Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Global Hegemony

politics government hegemony global

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Could the world's nations really ever be united under a single banner, one government and overall leader? Are historical and cultural barriers especially going to be a problem? Is it worth looking at existing countries such as the United States as a model for how a central federal government, can oversee a large number of united territories which themselves retain some independence to institute their own laws and taxes, as well as local culture and practices, while still feeling like they belong to the larger entity? Or are we seeing the cracks appearing in an another experiment, that of uniting Europe, with Greece pondering an exit from the Euro and a return to its own currency, and nations like Scotland seeking independence from the UK? How do we bridge the gap between the first and third world as capitalism continues to grow as the primary economic philosophy around the world, and the gap between rich and poor grows ever larger?

~Jon

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
There will probably be dissenters.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
^I don't think there's any 'probably' about it, heh. There will be resistance, without a doubt, given the strength of cultural and political identity around the world and I cannot see something like this happening peacefully, but there may be circumstances which we cannot foresee which lead to its necessity, be that in the form of population issues, the depletion of natural resources, a catastrophic natural disaster or the invention of some kind of world changing technology- the latter is probably a must, could a global nation even exist and be governed with today's technology and resources?

~Jon

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.
Simple answer: No. I'm seeing it all over the place with all these big companies merging, governments trying to oversee everything - it never works. In fact, governments and large corporations are looking to become smaller or at least more autonomous (small-government, sister corporations, etc.). If it does come down to being created it is likely going to be a result of what you said Jon, resources. If there is a world-government that all countries accept and adhere to, money and the economy as we know it will be non-existent. There won't be any trade "this for that" it will just be allocated. And same goes with population. If they want to "stabilize" a region they'll pluck out the people who are over-exerting their food supply by over-multiplying. So if this was the case, then just migrate the overpopulated areas with no food to areas where there is some. Letting people govern themselves is what keeps the peace for the most part. As soon as one group says they can or can't do this or that then conflicts flare up.

Guest_tehpwnerer_*

Guest_tehpwnerer_*
  • Guests
only if it is the USA

FrostFuzz

FrostFuzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationClassified
This may happen if money becomes irrelevant, it definitely wont happen before. Even then you have to get the majority of the population to agree, so I don't see this happening in the short term...

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationUK
I think global cultures will blend to create a single culture, though it'll be mainly westernized. Despite this, with the internet and the ability for people to have unique experiences and interact in groups regardless of geography, people will become more individualistic and expressive.

Trezoristo

Trezoristo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationLeiden, The Netherlands
The Economist contained an article a while back about Facebook now having 500 million users, and starting to act like a country (link). I believe this is a very interesting concept.

The general idea is that because distance will play an increasingly smaller role (for both communication and travelling), geography will eventually become meaningless in defining groups people belong to. Consider the extreme; that every person on Earth can cheaply move from any location on the Earth to any other, instantly. Under those circumstances your friends, family and work will be close no matter where you live. Obviously common history and culture are currently strongly connected to geography, but given enough time such a connection will slowly erode.

'Countries', as groupings of with under equal laws, might still exist but not be connected to geography. Perhaps people would choose to belong to a 'country' based on, for instance, ideology.

This is the extreme, obviously, but I actually think we (that is to say, at least the developed world), is slowly drifting in this direction.

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

The Economist contained an article a while back about Facebook now having 500 million users, and starting to act like a country (link). I believe this is a very interesting concept.

The general idea is that because distance will play an increasingly smaller role (for both communication and travelling), geography will eventually become meaningless in defining groups people belong to. Consider the extreme; that every person on Earth can cheaply move from any location on the Earth to any other, instantly. Under those circumstances your friends, family and work will be close no matter where you live. Obviously common history and culture are currently strongly connected to geography, but given enough time such a connection will slowly erode.

We would have to have a technological singularity for this to happen: Transporters http://www.futuretim...tyle_emoticons/animate/thumbup.gif. Sadly I think I won't live to see the day they're made.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
There's no need for such hegemony. As stated above thanks to internet cultures blend. Also wars will become obsolete. There won't be III World War because there's no need for it. Americans may fight for oil, but that will end at some point. There won't be war between China and western world. Who woluld want that. Chinese are smarter, they'll just buy whole world, they won't care if Africa, Europe or USA fly their flag or speak chinese. Unless someone screws up really hard or climate change pushes us to some craziness we have nice shot at self regulating global population, without war, but not without it's problems and horrible flaws. Optimist out.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Chronomaster

Chronomaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
I expect there will always be national divides. It's part of the human psyche, ultimately... you only have to look at how far down the chain this goes, people from different neighbourhoods maintain differences, let alone different towns, different cities and different countries. I find it hard to see how we'll ever put that behind us. Of course, this doesn't necessarily prevent a global hegemony, as you've said the US is 'United' under a federal government yet maintains some pretty fierce and proud 'divisions' between its states successfully, I expect a global government would follow a very similar model but have to agree, unless something conspires to force it into being, it'll never happen peacefully.
Counting down...

