Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

So are there any actual transhumans?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,755 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

I vaguely remember asking this in the past, but I can't recall quite correctly. 

Having watched the Joe Rogan Questions Everything episode about Robosapiens, I saw that there are some people who could indeed be defined as transhuman, but dubiously (they put special magnets in their fingers so they can detect electromagnetic frequencies with their hands, IIRC)

So with that said, are there any confirmed people out there that are, indeed, transhuman?

In fact, what's the threshold for "transhumanism" because if I wanted to, I could saying owning a smartphone is transhumanist.

My standards is that "does it make you better than you were otherwise?" So bionic eyes don't count since they're still low-res and bionic limbs are still prosthetics compared to actual limbs. So they're not exactly "better."

I know there is one guy who actually is a cyborg and thus quite possibly the world's first transhuman, but I forget his name.

Any other ones we know of?

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I think in general the term transhuman is used to refer to somebody that starts out as baseline human like everybody else but moves away from the human way of being. It's not Parahuman or superhuman, just no longer on the same path as humans norms.

In that sense it's not about the tech or gadgets, it's about a mindset of being true to the person reguardless of what the rest of humanity does or thinks appropriate. In this sense some of the more extreme furries out there may qualify. as do some who prefer to live outside the gender binary, who refer to themselves as gender queer, by deliberately trying to be indestinguishable as one or the other and want to have people not know for sure.

extreme body modders could also classify. bisected tongues... and other parts..., horns, coloring the whites of the eyes black. These are all things modders do to become other than human norm. It's the transition from human.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

There aren't any transhumans yet because it means "transcendant human", or someone who upgrades their body with artificial parts. So far I don't believe there's any voluntary things you can undergo to permanantly upgrade your body. Right now we're stuck at simply fixing broken things.

I don't believe there's a single case of undergoing surgery / treatment to permanently upgrade your body performance (so plastic surgery does not count, neither do things like vitamin pills or steroids etc). Even if you were a diabetic and you, say, put a chip in your vein to monitor your blood-sugar levels, that's not really an "improvement" but rather something to regulate an already existing flaw in your body.

Edited by Squillimy, 17 September 2013 - 11:16 PM.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

four

four

Moon Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationThe Universe.

I recall a topic about this a few months ago. Neil Harbisson is a clear example of this as he can see infrared.

Some bionic limbs arguably qualify because by using different types of detachable limb, the person with prosthetics can have an advantage in situations like rock climbing, running, etc where the bionic limbs can be better than normal human ones.

Stelarc has three ears, but one doesn't work so I don't think that would count.

And then there is human-brain-to-robot-arm or even human-brain-to-human-brain communication, which, while obviously impossible without technology, doesn't count since it's not permanent.

Steve Mann has had an EyeTap (ancient version of Google Glass) surgically attached to his head for a while, but it is removable with correct equipment.

My collection of quotes
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users