Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will humans ever use sentient AI?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Uh, what makes you think that?

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

I hope we can before humanity destroys its self.

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Sentience means the AI is aware that it exists. Does that mean it needs emotions? Probably not.

Exactly. Just because an AI is sentinent, doesn't mean that it can have emotions.

So, are you saying AI can't have emotions?

Full Definition of SENTIENT 1 : responsive to or conscious of sense impressions <sentient beings> 2 : aware 3 : finely sensitive in perception or feeling — sen·tient·ly adverb

Then the answer to his question is no, we will never use fully sentinent AI, it will be aware that it exists, but no emotions. If AIs have emotions, than in most cases it will end up with us being killed.

What is it, do you think, that an animal's brain has that AI wouldn't have? Do you think emotions come from somewhere other than the brain?

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

What I'm saying is, if we create robots that are such aware of their existence that "abusing" them would be a crime, what would be the point in creating them?

Who said anything about abusing them? We could cooperate them in the fields of science and/or integrate them into society. Although we likely wouldn't create several of them, There's no reason that they'd be distinguishable from humans. They could even be engineered to have human skin.
LOL @ "Who said anything about abusing them?" - that was the question I was asking when I created this thread! Creating sentient AI would be stupid when we could have non-sentient AI that works just as well.

RayMC

RayMC

F̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ᴛ̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ʀ̷̲̅ᴇ̷̲̅

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Sentience means the AI is aware that it exists. Does that mean it needs emotions? Probably not.

Exactly. Just because an AI is sentinent, doesn't mean that it can have emotions.

So, are you saying AI can't have emotions?

Full Definition of SENTIENT 1 : responsive to or conscious of sense impressions <sentient beings> 2 : aware 3 : finely sensitive in perception or feeling — sen·tient·ly adverb

Then the answer to his question is no, we will never use fully sentinent AI, it will be aware that it exists, but no emotions. If AIs have emotions, than in most cases it will end up with us being killed.

What is it, do you think, that an animal's brain has that AI wouldn't have? Do you think emotions come from somewhere other than the brain?

I am NOT saying that emotions don't come from the brain. We won't use fully sentinent AI not because we can't emulate emotions, but because that would be our worst mistake ever.

We only need AI which is sentinent and aware, no need for emotions.

“Wʜᴀᴛ ɪs ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ, ᴡᴀs ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇᴅ.” - Wɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ Bʟᴀᴋᴇ

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,755 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
One problem- no emotions, apathy reigns (as far as we know). The AI could kill billions and not care. The lack of emotions is psychopathy. We've already had to deal with psychopaths running things for... thousands of years! The last thing we need is a psychopathic artificial god.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

One problem- no emotions, apathy reigns (as far as we know). The AI could kill billions and not care. The lack of emotions is psychopathy. We've already had to deal with psychopaths running things for... thousands of years! The last thing we need is a psychopathic artificial god.

Our brains, and the brains of higher animals, probably developed emotions because they are the seat of motivation and context. Without either, AI would be limited in my view. AI would need emotion to understand human behavior and thinking and to interact appropriately with us. Robotic engineers are already working with the  fundamentals of emotion as we speak.

http://www.ai.mit.ed...met/kismet.html

Halcyon

Halcyon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

The ultimate goal of humanity has always been to replicate itself. It's natural for us to want to create images of ourselves, even yet, perfect images of ourselves.

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

The ultimate goal of humanity has always been to replicate itself. It's natural for us to want to create images of ourselves, even yet, perfect images of ourselves.

I remember reading in christian apocalyptic literature that the 'Beast' in the last days would create 'an image of himself that could speak'. Perhaps the old prophets were looking ahead after all...

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

I remember reading in christian apocalyptic literature that the 'Beast' in the last days would create 'an image of himself that could speak'. Perhaps the old prophets were looking ahead after all...

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

^ lol wtf? haha

Robots will likely have emotions because emotions represent part of a model of how we understand our consciousness and how it works. Emotions isn't just mad, sad, happy, angry etc. It's much more complicated than that; and saying that it isn't is just like saying the 4 elements of the universe are earth, water, wind, and fire. Maybe if you live in the 18th century you can happily follow those beliefs, but that's not the case anymore.

Because we are trying to create artificial intelligence modeled from our own brains, I find it unlikely that it'd even work without emotions. Without emotions, what is driving the intelligence? Why does it help scientist with research? In what direction is it's ability aimed at? How does it make decisions? Emotions are things that lead us into being able to carry out these tasks and more. The issue goes much further than the robot not being able to "care" or having "apathy". I doubt if a robot has no emotions, it can have "consciousness", because you'd need hard-wire exactly what it needs to do, or what its purpose is. And that is not "consciousness". You could get around this by making "smart algorithms" that can solve these issues and self-learn, but is this not just a simulated and crude version of what Emotions themselves are? In fact that sounds a lot like the robots we have today, and why we are having issues creating true AI. Decision making, cognition, and Emotions are not mutually exclusive. Atleast I do not believe they are.

Edited by Squillimy, 17 September 2013 - 05:13 PM.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

And the last days will be consumed of fire in a final battle of Angels VS Demons VS Humans VS Robots. LOL

Movie idea!!!

Edited by Squillimy, 17 September 2013 - 05:17 PM.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users