Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Phobos

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

10gamerguy

10gamerguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA, North America, Earth

If (when) humans colonize Mars, they would want to stay there for a while, right? But then there's the problem of Phobos, the Mars' closest moon. For those who don't know, Phobos will break up and smash into Mars in 30-50 million years when it reaches the Roche Limit. That's a lot, but humans might still be there. Does anyone else think humans will try to push Phobos away to make sure it doesn't kill them?

I want mah virtual reality!

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Perhaps. There's also the possibility that we eventually use it up (that dark soot would be good for lowering the albedo of the Martian ice caps...).

What difference does it make?

Malgidus

Malgidus

Four Lefts From Reality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationCanada
Assume we venture to Mars in the next couple of decades (and likely found a permanent colony at the same time). If I've done my arithmetic correctly, we still have approximately 29 MY to solve this issue. However, it's better to be safe than to be sorry. We could likely mine it for materials and control how it breaks apart over time. EDIT: My apologies. I didn't actually answer the question you posed: No, I do not think humans will push Phobos away. Doing so would require a very large force to accelerate it to Mars' escape velocity. I also do not believe humans (at least in this form) will be around in millions of years.

Edited by Malgidus, 23 August 2013 - 02:11 AM.

My mind has been torn into Oblivion, is there a way to tear that too? Reach into the Oblivion, and through Zen, tear the Universe anew.

Tradesman by day, [game] programmer by night. Philosopher all day long. @Malgidus |Forest Bear Studios

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
30-50 million years is a hell of a long time, so we wouldn't need to worry about it.

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

50 million years ago you'd see the earliest primates known to man today. That's a very, very long time.

10gamerguy

10gamerguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA, North America, Earth

I know 50 million years is really far off, but I was just curious.

I want mah virtual reality!

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

By 50 million years, we will have already long ago shed our humanity and become something we can't even begin to imagine.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

50 million years in the future, there's no doubt that Mars will be terraformed, and Mars's moons will have long since been mined away for resources.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users