Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Femto-Tech

femto nano tech

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

So at this point it's become pretty much established that nano-tech will have practically unlimited applications when the field has become mastered. Engineering machines and materials on the molecular level will certainly create some interesting results.

So what would be the practical benefits of femto-technology, exactly? What would engineering machines and materials on the subatomic level do for us?

I guess after that we couldn't get much smaller, unless we can start building with quantum foam or strings or whatever quarks are made of.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

If we could create sub-atomic machines, wouldn't we able to change atoms themselves? (i.e. literally turn water into wine).

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

I guess so, but I think the main thing to consider here is that there will be protons, neutrons, electrons... and then whatever the hell we manage to create with this. I can't even imagine the kind of potential.

I guess we could build antimatter?

The heat death of the Universe won't affect us if we can make protons faster than they decay.

I think femto-tech is where things really start to stray into sufficiently-advanced "magic" territory.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
I think femto-tech is where things really start to stray into sufficiently-advanced "magic" territory.

Yeah, scary advanced enough to accidentally turn ourselves into a syrup in a matter of seconds. :)

What are you without the sum of your parts?

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

SENTIENT syrup!!

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
SENTIENT syrup!!

Yeah, delicious... perhaps I can acquire knowledge by its consumption.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

In all seriousness, femto-tech could really make anything possible. When we can create exotic matter, there's no telling the potential. I was thinking about this last night, getting really excited for the 2100's.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
In all seriousness, femto-tech could really make anything possible. When we can create exotic matter, there's no telling the potential. I was thinking about this last night, getting really excited for the 2100's.

Curious about one thing - why are you excited about the 2100's knowing there is a small chance you won't live to see the next century? As for myself, I'd be worried!

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

I don't even have to see the next century to be excited about it, if this is where humanity is ultimately headed I want my grandchildren and great-grandchildren to experience it. I just want to create the best future I can for my descendants.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois
If we could create sub-atomic machines, wouldn't we able to change atoms themselves? (i.e. literally turn water into wine).

We'd have to be careful that we don't trigger a thermonuclear explosion from doing such a thing. xD

That said, there are several theories about proton decay. The most thorny will probably be due to X-boson interactions. So I think we'd need something on a scale finer than femtotechnology to prevent something like that from happening.

Edited by Ru1138, 22 August 2013 - 07:14 PM.

What difference does it make?

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Maybe we could make negative matter therefore creating anti-gravity with fempto tech. But personally I agree fempto technology could make the Anti-matter factory a real possibility in order to supply for our energy consumption in the 22nd century, after we're done with fusion energy! I think that'll suit our energy needs for a while lol.

But all of those are complete guesses and since i really don't understand alot about physics I could be wrong.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Heck, why not imagine a string or LQG level technology? Just change the state of the string or loop and voila! Particulate alchemy!

What difference does it make?

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
Curious about one thing - why are you excited about the 2100's knowing there is a small chance you won't live to see the next century? As for myself, I'd be worried!

I think that you meant to say: "(...)there is a small chance that you will live to see the next century?"
Am I correct in assuming so?

Ha ha, I suspected someone would think so.

No, you wound me! If you read my posts in other threads, you would know that I am an optmistic longevity/anti-aging proponent. I meant exactly what I said in the above post. :)

Small chance we won't live to the next century = probability of being in a fatal accident you had no control to prevent.

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Maybe we could make the stuff needed to create and stabilize wormholes, making FTL travel possible. 

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I think femto-engineeering would allow us to manipulate physics around us.

Anti-gravity, wormholes, alcubierre drives, anit-matter prepulsion, anti-matter bombs, etc.

Yes, I think magic is a great word for explaining the ramifications of femto-engineering.  I wonder how long it will take to actually engineer on that level.  It may take humanity a loong time to get there, way after 2100.  Or I could be wrong.  I hope I'm wrong.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,126 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

Nano tech would allow a great many miracles as is. old shoes into food. new hearts printed from a toddlers soiled diaper. ect

There are limits though. iron could not be made into gold and thus you encounter rareity of certain elements but the things with the most profound effect on life are based in the commonest elements.

Where it becomes more interesting is in tech that requires exotic elements and energy. If we look for the rarest elements in the universe we may find only a handfull that we can access on the planet. But if they someday prove to be the key to warpdrive or instant cross universe communications then being able to whip up a batch will be most valuble.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Jeez overreaction

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

Jeez dude that is not what I took away from Raklian's message at all. :(

Malgidus

Malgidus

Four Lefts From Reality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationCanada
So what would be the practical benefits of femto-technology, exactly? What would engineering machines and materials on the subatomic level do for us?
I think SG-1 probably has the best ideas for this topic. I haven't put a large amount of thought on what we could do below the level of atomic precision. Just at the scale of atoms and manipulating them to exact precision has an insane amount of potential and is enough to lead us to a Type I civilization, create super intelligence, etc.
I guess we could build antimatter? The heat death of the Universe won't affect us if we can make protons faster than they decay.
Yes, we could build antimatter with this sort of technology, but it would not solve the heat death of the Universe. A proton has an unimaginably large lower boundary on lifetime... so it's not the sort of issue that we need to worry about right now. But it's not the proton decay that is worrisome--it's entropy and the expansion of space (Dark Energy increasing). It's not conceivable with our understanding of physics that using this technology to rebuild the world as it decays and becomes more entropic as doing so would consume energy in the proccess, and only increase entropy. Other than exploiting parallel universes and such, I don't see an out for solving entropy.  
[...] fempto technology could make the Anti-matter factory a real possibility in order to supply for our energy consumption in the 22nd century
Again, as before, I believe we could use this technology to create antimatter. But doing so would cost energy, more than we would get out of it. It's likely that there was much more antimatter in the beginning of the universe, and that it annihilated with matter releasing energy.

My mind has been torn into Oblivion, is there a way to tear that too? Reach into the Oblivion, and through Zen, tear the Universe anew.

Tradesman by day, [game] programmer by night. Philosopher all day long. @Malgidus |Forest Bear Studios

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: femto, nano, tech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users