Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Would this be an example of virtual reality?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

peterk1995

peterk1995

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hey guys I'm new to the forums and have been following this site for a while and often had myself thinking about virtual reality.

So today I was watching Lord of the rings and was thinking about how awesome it would be to live in that time with those creatures and everything and actually fight those orcs and fight alongside elves and stuff. So I was wondering if in a virtual reality stimulator that world would be real with everything to scale to the people to orcs and everything. Each having personalities and dynamic scripts. So if I were to ask Aragorn whats the plan or whats up, or how is your day, or even tell him off (aha) I will get a response as if that character were real? 

DJKiran

DJKiran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUK

As AI improves and the Oculus Rift undergoes improvements and interations, I am sure we will eventually get to that stage

Innovation and Change are the most important things in life

The Future is worth waiting for..... - Kiran Appiah 2011

Lucid

Lucid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Well, considering you can replicate any reality in the virtual world, the Lord of the Rings realm is a definite option. However, this can also apply for any other work of fiction, not only including movies. Remember, there are no limitations to what is possible in virtual reality. The Lord of the Rings realm is merely a sample of the virtual worlds potential.

peterk1995

peterk1995

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

when do you think this technology will be available. For me to have a dynamic conversation with one of these characters. Also if I ask Gimili lets just say; where he is from will I get a legit answer that is with the lore and as if the character is real? Or a programmed response.

Lucid

Lucid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

The virtual reality I'm talking about is as convincing as our current reality. The people will have their own unique thoughts and emotions, just like you and I. Even though you'll be in a computer, nothing will change in terms of what you experience. The people you talk to are just as real as you are. And in terms of lore they will respond based on what they know. If you change what they know then they will respond accordingly.

When will this technology come be available? I'm not sure. I'm guessing some time this century. Once the singularity occurs it might come sooner then later, and it's suspected to happen around 2045.

peterk1995

peterk1995

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

^ That is awesome

eldigato

eldigato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

First off, you'd need advanced AI that doesn't have any bugs. I know someone out there's going to bring up cleverbot, but cleverbot is stupid, probably because the guy who programmed it makes it learn based on what people say to it

There'd need to be a field of research in the programming department which would continuously program branches of thought and string it together in a way which would make it feel realistic. It'd take a few million total combinations perfectly wired to reach the right variable to bring up the dialogue that it'd probably take years upon years of constant work to get it set up

Secondly, assuming that's out of the way, you have a very interactive world based on the lord of the rings. I'm going to assume it has a total area of 4000km squared at the least (nowhere near as large as the actual lotr world, but plenty of space) and the world will have relatively realistic graphics (what we'll see in the 10th gaming gen or later), with at least 32x ani

that right there won't be available for at least a few decades.

Then factor in bugs. You have trillions upon trillions of bytes of data, and tens of thousands of scripts running all the time, and you're going to run into bugs. So, one moment you're hanging out with frodo, and then a bug happens which causes him to turn hostile and attack you

Now, what if the VR can stimulate your brain and allow you to feel? that's another thing to factor into the computation power. Of course, when VR can do this, there will probably be a safety option to prevent pain, but what about hackers? And while you're in the game, how do you leave it? (assuming you're almost entirely in the game) what if you can't, and when you try to shut down the simulation, you're unable to? 

Lucid

Lucid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
"First off, you'd need advanced AI that doesn't have any bugs." For bugs to occur, your virtual world would have to be flawed. And since we're talking about technology beyond the singularity you can assume the accuracy and speed of said new technology will only increase. If so, then why say there will be bugs? Since computers will be programming the virtual world, cant you assume that it will be next to flawless? Even so, it would take the computer of that magnitude seconds to find problems in whatever code they program in, and fix it accordingly. Even if they don't, they're still increasing in processing speed, and their software is constantly updating. If there was a problem in code then it would be found relatively soon.

"There'd need to be a field of research in the programming department..." There wont be a need to do any sort of research on programming once we can develop AI that can execute commands based on what we ask. 

"that right there won't be available for at least a few decades." Yes, this technology wont be available for a while. That's why I'm saying that this is happening beyond the singularity.

"what if the VR can stimulate your brain and allow you to feel?"  Well, in this situation I'm assuming that your brain is already inside the computer. This means you're nothing more then a software program. The moment you're in the computer you can do anything you want with your mind, much more then just allowing you to feel things in the virtual world. 

"when VR can do this, there will probably be a safety option to prevent pain, but what about hackers?" The only hackers you're going to be facing with are hackers that directly connect to your computer. If you're isolated in outer space, and certain precautions are taken to disable physical access to your computer, then real world hackers aren't an issue. Along with virtual world hackers, no one is going to be hacking you in your own computer. They'll have to develop the ability to comprehend what's happening in your computer and manipulate it. Remember, you wont be connected to anything in the outside world, including the internet, so hackers wont have any remote access to your computer. Also, If you're so scared of pain and hackers who might abuse it, then why not change your opinion about it once you're in the computer? You can get positive emotions from feeling pain if you really wanted to.

"And while you're in the game, how do you leave it?" Now, methods to leave the virtual world can be quite different. For one, you could know you're in a virtual world while you're in it. So you can decide at any moment when you want to leave. You could have some method that constantly reminds you every x minutes that you're in a virtual world. If you decide not to leave, your computer can delete the memory of it reminding you so you wont break immersion with the virtual world. You could have another thought process that is outside of the virtual world that decides for you to leave or not using your memory, but in this case what would be the point of leaving in the first place when you can create more thought processes and enter different virtual worlds using the same memory.

What if you cant leave the virtual world? Well, if that's the case, then that's the case. There is no moving around that. However you're not going to be trapped for all eternity. You still have all of your memory in your computer, which isn't attached to anything. So booting up a saved file of your conscious to host your memory is an option. But being trapped in a virtual world you're hosting isn't exactly the easiest thing. I don't see how you can be trapped in something that you have full control over. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users