Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Global Hegemony

politics government hegemony global

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Mitch

Mitch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAustralia xD
Even though im new to this forum i've been reading lots of debates and read all of the future time line from the year 2000 to The far future. I'm wondering if it's possilble that there would be a Single World Government and a single currency which everyone, regardless of where they come from used. Would we be able to vote for it? When would this happen? Will money be abolished in the near future? Who will be the leader of this government? Is this possible or practical? Will all the governments "Merge" together to form this? Feel free to post your comments and debate/discuss.
"I walk alone, cause I was born alone , I'm really famous, I'm super known and if your son doesn't i make your daughter know!'. Tini tempah song "pass out".

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Hey Mitch, welcome to the forum :) I’ve merged your thread ‘single world government’ with this existing thread, as they are both discussing the same thing. The consensus so far very much seems to have been that it will probably never happen peacefully unless there’s a significant, technologically led overhaul in global culture and politics.

~Jon

Wesfky

Wesfky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Its inevitable /thread

Sorok

Sorok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationQuebec
I think the only way it could possibly work is as a result of some major global catastrophe which a.) SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the world's population b.) somehow reduces the overall land masses to be be governed and c.) which forces leaders (not necessarily political) to work together globally.

More realistically....I see an organizational model such as the UN being the only other alternative (basically nothing changes except for maybe more membership). (Conservatives don't shoot me on the inefficiencies of the UN (remember that the UN is primarily criticized for being bad enforcers of international rules that Americans would like to see taken care of). Also, IMO, as long as there are "superpowers" in the world, such as the US....an organization such as the UN will ALWAYS be undermined since, for example, the US has the military and financial capability to enforce international law much more efficiently and effectively than the UN. (But of course, that's why so many people around the world absolutely despise US international policy.)

Would be nice though eh? All the world on the same page? Heh, all that would be missing would be our food replicators, site to site transporters, and warp drive! http://www.futuretim...tyle_emoticons/animate/thumbup.gif
"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future"

Roh234

Roh234

Capitalism is the only way to survive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Location11 Dimentional Hyperspace
I don't think its possible for a global government unless we eliminate cultural, ethnic and geograpgic barriers. The elimination of dictators is also needed with a US style of representative republic. There would also be the trouble of chooisng where the 'World Capitol' and the World Government building would be. Also imagine the power these elected officals would have. To have such power is something I'm not willing to give. Sorry, I'll be a dissender until I view humanity to be ready for a global government. However, it will probably eliminate the competition of developing and growth between countries. Also, setting a global 'minimum wage and labor regulations' would also prove disasterious. Developing countries would be hit with massive inflation. If global labor regulations aren't made, outsourcing will be even faster and easier. There needs to be major technological advancement where inter-continental travel becomes extrememly fast and affordable.

What is true, just, and beautiful is not determined by popular vote. The masses everywhere are ignorant, short-sighted, motivated by envy, and easy to fool. Democratic politicians must appeal to these masses in order to be elected. Whoever is the best demagogue will win. Almost by necessity, then, democracy will lead to the perversion of truth, justice and beauty. -Hans Hermann Hoppe

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl

I don't think its possible for a global government unless we eliminate cultural, ethnic and geograpgic barriers. The elimination of dictators is also needed with a US style of representative republic. There would also be the trouble of chooisng where the 'World Capitol' and the World Government building would be. Also imagine the power these elected officals would have. To have such power is something I'm not willing to give. Sorry, I'll be a dissender until I view humanity to be ready for a global government.

However, it will probably eliminate the competition of developing and growth between countries. Also, setting a global 'minimum wage and labor regulations' would also prove disasterious. Developing countries would be hit with massive inflation. If global labor regulations aren't made, outsourcing will be even faster and easier. There needs to be major technological advancement where inter-continental travel becomes extrememly fast and affordable.

There cannot be a complete one world government with complete control over all the people without total brainwashing technologies and probably drugs!
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Azevo

Azevo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Its inevitable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AWnfFRc7g&feature=related
/thread

Reminds me of Kant and Hegel, very good find sir, will have to show my class this. I have have read some Rifkin before, very strong idealist, he is doing some good stuff.

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
Empathy? Watch the whole thing.
I'm a business man, that's all you need to know about me.

Azevo

Azevo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
I can't hear half of what was said in that video, has poor sound quality. I picked up a guy being appointed to something who is muslim, thats about it?

Chronomaster

Chronomaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

There cannot be a complete one world government with complete control over all the people without total brainwashing technologies and probably drugs!

Honestly... I don't know. Countries like China and India manage to hold sovereignty over a billion people each, I don't see any reason why eventually a form of government couldnt scale up to the entire population of the planet...
Counting down...

