Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Interplanetary commerce

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

This is how I'm hoping the interplanetary economy will look like by the end of the 21st Century in order to sustain a growing colony on Mars. There are seven major players in the system; Earth, Earth orbit, Mars, Mars orbit, the Moon, Near-Earth Asteroids and Main-Belt Asteroids. 

Earth: High tech Manufactured goods------> Mars

Mars: Low tech manufactured goods and food staples----->Moon, Main-belt Asteroids 

Deuterium-------> Earth

Moon: Helium 3-------> Earth

Near-Earth asteroids: Water, construction metals------> Earth Orbit

Platinum group metals------> Earth

Main-Belt asteroids: Water, construction metals ------>Mars orbit

Platinum group metals------> Earth

Notes: 

-Solar panels, ceramics, plastics, steel, iron, and CH4/O2 rocket fuel, can all be made on Mars with naturally existing materials with the  help of human machinery.  Agriculture  can be sustained on Mars. These would be used locally as well as well as delivered to the small  settlements in the main-belt asteroids (likely Ceres), and the Earths Moon (It is easier to reach the Moon from Mars than from Earth).

-Deuterium is 5 times more prevalent on Mars than on Earth and is used in current nuclear power as well as first and second  generation fusion power. Once fusion power is widespread, the prices of Deuterium will skyrocket from what it is already priced at which  is already fairly high (12 times the cost of Silver).

-Water and construction metals(high grade Nickel, Iron) will be transported to both Mars and Earth orbits from Near-Earth/Main-Belt asteroids for in-orbit refueling and construction.

-Helium 3 is non-existent on Earth and can be used for 2nd generation fusion energy later in the century.

Edited by TransAustin, 23 August 2013 - 06:45 AM.

10gamerguy

10gamerguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA, North America, Earth

This looks awesome. But what about Phobos and Deimos? Do they have anything to offer?

I want mah virtual reality!

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

Not in my life time...

I am sorry but I am a realest and the last 40 years have sucked.

Edited by Matthew, 23 August 2013 - 12:35 AM.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Oort Cloud: Trafficked alien females ------------------> Earth, Mars, Moon

What are you without the sum of your parts?

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
This looks awesome. But what about Phobos and Deimos? Do they have anything to offer?

Hmm.. I haven't really researched them. My guess is that they could be used as construction or refueling sites, given that at least a very small amount of gravity is better than none during construction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users