Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Death in the 21st century and beyond

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

José Andrade

José Andrade

Waiting for Immortality and FIVR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationPortugal

The normal to Humans has been dying for millions of years. Be it by diseases, accidents or old age and the search for immortality has been recorded since thousands of years ago. We have records of pharaohs, alchemists, emperors  trying to find a way to immortality. Stories like the fountain of youth and the philosophers stone are told by books, movies and from tongue to tongue. The desire to live forever is in our nature as an intelligent race.

Now, after thousands of years trying to find it we are in 2013 and immorality may be as close as a few decades away. Now with all this in mind, how weird is to die in this century? It's like dying in the beach in my opinion.

It's ridiculous, we are so close to what thousands, millions of people desired for so long and it can all go to waste because of something "as little" as a cancer or a car accident because of some douche bag.

I don't know about you guys but if i die, in my final moments i will feel bad as f***! Even our grandparents or parents for those a bit older. You won't be able to spend the eternity with theme because of what? 50, 60 years of technological development? It's a real shame.

In the worst case scenario even us may not make it because of something like 10 or 20 years.

Also, death will be something of the past in 2150(just going safe) and beyond for sure. At least it will be rare. How will the future generations who never experienced the death of loved ones or felt the fear of it will look at us? How will they look at graveyards?

"In this world, a single blade can take you anywhere you want to go. It's a virtual world, but i still feel more alive here than i do in the real one." Kirito - Sword Art Online

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I could care less if/when I die.

I try my hardest to get what I want done today.  If I die I know the only ones who care will be those alive, and eventually I will be forgotten (rather quickly I am an introverted nobody).  I turn into an animate object at death and will be incapable of thinking how much it sucks.

So my last thoughts will be who cares.  Maybe regret for not doing the things I want.  I would hate to have regrets.. so I try and do everything I want to do (within reason of course).

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Troodon

Troodon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationUnited States
Well, part of my religious beliefs is that there is some kind of afterlife after death. So I'm not too scared of death. I would be very pissed off, however, if I died too young, or before I was able to accomplish anything in life.

DallasCowboysFan

DallasCowboysFan

Life is Good

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, Alaska, in the land of NSA monitoring

My main fear in life is that when I die, I'm just a blip, maybe, if I'm lucky, a story on the news. We're always hearing about people dying of disease, disaster, and violence whether it be across the world or in our city, and we never care. You don't their names, let alone their face. They're just dead, and the world lunges forward without them. Its so depressing to me, and I think that's my biggest fear.

You also will never experience all the exciting things going to happen in the world! Not to mention the whole concept of "dying" is not appealing to me in general, believe it or not! :p I just hope I die quick enough not to care!

That was probably the deepest thing I've ever wrote, but bottom line, death=sucks, and I hope I'm 120 or have made some sort of impact or done the things I've always wanted before it gets me!

"The best way to predict the future, is to create it."

For those not in the know, the Dallas Cowboys are an American Football team, and they are terrible. But I must stay strong.

Neil Degrasse Tyson is God.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,320 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

As you said before, Jose A., people will still die due to accidents, refusing anti-aging treatments, suicides, et cetera. Thus, we would still relate to death just like we always did, except for the fact that we would feel superior to it for as long as we continued to remain lucky (in terms of avoiding these things which I mentioned).

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,320 posts

Well, part of my religious beliefs is that there is some kind of afterlife after death. So I'm not too scared of death.

Not trying to be offensive here, but it might be a good idea for you to have a back-up plan in regards to this just in case things don't work out as planned.

Troodon

Troodon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Well, part of my religious beliefs is that there is some kind of afterlife after death. So I'm not too scared of death.

Not trying to be offensive here, but it might be a good idea for you to have a back-up plan in regards to this just in case things don't work out as planned.
Like what? Life extension (via anti-aging technology, cryogenic preservation, and/or mind uploading)?

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,320 posts

Like what? Life extension (via anti-aging technology, cryogenic preservation, and/or mind uploading)?

I was thinking of cryogenic preservation (plan it in advance, and if anti-aging technology becomes available for you in time, then you can call off your cryogenic preservation plans).

