Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,068 posts
  • LocationLondon

Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ' Biblical scholars will be appearing at the 'Covert Messiah' Conference at Conway Hall in London on the 19th of October to present this controversial discovery to the British public. http://www.prweb.com...web11201273.htm

• WithoutCoincidence likes this

xQd

xQd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRomania

I bet those christians will be pissed...

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

I know I should be surprised but... I'm really not. Maybe a little; always thought that Jesus was perhaps the invention of the religion and just had (I am a terrible person) a bit of a God Complex. Still, not big surprise. Love the picture they have with the article, though!

Watch how little this does to the faith of Christians.

Edited by WithoutCoincidence, 10 October 2013 - 10:44 AM.

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
Im sceptical and disappointed.
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Jesus is also a figure in Islam. That would be pretty shaking for some Muslims to find out that it had characters borrowed from Christianity.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

They won't buy it. :/

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

rtardx

rtardx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

This is either true or this finally one of the prophecies foretold in the bible become true. If christians continue to believe in jesus regardless of the obvious evidence against his existence then eventually they'll be seen as a threat to the human gene pool and exterminated. I have a friend who's a strong catholic I wander how he'll react when i show him this.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

I am an agnostic, but this somehow seems to be too good to be true, considering that just several days ago this one devout Christian Facebook friend cliamed that the historical evidence in favor of Jesus's resurrection is extremely solid. For the record, this guy (Joseph Atwill) apparently already wrote a book about this in 2005 (eight years ago) -- https://en.wikipedia...nspiracy_theory.

That said, I am extremely skeptical that Jesus's resurrection actually occurred (though I obviously don't know for sure, since I wasn't there back then), but I do think that we need to be extremely careful before accepting any kinds of huge claims like the one which Mr. Atwill presents.

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

What twaddle.

Atwill's most intriguing discovery came to him while he was studying "Wars of the Jews"

In a dream?

How could this go unnoticed in the most scrutinised books of all time? "Many of the parallels are conceptual or poetic, so they aren't all immediately obvious. After all, the authors did not want the average believer to see what they were doing, but they did want the alert reader to see it.

Oh I see...a secret conspiracy, of course. How academic.

Is this the beginning of the end of Christianity? "Probably not," grants Atwill, "but what my work has done is give permission to many of those ready to leave the religion to make a clean break. We've got the evidence now to show exactly where the story of Jesus came from. Although Christianity can be a comfort to some, it can also be very damaging and repressive, an insidious form of mind control that has led to blind acceptance of serfdom, poverty, and war throughout history. To this day, especially in the United States, it is used to create support for war in the Middle East."

a shining example of unbiased scholarship. No agenda there.  :lol:

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,976 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Cognitive dissonance will ensue.

Believers will claim the Anti-Christ is orchestrating this scheme to discredit Jesus Christ...

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

Cognitive dissonance will ensue.

Believers will claim the Anti-Christ is orchestrating this scheme to discredit Jesus Christ...

As I wrote before, I would be more careful about accepting his so-called research as solid proof of Jesus Christ's non-existence just yet.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'm atheistic/pantheistic but this story does not give enough "evidence" to make this claim. I also have a major question to this scholar, if the Roman empire was trying to craft a state religion than why over several hundred years did it then persecute the state religion it was trying to create, what would be the justification for this? Secondly, the majority of the Bible is actually based on true historical events, they just have been written in a way as to promote the faith, or to explain something that was not understood by the people of the time. One of the best examples of this was the Moses parting the sea so the Jews could escape the Egyptians, it has been argued that this could actually be due to a mixture of the winds and geography of the seas of the area being able to create such an effect, while people of the day would've seen it as an act of god.

Edited by MarcZ, 10 October 2013 - 06:46 PM.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

Are other Myths stitched to the surface of christianity to lend it mystical significance? yup.

Um... well crap, I usually like to use three or more examples of valid points before saying that the tapestry made by putting them together is not nessecarily true but one really seems the only thing he has to go on.

Even if we take the theory that Christ was an attempt by Rome to get the right kind of Messiah to get the whole Messiah business out of the way, they would not have thought of it as creating a new religion. Christ was a Jew, his religious principles were Jewish. The Role of Messiah was to unite and establish order amongst the Jews again, like the days of Solomon. Early christians considered themselves Jews. It wasn't until Saul converted that Non-Jewish peoples were converted to any appreciable level.

Firstly lets get this out of the way. The fact that it's plumped out with myths from other sources does not mean there wasn't an actual Rabbi to attach them to.

Secondly even if we accept that the romans might have initiated a planned right kind of Messiah, that does not mean the one who resulted could not be the actual Messiah.

I can think of no less than three scenarios for all the above being true and still have it be a reinforcement of Christian mythological history and actual historic past.

• Italian Ufo likes this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

CyberJosh

CyberJosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

As atheistic as I am, and as delighted as I would be if this were true, I firmly believe that this article should be regarded with the utmost scepticism.

• Italian Ufo, WithoutCoincidence and Futurist like this

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

Jesus really existed if they didn't manipulate old archives. He appears in a Roman census and authors like Tacitus talk about him.

Whether if is life was genuine like it is represented in the Gospel that it can be discussed.

Smeargle

Smeargle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationLuckiest city in the UK

I find this incredibly difficult to believe.

• Troodon and Outlook like this

ARADIA: i think i mostly want to see what happens when this whole place breaks apart

rtardx

rtardx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

History will never forget about the man that turned water into wine.

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 9,215 posts

Jesus is also a figure in Islam. That would be pretty shaking for some Muslims to find out that it had characters borrowed from Christianity.

I have not opened the link yet, but on the issue of Jesus I would beg to differ.  After fininshing a once through of the Bible, I begin reading the Quran. A basic thesis in the Quran was precisely that the divinity of Christ was an artifact of the the writings of one or two of the apostles.  Personally, I find Jesus to be a some what garbled version of Buddha. Their is a lot of room for science to figure it all out, but I do strongly believe in the idea of peak religious experience.  Something a lot of my fellow non-believers overlook or otherwise fail to understand. 

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,976 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Future descendents, being more scientific-minded than we are now, will debunk this statement without a second's notice.

• WithoutCoincidence likes this
What are you without the sum of your parts?

UFG

UFG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Future descendents, being more scientific-minded than we are now, will debunk this statement without a second's notice.

So, they'll know about him too then. Statement supported!

• caltrek likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users