Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Future fiction book thread

Science Fiction Sci-Fi SF Future

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

Yalamix

Yalamix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brasil

I recommend two classics: The Time Machine, by H. G. Wells, and Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke.
I know the Time Machine is a bit old, but I was surprised to find that some of the aspects of the story aren't.

And other one I recommend is 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson. It was not what I expected it to be, but it's an interesting book nonetheless, showing aspects of the social changes and some of the roles that AI is in. There is a technological lag compared to FutureTimeline, however. I expected the world to be more advanced.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here. - Arthur C. Clarke

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

I recommend two classics: The Time Machine, by H. G. Wells, and Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke.
I know the Time Machine is a bit old, but I was surprised to find that some of the aspects of the story aren't.

The Time Machine was just amazing. I stood for up for hours reading the whole thing.

I'll try finishing Isaac Asimov's foundation trilogy first before I start on his other works. I've put the books down for exams and never got the mind to read it and unfortunately forgot everything D:

Yalamix

Yalamix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brasil

The Time Machine was just amazing. I stood for up for hours reading the whole thing.

I'll try finishing Isaac Asimov's foundation trilogy first before I start on his other works. I've put the books down for exams and never got the mind to read it and unfortunately forgot everything D:

Oh, it's always a pleasure to read it again. It's worth it, they're my favorite series of all time.

It's a shame that the last book will still be published in my country.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here. - Arthur C. Clarke

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,761 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
Somehow, just finished reading Transhumanist Wager. I recommend it like how a pimp recommends his hos.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Somehow, just finished reading Transhumanist Wager. I recommend it like how a pimp recommends his hos.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Echopraxia, by Peter Watts came out recently.

If you don't have time to read it, at least take a look at the website: http://rifters.com/

What difference does it make?

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

The Time Machine, a fantastic read that really turned my mind's gears towards retro science-fiction. Just an amazing work. It all can be summed up with one picture:

Eloi_Classics_Illustrated.jpg

"The fuck?"

http://en.wikipedia....he_Time_Machine

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I did mention a Fire Upon the Deep (namely that I didn't like it). Though its prequel A Deepness in the Sky is said to be better. So I checked that out from the library. If I finish it I'll let all of you know how good it is.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I did mention a Fire Upon the Deep (namely that I didn't like it). Though its prequel A Deepness in the Sky is said to be better. So I checked that out from the library. If I finish it I'll let all of you know how good it is.

And... I'm a weak hand. I've decided to stop reading it for now. Might pick it up again someday, but not now.

I'm currently asking around for some material on /r/PrintSF. I'm hoping I'll get some good suggestions.

matthewpapa

matthewpapa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationUSA

I have been reading scifi books since I was a little kid. Unfortunately my reading slowed down a lot while I was in school. Now  that I am out of school and working in the last year or so I have been going through about 2-3 a month with my audible subscription while I commute to work. It is great being able to "read" again. I am quickly burning through the well known literature and I need some suggestions :) . I have just finished a few books recently that I liked a lot

My favorites are books set in the next 100-300 year time frame in this solar system. This is attractive to me because it depicts a plausible future for humanity.

I think when we start getting scifi set past 500 years from now it becomes more fantastical than realistic.

Among the best I have read lately:

The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey.

- Very good introduction to the world (doesnt just drop you in). Lots of futuristic culture

- All of the physics, star ships, people seem to make sense

- Unfortunately the last edition of the series sort of got weird. I guess this inevitably happens with many series

The First Formic War series by OSC and Aaron Johnson

- Does a great job of laying out a possible future

- Great character development

- The audiobooks for this series were superbly acted

- Solar system mining

Does anyone have any suggestions of books that are like the two series above?

Other scifi books I have read or listened to in the last 2 years or so:

Citizen of the Galaxy

The moon is a harsh mistress

Ark Royal

Manifold Series

The Martian

Dune

Man of War Series

WWW: Wake

Undying Mercenaries Series

Influx

Tripod Series

Lucifer's Hammer

Singularity Is near

Starship troopers

Childhoods end

Fahrenheit 451

Enders Game Series

Brave new world

World War Z

If any of you guys want feedback on the above before you read please let me know I will be happy to provide it

TheShrike

TheShrike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationBetween a rock and a hard place
I highly recommend the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons(as if my username didn't give it away). It is a fascinating read and is quite philosophical, especially in regards to A.I. I am also currently reading Brave New World, and although it is quite old, it still is a fascinating read.

"Evolution brings human beings.  Human beings, through a long and painful process, bring humanity." 

- Dan Simmons, Hyperion.

matthewpapa

matthewpapa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationUSA

I highly recommend the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons(as if my username didn't give it away). It is a fascinating read and is quite philosophical, especially in regards to A.I. I am also currently reading Brave New World, and although it is quite old, it still is a fascinating read.

Thanks for the recommendation I will check it out

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

There's an upcoming book by Alexander Lamb called "Roboteer". Here's part of the synopsis:

The starship Ariel is on a mission of the utmost secrecy, upon which the fate of thousands of lives depend. Though the ship is a mile long, its six crew are crammed into a space barely large enough for them to stand. Five are officers, geniuses in their field. The other is Will Kuno-Monet, the man responsible for single-handedly running a ship comprised of the most dangerous and delicate technology that mankind has ever devised. He is the Roboteer.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Ordered the book Newton's Wake from the library system. If I finish it I'll do a review.

Synopsis from Wikipedia:

Set in the 24th century, it follows human life after a partially cataclysmic Singularity, and in particular a conflict on a far-flung planet that upsets the prevailing order. It has elements of both transhumanism and satire and is written using the printed versions of common translation stereotypes (e.g. Scottish people say "tae").

Also, I've read Singularity Sky by Charles Stross a while ago. Quirky with some interesting ideas in it.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

My Christmas list includes a few.

Ultima by Stephen Baxter

Deep Navigation by Alastair Reynolds

Digital Rapture by various authors

Climbing Olympus by Daniel Golliher

The last two on that list deal with the technological singularity. :cool:

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I'm currently on the second book of the Voyagers series by Ben Bova.

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationUK

Perhaps I need to update my Christmas list - these books seem rather interesting...

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Perhaps I need to update my Christmas list - these books seem rather interesting...

Any in particular that capture your interest?

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts
  • LocationUK

Any in particular that capture your interest?

Nope, just all of them. :)

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Here's my sci-fi haul for the holidays!

sdMHFQw.jpg

The ones on the left and right are books about the technological singularity. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Science Fiction, Sci-Fi, SF, Future

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users