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
I have to agree with the general consensus that there will never be a benevolent political, global hegemony so long as humanity remains divided by issues such as race, gender, religion and political/social culture, though these are constantly being eroded they are part and parcel of the fabric of our being and has been suggested here, will probably only be broken down by technology. I don't necessarily agree that an emerging global culture will necessarily remain westernised though, but this really depends on the freedoms accorded to those non-western countries in interacting and communicating with the rest of the world, I guess.

~Jon

Random Guy

Random Guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
When pigs fly. In other words, in the amount of time it will take for humans to be able to genetically modify pigs so that they can fly; centuries, maybe millennia. Probably never. Then Patrick will pay me back. :dry:

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
I am not too sure. A New World Order, if you will could definitely pop up with advances in technologies and increases in human knowledge. Certain advancements with technologies need to happen, however. 1. A creation of a one world biological e-commerce digital system whereas you are the basis of the currency. Is a microchip inside you, the future of NFC just announced by Google? 2. Religion becoming Illegal. As we become more connected and share more knowledge and become more scientific based. Humanity may soon start questioning their own crazy religions here on Earth(no offense to anyone who believes in religion) If anything cannot be scientifically proven it will become illegal! This may be the hardest one to do though. 3. Farming Improvements and The creation of a replicator type device. We could use the replicators to create mutant seeds that can grow in the desert and only take seconds to grow. This could save many nations which are dying of Hunger namely Africa. A great flagship for world peace would be the disappearance of hunger and resources. 4. As robotic technologies and the intelligence increases humanity will find that they have a lot of free time. Now, they could either fight and attack each other, or do it virtually in high tech future video games and simulations. 5. Gene studies and Brain Mapping. If humans completely understood all the genes in the body and all of what the brain could do then we could cure every and all diseases and eventually stop the aging process. Of course who knows what China's Agenda will be in the future that is a big question mark. Would they want a One World Society??
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Random Guy

Random Guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ban religion? Are you a Communist? And I know that all of you are convinced that China will become a superpower, which it won't, and China is Communist, but no democratic country would let that happen.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
China is already a superpower. And it's no longer communist in Cold War meaning, there's still censorship, rule of heavy hand but ask any economist and he'll tell you that under red shell there's capitalism there. It's unprecedented transition.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationUK
In many ways China is more capitalist than the west.

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

Ban religion? Are you a Communist?

The suggestion that banning religion is a good idea to eliminate certain touchy topics in our society in order for it to become one, does not make me a communist. It is just common sense. If you looked at my idea for creating a One World Government than you can definitely see how banning religion or merging all religions will make it a whole lot easier to govern everybody. We cannot do it as easily today, because everybody has differences in their religion and a lot of laws and traditions of certain countries are very traditional and religious based. Hell, Christianity alone has over a 100 different types! This idea has been mentioned in various New World Order scenarios for complete control over society and is in fact on of the three things mentioned in the Bible that will happen at the end of days. (if you believe in that sort of thing). The other two being One world government and One world economy. Please think about things before you type them.

In fact, I think mostly all religions alienate themselves as the primary religion that you should believe in. All others are false and they will burn in hell or whatever the religion believes will happen to non-believers. Religion separates the people as it paints the illusion of community and family (but that's only in the Religion itself).
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Random Guy

Random Guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
"Religion is, indeed, the self-consciousness and self-esteem of man who has either not yet won through to himself, or has already lost himself again. But man is no abstract being squatting outside the world. Man is the world of man—state, society. This state and this society produce religion, which is an inverted consciousness of the world, because they are an inverted world. Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d'honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification. It is the fantastic realization of the human essence since the human essence has not acquired any true reality. The struggle against religion is, therefore, indirectly the struggle against that world whose spiritual aroma is religion. Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of religion is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which religion is the halo." - Karl Marx And you know what? He's right. Who caused 9/11? Religious fanatics. Who are the idiots on Fox News? Religious fanatics. Who is causing turmoil in the Middle East? Religious fanatics. But to forcefully ban religion will never work. And China is not a superpower.

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

And you know what? He's right. Who caused 9/11? Religious fanatics. Who are the idiots on Fox News? Religious fanatics. Who is causing turmoil in the Middle East? Religious fanatics. But to forcefully ban religion will never work.

I am not going to debate you on China being or not being a superpower, it will be and already is. Just read the news and follow all of the financial opportunities that are happening in China right now. Others can debate you on this topic.

I am nowhere near for a One World Government there will be a lot of problems with it. However yes, Banning or merging religion is going to be hard but it is a crucial step for a One World Government. If we all grow up and realize that most of all religions are based on superstitions and myths we may be able to elect to converge all religions together in a future society. It won't be easy but it is necessary.

Now putting in a news corporation along with the religious fanatics of 9/11 and the Middle East does not really help your statement. A better example would have been Hitler and WWII. FOX News is not all religious fanatics. There are some programs on the channel that can be considered religious but not every show is. Just like there are some shows on MSN, CNN, and the rest of the media. They all have their own share of religious fanatics. No, rather the real religious fanatics would be the preachers on the higher level cable channels.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: politics, government, hegemony, global

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users