radiation and thermal energy and turn it into material and energy for your body, effectively eliminating the need for oral-based consumption. It's still eating. Just eating light. 

"How mad! Do you actually mean you want to stop people from eating?" One, what did I just say; two, I'm not saying everyone will or should take this up. But the reason we eat is to stay alive, to give our body energy. It feels good to eat because our mind won't have us not eat, or else it will die. If you found another way to stay alive that involved more efficient methods, what's stopping you from not doing it? And besides- who doesn't want to fart pure oxygen? On that topic, why not take excrement from your body and just turn it into something your body can use? Thus eliminating such a need. 

This could also end sleeping for all we know. 

Next up, we have Super-light, which I've dubbed the Light of Bæphomet. This is just a type of light that can become visible through solid walls and can pass such information through said walls- already can be done with wireless tech, but not with visible light. How this is done, don't ask me go away shut up :). Seriously though, I don't know how this could work or whether physics would even allow for light to be seen through solid objects.

Unless you use a NLAM to alter your perception of reality! Just rearrange your neurons so that you see something that isn't there. 

By the way, on the topic of the Pronaso Party, I've come up with a new idea: anyone from the party and the upper classes are capable of cybertelepathy. All of the working class and poor  have to rely on verbal speech. Thank the Emotiv Insight for this idea, and I think it's an okay idea: communication methods itself is a marker of class differences.  

So that's the rundown for right now. A bit outlandish I know, but nothing too crazy, right? 

R-right?

Another

No, pixies and fairies aren't actually in MM. Pixies are a type of supercraft that look like a string of lights. It's kind of hard to explain, but imagine a crescent or even just a straight string of lights in front of you. They're not connected, and they flash at different times. Perhaps in a pattern or at random. They move this way. I'm trying to find a use for them at this point.

Fairies are different. These are nanobots that act kind of like fireflies. They look like sparks or quickly flashing points of light in the air. These are more like cameras, though I've been wondering if I could use them as a form of very-diffused Lazar. 

One more

Deus Ex gave me a fantastic idea: how to separate consciousness across multiple entities. Perhaps I could be conscious in one place and another at the same time? Kind of like Bot Domination, but with more consciousness to go around. I was kind of leaning in this direction with loopkill already.

On that topic, when it comes to metahumanism,  superconsciousness could be possible to create a transhuman-like being without actually being transhuman. Unless giving more conscious control of your body is transhuman. I figured that this would be how Ælcorus could work in some regards. It's giving you the ability to control emotions and reason and feelings at a much better efficiency so I don't see how it could "take away free will" like that other guy said. If anything, it would grant you even more free will, free from the binds of natural/nurtured development. I never saw how free will is as free as they say if the human mind is as shaped by its environment and its own genetics; metahumanism would give you the chance to push past that, so that sound like true free will to me.

I guess some people think that our current state is as advanced, as free as it could ever possibly be. An ape  would think that it's the greatest it can possibly be, as much as a dog would think its breed is the best it could be. I don't see why us humans wouldn't see it the same way. But we can't really imagine metahumanism because we only have this one consciousness that we're slaves to for life so I can see why we'd think that. 

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

What the hell? This stuff is pretty insane, although the last one involving Deus Ex seems pretty cool.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

Teleporting humans within the next thousand years knowing the amount of computing power that's needed.

Going to warp on a vehicle big enough to carry a crew of humans. The power is like nothing we know of.

Instant Shields like on star trek. Sure we maybe able to create a force field to block radian...That's just not anywhere near the same thing.

Three star trek tech that we don't have and probably won't have for a very long time.

Another is anti-gravity on back to the future flying cars. :(

These all are more then a few hundred years away. Not likely the fiction is going to come true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users