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

Honestly... I don't know. Countries like China and India manage to hold sovereignty over a billion people each, I don't see any reason why eventually a form of government couldnt scale up to the entire population of the planet...

Maybe but they generally have a lot less freedom than here in the US or even the EU. My problem with the One World Government scenario is that how will you control 8 Billion people? maybe even 10 Billion once it gets there.

We can't even control political disputes here in the US and over in the UK. There comes a time when government can get too big. Imagine if the world government were to enact a policy change that affects everyone in the world? Most likely half the population will hate it. Nothing will get done, because of individualism greed and culture. But a space era and maybe a type of first contact with aliens could change that as in star trek.
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Zachemc2

Zachemc2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
The US and Iran under the same government? O.o You can't control 7 billion people.

truthiness

truthiness

The Squire of Gothos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo MI
I think we're taking a very 20th century view of this whole issue... how about a super-intelligent global AI that is given control of all the world's resources and is given broad scope to make global policy decisions that are binding through international law? No corruption, no politics, no giving up of national pride to foreign rulers, and no world capitol... AIs could replace "decision-makers" in a great many fields, from city planners to CEOs to generals to judges to senators, and they'll outperform every single one.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

I think we're taking a very 20th century view of this whole issue... how about a super-intelligent global AI that is given control of all the world's resources and is given broad scope to make global policy decisions that are binding through international law? No corruption, no politics, no giving up of national pride to foreign rulers, and no world capitol...

AIs could replace "decision-makers" in a great many fields, from city planners to CEOs to generals to judges to senators, and they'll outperform every single one.

I like that type of thinking for a far future society, however my only problem with that is, what would we do????

Remember the twilight zone episode when the guy dies and he gets everything he wishes for and thinks he's in heaven and everything is great!!! Then a few days later it gets so annoying that he figures out he is actually in hell being tortured with let's say, too much good and pleasure!!!!!

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam

I think we're taking a very 20th century view of this whole issue... how about a super-intelligent global AI that is given control of all the world's resources and is given broad scope to make global policy decisions that are binding through international law? No corruption, no politics, no giving up of national pride to foreign rulers, and no world capitol...

AIs could replace "decision-makers" in a great many fields, from city planners to CEOs to generals to judges to senators, and they'll outperform every single one.

I like that type of thinking for a far future society, however my only problem with that is, what would we do????

Remember the twilight zone episode when the guy dies and he gets everything he wishes for and thinks he's in heaven and everything is great!!! Then a few days later it gets so annoying that he figures out he is actually in hell being tortured with let's say, too much good and pleasure!!!!!

I would say that we could devote all of our time to innovation and discovery. However, you would of course get into the debate, what if machines were so intelligent they can invent faster than humans can? If we were to come to a world government moderated by AI, it would ideally be that humans, transhumans, and AI are all working together, learning and discovering equally (assuming intelligence augmentation works out so humans can keep up).

Of course, that's just my idea of it working out perfectly in the end, so... maybe not.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

I would say that we could devote all of our time to innovation and discovery. However, you would of course get into the debate, what if machines were so intelligent they can invent faster than humans can? If we were to come to a world government moderated by AI, it would ideally be that humans, transhumans, and AI are all working together, learning and discovering equally (assuming intelligence augmentation works out so humans can keep up).

Of course, that's just my idea of it working out perfectly in the end, so... maybe not.

Still with advanced technology wouldn't that take just DAYS to complete?? Then what?

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

The US and Iran under the same government? O.o You can't control 7 billion people.

I’m sure a century ago the thought of controlling over a billion people might have seemed obscene too. Just because our current political and cultural landscape doesn’t lend itself to this scenario doesn’t mean it can never happen, a lot can and will change. A global government may well take the form of a federation or perhaps a union like Europe’s, where states within are still semi-autonomous and self governing, even retaining individual sovereignty. It’s impossible to predict how and why it might happen, but it will probably be technology driven as discussed above, indeed.

~Jon

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam

Still with advanced technology wouldn't that take just DAYS to complete?? Then what?

I imagine that virtual reality could be used to keep us busy somewhat, if the real world just didn't offer enough things to do. Even if discovery does take just a day or so, we could just move onto the next thing. It just depends on how much there is to know out there, which I suspect is a lot.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Zachemc2

Zachemc2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
International law would be horrible because the majority of people in a certain area wouldn't support it. That's why there's different countries to suit different tastes in policy.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationUK
It's possible that, providing globalization and westernization of world culture continue as smoothly as they've done since the 1950s, the secular/developed countries of the world could form a federal government.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: politics, government, hegemony, global

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users