Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What will be made obsolete by virtual reality?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Think about it. Virtual reality could make a hell of a lot of things obsolete. Amusement parks, arcades, movie theatres, leisure centres, even playing sports and going on holiday. What else do you think it could potentially make obsolete?

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Tourism for some people, face-to-face meetings, by-and-large prostitution and hook-ups with real people, computer gaming using monitors, physical classrooms for learning...

Ultimately, rendered obsolete is using your biological body you were born with as a vessel for your consciousness.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,010 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Everything. Ev-er-y-thing.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

10gamerguy

10gamerguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA, North America, Earth

I agree with Maximus, if you could somehow hook up a food/water tube to yourself (which I figure would be a lot easier than it is now by the the time full immersion VR comes around) you could just stay in virtual reality FOREVER. Some jobs (and school, of course) could even be done in VR.

I want mah virtual reality!

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Life. 

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Obsolete is subjective when it comes to some things.

Amusement parks maybe, but tourism?  I know I would love to actually visit them instead of virtual reality so that will never be "obsolete" for me.  Maybe though, there would be a nice place that exists only in VR or I can't afford a trip.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

zen_mutiny

zen_mutiny

Post-Singularitarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationIndiana, United States

All other forms of entertainment.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,010 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
I agree with Maximus, if you could somehow hook up a food/water tube to yourself (which I figure would be a lot easier than it is now by the the time full immersion VR comes around) you could just stay in virtual reality FOREVER. Some jobs (and school, of course) could even be done in VR.

Look in the "Outlandish Technologies" thread as to why even that wouldn't be a problem.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

dreamer246

dreamer246

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationU.S.A
All other forms of entertainment.

What he said.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Yes, I also agree that tourism is unlikely to become obsolete. You can get whatever you want in VR, but ultimately, it's not "real". There is some incredible real stuff in the world that isn't worth missing, and the fact that it is real adds to it. Anybody interested in history would probably agree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users