Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

First extraterrestrial colony?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: First extraterrestrial colony? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Where will be the first extraterrestrial human colony?

1. The Moon (19 votes [46.34%])

Percentage of vote: 46.34%

2. Mars (18 votes [43.90%])

Percentage of vote: 43.90%

3. Orbiting the Earth (3 votes [7.32%])

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

4. Lagrangian point (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Asteroid (1 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

6. Jovian/Saturnian moon (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Phobos/Deimos (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Outside the Solar System (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Humans will never form an extraterrestrial colony (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

When will the first extraterrestrial colony be formed?

1. before 2020 (1 votes [2.44%])

2. 2021-2030 (9 votes [21.95%])

Percentage of vote: 21.95%

3. 2031-2040 (14 votes [34.15%])

Percentage of vote: 34.15%

4. 2041-2050 (5 votes [12.20%])

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

5. 2051-2070 (6 votes [14.63%])

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

6. 2071-2100 (5 votes [12.20%])

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

7. 2101-2300 (1 votes [2.44%])

8. After 2300 (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Never (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

four

four

Moon Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationThe Universe.

...where humans live with the intention of staying there and reproducing (as opposed to something like the International Space Station where astronauts only stay for 8 months or so)

I think 2030-2039, and it will be on Mars. What do others think?

My collection of quotes
Spoiler

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

I put mars, and also 2071 - 2100 because i think the 'plans' to have legitimate human colonies on mars will be delayed for a while. 

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Darn it, I meant Mars, not the moon.

http://applicants.mars-one.com/

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationUK

Mars, from 2051-2070. To build a permanent colony is far beyond our current technology, so it will take a while but with exponential growth and the right investment I think it will happen in about 40-50 years. Anything before 2040, is in my opinion too optimistic, but I hope I am wrong.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,467 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

We know Elon Musk is one hell of a determined guy.

He has no intention of dying on Earth, that's for sure. He dreams of doing just that on Mars.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

2020-2030 if Mars One is a success, 2030-2040 if not. 

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
The Moon around 2050.
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
The Moon around 2050.
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Roh234

Roh234

Capitalism is the only way to survive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Location11 Dimentional Hyperspace

I'm going bet we are going to try to settle on the Moon.

3 Day trip vs 6 month trip(can be reduced to 1 month) ,having a 1 second delay rather 10 minute delay, and the reduced cost and proximity to the ability to send rockets to the moon at anytime plus the He3 on the moon. I will guarantee the moon will be colonized first. 

What is true, just, and beautiful is not determined by popular vote. The masses everywhere are ignorant, short-sighted, motivated by envy, and easy to fool. Democratic politicians must appeal to these masses in order to be elected. Whoever is the best demagogue will win. Almost by necessity, then, democracy will lead to the perversion of truth, justice and beauty. -Hans Hermann Hoppe

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
The moon during the 2040s would be my guess.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationLake Wanaka, New Zealand, 2025 C.E.
The moon during the 2040s would be my guess.

I agree with FoT going with The Moon in the period of 2041-50.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon
I don't know about the moon, they couldn't be self sufficient like a mars colony could. I mean I could see there being a base on the moon, and mining perhaps, but I'm not sure people would want to permanently live there? The thing about Mars, is that distance is the very thing that will probably cause people to live there permanently.

Edited by Ewan, 07 September 2013 - 08:31 PM.

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin

How much interaction would you expect with such a colony? Would there be tourists from one planet to the other? At the beginning, if necessary, would people who are sick and injured be transported back to earth? It would suck if you go to live on Mars or something and then died of a disease which could've been treated on earth.

On the topic: I would think Mars is more likely to become a permanent human colony. The moon isn't nearly as interesting as Mars, although I could imagine it to become some soft of base. Maybe it would be like a prototype: We see how it works on the Moon, in close proximity to Earth, and then, we'll take the whole thing on a higher level - Mars.

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

King of Ace

King of Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Earth serve as centre ;)

I am not a fan of S.T show "just don't like it" ,Its boring like hell but I love to see cool technology in coming years.

i don't live in really great english countries like some you guys, im alittle indian,chinese,enbgrish ,mexican, leaf village and soul society .

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I expect to see one on the moon long before Mars. Mars probably won't be built on until the second half of this century at least.

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

The only purpose for building a "colony" on the moon would be to service the mining industries at first. Eventually I assume there will be manufacturing on the moon to eliminate the need to push it up to space with a rocket from Earth.

But an honest-to-goodness colony with their own leaders, etc. will likely be Mars as the moon will just be a staging area.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,744 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

A moon colony will happen first, despite being far more hostile than Mars's environment. It's closer and will act as a stepping stone to Mars, but it will be 100% dependant on Earth, at least at first.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationLondon

The Moon, 2035-2040.

I disagree that it's "far beyond our current technology."

I mean, it's not as though we're teleporting a human, or creating wormholes, or some other exotic form of technology. How hard can it be to construct a simple shelter on the Moon's surface? We've already sent humans there, plus we have robots and 3D printers and all kinds of other stuff. Space agencies and private commercial ventures are already making plans for it to happen - check the references in the latest prediction. For China in particular, it would carry enormous prestige.

Also, it would be far cheaper to establish a base on the Moon first, rather than Mars.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

Well really it depends what you mean by a colony... this is the dictionary definition, "A group of people living in such a country or area, consisting of the original settlers and their descendants and successors.". I just don't see a lunar base working like that. More likely is that it would be seasonal work much like the ISS, with workers returning to earth where their families live. I don't think we'll see any lunar colony until perhaps even past 2100. The cost of building infrastructure would have to heavily decrease, and that's not going to happen for a long time. 

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationLondon

Well really it depends what you mean by a colony... this is the dictionary definition, "A group of people living in such a country or area, consisting of the original settlers and their descendants and successors.". I just don't see a lunar base working like that. More likely is that it would be seasonal work much like the ISS, with workers returning to earth where their families live. I don't think we'll see any lunar colony until perhaps even past 2100. The cost of building infrastructure would have to heavily decrease, and that's not going to happen for a long time. 

Beyond 2100? That seems incredibly pessimistic. Look at Bigelow Aerospace and their inflatable modules. Also, 3D printers could source materials locally. Then you have crowd-funding on the Internet, re-usable rockets, new materials, etc. etc. There are many ways of bringing down costs. This isn't the 1970s anymore!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users