Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Interstellar Communication

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

CyberJosh

CyberJosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

In all your popular science fiction such as, Star Wars, Star Trek etc they always have virtually, instantaneous communication between two locations that may be thousands of light years away from each other. This indeed got me wondering as to whether there is anything within the laws of physics that we know of today that may permit such a feat?

I'll try and reply to this one this time. :/

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Well... assuming FTL drive is possible, maybe unmanned FTL messenger craft?

What difference does it make?

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

Wormholes but they're just theoretical. The Alcubierre drive is another theoretical idea, again working by manipulating space so that the object is not travelling faster than the speed of light in it's own frame of reference. 

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,643 posts
  • LocationCanada

Quantum teleportation/information , or in the words of Albert Einstein "spooky action at a distance" although we very much don't understand how it works right now. :)

RayMC

RayMC

F̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ᴛ̷̲̅ᴜ̷̲̅ʀ̷̲̅ᴇ̷̲̅

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Wormholes may be the only way..

From wikipedia:

"If wormholes are possible, then ordinary subluminal methods of communication could be sent through them to achieve superluminal transmission speeds. Considering the immense energy that current theories suggest would be required to open a wormhole large enough to pass spacecraft through it may be that only atomic-scale wormholes would be practical to build, limiting their use solely to information transmission. Some theories of wormhole formation would prevent them from ever becoming "timeholes", allowing superluminal communication without the additional complication of allowing communication with the past."

“Wʜᴀᴛ ɪs ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʀᴏᴠᴇᴅ, ᴡᴀs ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴇᴅ.” - Wɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ Bʟᴀᴋᴇ

four

four

Moon Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationThe Universe.

Quantum entanglement seems the most "feasible" method if it works. See also: superluminal communication.

My collection of quotes
Spoiler

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,745 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
Wormhole and quantum communication are likely candidates since they needn't obey light speed constraints.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,744 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

People are talking about quantum entanglement and such. It's definitely a possibility, but I imagine that by the time we have FTL we'll also have femto-technology.

Nobody really knows what the applications of intelligent, artificial subatomic particles are, but I'm sure they will be quite handy for bending the laws of physics, in short, magic. Hell, such things will probably make FTL possible.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Devices that can transport information instantaneously but perhaps at first need to be seperated by distance without violating the speed of light limit. Perhaps 'telephones' can be transported via alcubierre drives and then used to communicate. Ofcourse just speculation.

Another method, already stated here, was the idea of micro / nano scopic wormholes. I think that could be a real possibility in the future for information transmission. Perhaps once negative matter or other exotic matters can be created in the lab. possibly with the help of fempto technology

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

CyberJosh

CyberJosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Ok, so the possible candidates for Superluminal Communication are:[/font]

• [font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Quantum Entanglement [/font]
  • [font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Via an alcubierre drive[/font]
  • [font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Via microscopic/nanoscopic wormholes[/font]

Now sorry if this sounds juvenile but how would any of you rank these in plausibility? I'd say, from what most of you said, that it would probably be in the order above? Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the alcubierre drive a more plausible way of FTL travel than that of generating wormholes?

Also, the article on wikipedia seemed very pessimistic on the matter and stated that scientific consensus is that it's not possible, is this a valid conclusion or not?

Edited by CyberJosh, 16 September 2013 - 07:26 PM.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,744 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

^^^ You forgot femto-technology. With femto-technology just about anything could be possible to do, and it will likely be the scientific buzzword of the 2100's.

Isn't the alcubierre drive just kind of a spacetime- bending pony express?

There's no doubt that interstellar communication will be an incredibly difficult problem to solve, but we may just get it eventually.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

My bets on quantum entanglement first. This could be used for even transmission of information between mars, as they would be lagged significantly.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

KaRdAsHeV~sCaLe

KaRdAsHeV~sCaLe

0.72 on the Kardashev scale and slowly getting more advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in this universe

GREAT idea :D. If only we had the technology...

Counting down the days until 2050: 12,499 Humanity = 0.72 on the Kardashev scale
Counting down the days until 2100: 30,761
Counting down the days until 3000: 359,479

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users