Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Global Hegemony

politics government hegemony global

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Zachemc2

Zachemc2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

The developed countries of the world could form a federal government.

The United States and Europe under the same government? No offense, but come on.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationUK
That's no different than someone in 1945 saying 'Britain and France under the same government, oh come on'

Zachemc2

Zachemc2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

That's no different than someone in 1945 saying 'Britain and France under the same government, oh come on'

It's just that the EU and the US have really different ideas on how to run a government. It'd be political warfare.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationUK

It's just that the EU and the US have really different ideas on how to run a government. It'd be political warfare.

Bet everyone in the 1930s laughed about the European countries having a single government, well, everyone except Hitler.

80 years on it's sort of happened.

Zachemc2

Zachemc2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Bet everyone in the 1930s laughed about the European countries having a single government, well, everyone except Hitler.

80 years on it's sort of happened.

In the EU, there is this thing called "equality". They're trying to make everyone the same, like "one size fits all". In the US, most people believe that what you earn should not be given to someone who does nothing.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationUK
You're confusing the EU with North Korea.

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

They're trying to make everyone the same, like "one size fits all".

This is nonsense, sorry- absolute and utter lies.

In the US, most people believe that what you earn should not be given to someone who does nothing.

Many people believe the same here too.

~Jon

Zachemc2

Zachemc2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Isn't redistribution of wealth exactly that?

Zachemc2

Zachemc2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

They're trying to make everyone the same, like "one size fits all".

This is nonsense, sorry- absolute and utter lies.

In the US, most people believe that what you earn should not be given to someone who does nothing.

Many people believe the same here too.

I'm referring to the government.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationUK

No, the EU is a capitalist trade union. North Korea is a collectivization prison.

Zachemc2

Zachemc2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

No, the EU is a capitalist trade union. North Korea is a collectivization prison.

Capitalist with a large welfare state, however. Which is redistribution of wealth.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam

International law would be horrible because the majority of people in a certain area wouldn't support it. That's why there's different countries to suit different tastes in policy.

This is the reason I think a world government would happen in stages, if one ever formed.

It would start with larger and larger political and economic unions, mainly between countries with similar policies (African Union, European Union, OPEC, Union of South American Nations, Asia-Pacific Trade Agreement), along with various world-wide organizations (UN, World Trade Organization, International Criminal Court).

From there, certain countries would establish even closer ties, some even becoming a single sovereign state (East African Federation). Existing organizations would be improving themselves as well (African Monetary Union).

Over time, as various types of unions solidified between similar nations, these groups would be improving relationships with each other. I think it's obvious that globalization isn't going to stop. While this won't turn the whole world into one giant homogeneous melting pot, it could help to eliminate some of the more serious differences between nations. I also think democracy and representation will become more common, though not global by any means.

I think looking at it now, a world government is extremely unlikely, but decades from now? The world will be a very different place. Obviously unions will break up or fail, but I think we'll see more alliances formed than destroyed. Barriers have been broken in then past, I mean, look at China.

I wouldn't say a world government is inevitable, I just think a lot can change throughout this century. Plus, that's ignoring all the AI stuff, so that could either help or hinder.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Give it up, really. Europe isn't a communist state. You bang on about 'redistribution of wealth' as if that's the sole aim of governments over here. You really need to accept that there is a difference between lazy work shy leeches and people who are genuinely caught in the poverty trap, stuck in difficult cycles that they are desperate to get out of but prevented from doing so by an economy that is stacked against them coupled with a lack of available jobs- this is not a new thing, and it affects tens of millions of people in our 'first world' countries- yours included. Social programmes are not 'evil' - standing by watching people suffer when you have plenty to spare certainly seems to be though. Do you genuinely believe these people only have themselves to blame?

~Jon

Zachemc2

Zachemc2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Give it up, really. Europe isn't a communist state. You bang on about 'redistribution of wealth' as if that's the sole aim of governments over here. You really need to accept that there is a difference between lazy work shy leeches and people who are genuinely caught in the poverty trap, stuck in difficult cycles that they are desperate to get out of but prevented from doing so by an economy that is stacked against them coupled with a lack of available jobs- this is not a new thing, and it affects tens of millions of people in our 'first world' countries- yours included. Social programmes are not 'evil' - standing by watching people suffer when you have plenty to spare certainly seems to be though. Do you genuinely believe these people only have themselves to blame?

I never said the EU was communist. Also, we don't have plenty to spare. We're hiking up massive deficits like everyone's a devoted Keynesian. What ever happened to personal responsibility and personal liberty? Newt Gingrich said in the debates last night that if there has to be unemployment benefits, don't just have the recipients sit around and do nothing. Have like a business training program.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationUK
Business training program? Ooh sounds expensive.

Zachemc2

Zachemc2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Would you want them to sit and do nothing or make them more productive?

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationUK

Yeah, I'll tax you through the arse to fund it though.

Zachemc2

Zachemc2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Yeah, I'll tax you through the arse to fund it though.

It's better spent tax dollars than welfare or Obamacare. Also, once the economy improves, these people will be even more productive, meaning that they'll make more money.

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

I never said the EU was communist.

Do you understand what implication is? Because through your posting you keep implying that Europe is almost an alien world in comparison to the United States on a political and economic level.

Also, we don't have plenty to spare. .

Perhaps you misunderstood the point I was making, I wasn't talking about the nation per se, but about the rich.

What ever happened to personal responsibility and personal liberty?

So you do believe they only have themselves to blame?

Newt Gingrich said in the debates last night that if there has to be unemployment benefits, don't just have the recipients sit around and do nothing. Have like a business training program.

Training to do what, take jobs that don't exist? Believe me, I agree that people shouldn't be sat around doing nothing, and the majority of people claiming unemployment benefits are probably desperately seeking work, because living on that kind of money is not a good life for anyone.

~Jon

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationUK
Alot of people could work for their benefits. Collecting litter, planting trees ect...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: politics, government, hegemony, global

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users