Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Maglevs vs Hyperloops which is the better, more practical next transportation

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: More practical next transport (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is more practical

1. Maglev (10 votes [58.82%])

Percentage of vote: 58.82%

2. Hyperloop (7 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • LocationCanada

So we've been hearing a lot about Elon Musk's Hyperloop idea lately, but there is another high speed transportation which has also been gaining steam known as the Maglev (I believe the Timeline was just updated with Japan's project within the last month).

While both ideas are nice for the idea of trying to decrease times for passengers I personally think Maglev investments are better overall as they can actually carry cargo which could be a major boost to the economy, and bring down prices thanks to lower transportation costs. I have not currently seen any Hyperloop designs which look like they would be good at transporting cargo. I know the Hyperloops are slightly faster but I don't feel the pricing Elon Musk has been giving on these Hyperloops are realistic, while as the Maglevs are very expensive for the time being but it looks like more countries are getting on board.

Which one of these two modes of transportation do you think is more practical for our near future needs (20-30 years)? Hyperloop or Maglevs?

For those who need to know what they are (both are from Canadian news sites i apologize from their Canadian centric approach):

Hyperloop - http://www.cbc.ca/bo...-hyperloop.html

Maglev - http://www.edmontonj...3069/story.html

FallenPears

FallenPears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUK

I would say maglev, it just seems much more practical and less expensive, but I also imagine at some point a design incorporating both ideas will come up and instead be used.

Also, I don't see why a hyperloop couldn't be used to carry cargo. Modifying it appropriately wouldn't be to hard I would imagine. Perhaps very large cargo could be left to maglev but most things should be fine :/ if im missing something obvious someone say im not to familiar with either designs.

TransAustin

TransAustin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

I think Maglev is more practical at the moment. It has much more research into it and there are maglevs in service today. I think the Hyperloop is a great plan for the future  though.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I'm going with maglev on this one. Much more thoroughly researched.

Edited by Ru1138, 29 August 2013 - 10:54 AM.

What difference does it make?

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Maglev for now. Though this might change in a few years.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

It looks like the hyperloop may win out at the end...

Crowd called to power Hyperloop high-speed transport

http://phys.org/news...high-speed.html

A Southern California Startup Is Trying to Jump Start Elon Musk's Hyperloop

http://www.forbes.co...usks-hyperloop/

What are you without the sum of your parts?

RayMC

RayMC

F̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ᴛ̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ʀ̷̲̅ᴇ̷̲̅

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Maglev trains. The speeds current generation of maglev trains reach are just a fraction to their ultimate potential.

“Wʜᴀᴛ ɪs ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ, ᴡᴀs ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇᴅ.” - Wɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ Bʟᴀᴋᴇ

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationChina

The Hyperloop uses cheaper parts and needs less energy than a maglev train and can probably reach higher speed. So I would go for the hyperloop.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
The Hyperloop uses cheaper parts and needs less energy than a maglev train and can probably reach higher speed. So I would go for the hyperloop.

Yep, that's exactly what Elon Musk said.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationChina

Yep, that's exactly what Elon Musk said.

If you have some understanding on how the hyperloop works and a maglev, put together with some basic physics knowledge you will come to the same conclusion.

TheAsianGuy_LOL

TheAsianGuy_LOL

What's Up Homies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationThe Stars of Which to be Settled

Maglevs will come in the near future, The hyperloop will come later in time.

"We know Everything, but not Everything"~ Me

"Don't question what I know, question what I don't know."~ Me

"Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will"~Italian UFO

qfeys

qfeys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Maglev's have the problem that the hole rail need to have magnets. The hyperloop only need concrete tubes. I say hyperloop is more practical.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

the maglev-hyperloop hybrid train that never stops proposed by jacque fresco.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

RayMC

RayMC

F̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ᴛ̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ʀ̷̲̅ᴇ̷̲̅

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Maglev trains can reach 5000 km/h in vacuum. Just put a maglev train inside an airless tube and your statement is invalid.

“Wʜᴀᴛ ɪs ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ, ᴡᴀs ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇᴅ.” - Wɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ Bʟᴀᴋᴇ

tornado64

tornado64

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationChina

Maglev trains can reach 5000 km/h in vacuum. Just put a maglev train inside an airless tube and your statement is invalid.

I just compared the current maglevs with the proposed hyperloop. Maglevs in a vacuum tube would be a magnitude more expensive but a lot faster.

Still if you compare speed and cost I think the hyperloop would be more feasable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users