Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Predictions for when we will be able to have a new body (remote-controlled/VR bodies don't count)

Artificial substrate Artificial body New body Consciousness transfer Mind uploading

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: New bodies (21 member(s) have cast votes)

When do you think that it will be possible to get a new body?

1. Before 2100 (12 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. 2100-2120 (2 votes [9.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

3. 2121-2140 (2 votes [9.52%] - View)

4. 2141-2160 (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

5. 2161-2180 (2 votes [9.52%] - View)

6. 2181-2200 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. After 2200 (2 votes [9.52%] - View)

Would you get a new body (and (keep?) the old one)?

1. Yes (and scrap the old one) (8 votes [38.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

2. Yes (and keep the old one) (8 votes [38.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

3. Perhaps (5 votes [23.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

4. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

When does you think that we will be able to get our consciousness transferred to a new body (could be biological or artificial)? Would you get one (you can keep your old body for re-use, if you feel like it)? If so, what would it look like?

Smeargle

Smeargle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationLuckiest city in the UK

I doubt we'd have such things for a few centuries, if ever, honestly. The cultural and social response to new bodies would likely hinder their research and production.

Whether or not I would use one, though, there's always the possibility.

ARADIA: i think i mostly want to see what happens when this whole place breaks apart

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

I'd say mid 22nd century. And yes, I'd get a new body, but I'd keep the old one safe somewhere.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
I'd say mid 22nd century. And yes, I'd get a new body, but I'd keep the old one safe somewhere.

That'll take the "skeletons in a closet" to a new level! :D

What are you without the sum of your parts?

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
I voted 2161-2180 and yes, I would get a new one and scrap the old one.

dreamer246

dreamer246

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

I think that prototype remote-controlled bodies will be invented around 2050 and will be perfected anywhere between 2100 or 2150.

And I would probably get rid of my old body and get dozens of artificial ones.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I'd love to get a new body, but I also love my current one.

I'll probably just upgrade my current one, which probably means cosmetic surgery later on.  But actually, no.  I won't do that.

I'm keeping this body, and then getting some other transformer nano-bot, robo body that can be anything I want it to on a spot.  That will probably be after 2100, but I plan on sticking around that long.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

I imagine the technology will come about to transfer a portion of your consciousness onto an external operating platform and it will become possible within the next hundred years. Essentially it would be the same as full immersion VR. Removing the brain and keeping it functioning or mind uploading so that you can permanently transfer your consciousness (or be able to do so in a state where you're no longer concerned about returning to your meat body to take a pee break) probably wouldn't come until some time after though. Trying to make an accurate guess is pretty senseless, I think.

It's fun to imagine having your brain removed and being alive inside your mind with no senses to process what's happening, eh?

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Probably, I reckon, some time in the 22nd/23rd century. There will be a lack of research (a least, large amounts of it) for a while, as most people at the moment don't consider it worthwhile.

As for getting an artificial body? Yes, I would. I'd have my current one preserved and have as many parts as feasible replaced with artificial equivalents that perform at least as well and last longer.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

aside from augmenting cognitive function, memory and possible brain-computer interface, the only thing that i wouldnt scrap to my new body is my brain. we are our brain.

is there an option to enhance the body you already have in a way that it is still organic, but more fit to present human enviroment? (what i mean is, the human body is designed for natural environment, it did't see metals, steel, large bldgs, high-speed collission,  nuclear radiation, carcinogens, petrochemicals, hollywood standard of beauty, abundance of sugar/fat coming its way)

Edited by Zeitgeist123, 24 August 2013 - 03:42 AM.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Tommy_Vercettix

Tommy_Vercettix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Maybe we could have an enhanced body which never get old or sick, with excellent health and overall physiognomy, by 2100.

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

Mind uploading will likely happen pre 2100, so you'll be able to get a new body before then. I doubt you'll be getting a Ghost in the Shell esque body till the 22nd century though. By the 22nd century (if I live that long) I doubt I'll be that attached to my body any more (it will be old, and my fondness for it will wane due to having a different one in VR). We'll see. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Artificial substrate, Artificial body, New body, Consciousness transfer, Mind uploading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users