Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will humans ever use sentient AI?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Personally, I very much doubt it. Creating sentient robots would be absolutely stupid. What's the point in creating something that has emotions and is capable of being emotionally hurt?

i8obamaskfc

i8obamaskfc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

To prove that they can make it?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,755 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Personally, I very much doubt it. Creating sentient robots would be absolutely stupid. What's the point in creating something that has emotions and is capable of being emotionally hurt?

Why would they have the same emotions as us? How do we know we run the gamut of emotions and there isn't anything else?

Also...

To prove that they can make it?

^

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,744 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Sentience means the AI is aware that it exists. Does that mean it needs emotions? Probably not.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Yeah the probably will, and the AI will probably eventually get rights.  Probably very quickly.

Robots that do housecleaning won't be sentient though.  That would be ridiculous.  The forum had an argument about this a while ago, and some people said we'd just make the sentient AI want to serve humanity.  I personally think that is freaking ridiculous.  I don't know when robots will be sentient, but I know in the 2020s AI will be pretty much indistinguishable from consciousness if it was designed properly.

Even a 2029 AI program will be limited in what it can do, but what it does do, it will do extremely life-like.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,755 posts

We'd need major advances in robot dexterity before we had robots that ubiquitous in housecleaning, I've realized. 

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,744 posts

Researchers recently developed robotic muscle that moves in response to electrical/electronic impulses. That's already a step toward robots a lot more dexterous than those that use pneumatic/hydraulic pipes and tubes for movement. Source:

http://www.33rdsquar...rong-robot.html

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,755 posts

Back on topic though, without emotions what exactly would stop AI from taking human life? No remorse, so they have no reason to stop. They don't pity us or feel sad or anguish from regret. Another name for a sentient being lacking emotions or emotional constraint is a "clinical psychopath."

Still, go on about robot dexterity...

Edited by The Young Homo Maximus, 11 September 2013 - 11:30 PM.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

With no emotions, one would assume no ambitions. 

They would probably just start crunching numbers and doing science.  That or just up and leave the Earth to go off somewhere else.

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Sentience means the AI is aware that it exists. Does that mean it needs emotions? Probably not.

^This.

But if they could program or simulate emotion as well, that would be amazing. You would have artificially created life forms integrating themselves into society instead of just being tools we can use. YOU COULD BECOME FRIENDS WITH A ROBOT. HOW IS THAT NOT AWESOME?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,755 posts

With no emotions, one would assume no ambitions. 

They would probably just start crunching numbers and doing science.  That or just up and leave the Earth to go off somewhere else.

Yeah, wouldn't that suck on a biblical scale.

Scientists: Hooray! We've created artificial intelligence without emotions, so it won't destroy us all! Save the human race, please!

AI: I don't care. (Flies off to the center of the universe)

Scientists:....

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Emotions are more important than you think, they teach us what we value and what we don't, and also - in a complicated way - make it possible for us to distinguish things that are important from things that are not, aka prioritize our responsibilities.

Without emotions, if I received 2 commands I wouldn't be able to distinguish their importance. If I received two commands to pick up my friend because he was stranded with no ride, and clean the house, I wouldn't be able to realize which one to do first, or which one to prioritize.

Or if I have 5000 possible solutions to a math problem, they teach me where to look or what to look for (i.e. prioritization)

Ofcourse it is possible to simulate these importances, but then that's not true sentience if you have to hard-code this into a robot.

Humans will eventually create sentient AI like said above to prove we can do it. We will also likely create sentient AI as we begin merging with machines and amplify our intelligence. But this AI's intelligence will likely be magnitudes above humans, or atleast will reach that point quickly.

Edited by Squillimy, 12 September 2013 - 03:16 PM.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

That is the path we our on. Many prominent futurists believe we will have true AI in less than three decades. I suggest any forum member here should do some research on the subject.

We will also likely create sentient AI as we begin merging with machines and amplify our intelligence. But this AI's intelligence will likely be magnitudes above humans, or atleast will reach that point quickly.

Yes, AI would very quickly surpass human intelligence. This is a cause of much debate over the consequences.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
What I'm saying is, if we create robots that are such aware of their existence that "abusing" them would be a crime, what would be the point in creating them?

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

What I'm saying is, if we create robots that are such aware of their existence that "abusing" them would be a crime, what would be the point in creating them?

Abusing other humans is usually a crime, what would be different about abusing artificial humans? 

I think your question is one being considered by a lot of people. I think it quite likely that emotions will arise naturally from artificial intelligence just as it did from bio brains. Emotions are a product of the brain we share with animals, mammals at least. It would be a logical extension that we would afford rights to AI beings that share our level of intelligence and our emotions, too some extent.

Edited by UFG, 12 September 2013 - 05:32 PM.

RayMC

RayMC

F̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ᴛ̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ʀ̷̲̅ᴇ̷̲̅

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Exactly. Just because an AI is sentinent, doesn't mean that it can have emotions.

“Wʜᴀᴛ ɪs ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ, ᴡᴀs ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇᴅ.” - Wɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ Bʟᴀᴋᴇ

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Exactly. Just because an AI is sentinent, doesn't mean that it can have emotions.

So, are you saying AI can't have emotions?

Full Definition of SENTIENT 1 : responsive to or conscious of sense impressions <sentient beings> 2 : aware 3 : finely sensitive in perception or feeling — sen·tient·ly adverb

Edited by UFG, 12 September 2013 - 06:43 PM.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,744 posts

It's probably possible to make a sentient consciousness from scratch without including any of those pesky reptilian emotions like hate, territorialism, greed, and such.

If it were up to me what true emotions it would have, if any, I would give it love (platonic), happiness, a bottomless sense of duty, and a sense of moral obligation to do good for its creators.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Who said anything about abusing them? We could cooperate them in the fields of science and/or integrate them into society. Although we likely wouldn't create several of them, There's no reason that they'd be distinguishable from humans. They could even be engineered to have human skin.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

RayMC

RayMC

F̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ᴛ̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ʀ̷̲̅ᴇ̷̲̅

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

So, are you saying AI can't have emotions?

Full Definition of SENTIENT 1 : responsive to or conscious of sense impressions <sentient beings> 2 : aware 3 : finely sensitive in perception or feeling — sen·tient·ly adverb

Then the answer to his question is no, we will never use fully sentinent AI, it will be aware that it exists, but no emotions. If AIs have emotions, than in most cases it will end up with us being killed.

“Wʜᴀᴛ ɪs ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ, ᴡᴀs ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇᴅ.” - Wɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ Bʟᴀᴋᴇ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users