Troodon

Troodon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I was thinking of cryogenic preservation (plan it in advance, and if anti-aging technology becomes available for you in time, then you can call off your cryogenic preservation plans).
Oh, I see. BTW, how exactly would anti-aging technology work? I don't get how technology would be able to stop aging.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,764 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
Seriously, Mother Meki, I pose this same question! "The further into the future we go, the more dying sucks." @Trodoon, a variety of ways. We only age because of genetic defects, so if you could stop those, that's one way. Nanite level surgery to restore a youthful appearance is a second way. Also, if you keep muscles and bones young, you'll have youthful movement. After that, you just need to preserve your nervous system. Theoretically, there's no limit to how young you can become, but 20-35 is the optimal range.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday

The normal to Humans has been dying for millions of years. Be it by diseases, accidents or old age and the search for immortality has been recorded since thousands of years ago. We have records of pharaohs, alchemists, emperors  trying to find a way to immortality. Stories like the fountain of youth and the philosophers stone are told by books, movies and from tongue to tongue. The desire to live forever is in our nature as an intelligent race.

Now, after thousands of years trying to find it we are in 2013 and immorality may be as close as a few decades away. Now with all this in mind, how weird is to die in this century? It's like dying in the beach in my opinion.

It's ridiculous, we are so close to what thousands, millions of people desired for so long and it can all go to waste because of something "as little" as a cancer or a car accident because of some douche bag.

I don't know about you guys but if i die, in my final moments i will feel bad as f***! Even our grandparents or parents for those a bit older. You won't be able to spend the eternity with theme because of what? 50, 60 years of technological development? It's a real shame.

In the worst case scenario even us may not make it because of something like 10 or 20 years.

Also, death will be something of the past in 2150(just going safe) and beyond for sure. At least it will be rare. How will the future generations who never experienced the death of loved ones or felt the fear of it will look at us? How will they look at graveyards?

[color=#ee82ee;][font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"]You forgot that also million people have died due to wars and homicides...[/color][/font]

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 7,476 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Oh, I see. BTW, how exactly would anti-aging technology work? I don't get how technology would be able to stop aging.

Read Ending Aging by Aubrey de Grey.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

rtardx

rtardx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

I'm simply not meant to die yet. I'm way too interesting die.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I could care less if/when I die.

I try my hardest to get what I want done today.  If I die I know the only ones who care will be those alive, and eventually I will be forgotten (rather quickly I am an introverted nobody).  I turn into an animate object at death and will be incapable of thinking how much it sucks.

So my last thoughts will be who cares.  Maybe regret for not doing the things I want.  I would hate to have regrets.. so I try and do everything I want to do (within reason of course).

I agree with you. lately I look more at the present than at the future.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 7,476 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

All that negative rumination will mostly go away if all of us get some form of basic income guarantee (or our basic necessities are met for free). Then, we will live the way we really want to.

And having a greatly extended lifespan will be a cherry on the top. :)

What are you without the sum of your parts?

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

I could care less

David Mitchell has a bone to pick with you:

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States

The internet is your friend

http://en.wikipedia..../Life_extension

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Nanomedicine

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Gene_therapy

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Maybe it has something to do with my age (me being 14 years old), but i do not want to die. It is in my belief that when i die, i will just be a rotting carcass, or a body that doesn't work and due to this i would live life to it's fullest extent. I feel very lucky to be living young in an era of technological advance and less possible deaths (until a nuclear war breaks through). Personally my whole mortal life is aimed on becoming someone important and becoming immortal. I am very scared of death because i am still young and will really be pissed at my last few seconds alive if i were to die at this age but i am also very scared if some of my loved ones were to die, it would again be less scary as i grow old but i hate to lose someone whom i have grown close with (like my momma :girldevil: ). I guess it won't be a problem for me to lose someone when i can put there brain into a robotic body.  

Can't wait for the singularity to happen. :sungum:

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Maybe it has something to do with my age (me being 14 years old), but i do not want to die. It is in my belief that when i die, i will just be a rotting carcass, or a body that doesn't work and due to this i would live life to it's fullest extent. I feel very lucky to be living young in an era of technological advance and less possible deaths (until a nuclear war breaks through). Personally my whole mortal life is aimed on becoming someone important and becoming immortal. I am very scared of death because i am still young and will really be pissed at my last few seconds alive if i were to die at this age but i am also very scared if some of my loved ones were to die, it would again be less scary as i grow old but i hate to lose someone whom i have grown close with (like my momma :girldevil: ). I guess it won't be a problem for me to lose someone when i can put there brain into a robotic body.  

Can't wait for the singularity to happen. :sungum:

Indeed exciting times ahead :) 

Immorality is impossible - that would imply you cannot die at all. Radical life extension is possible, however you can still die from accidents, and diseases ( luckily many of them are being/will be eradicated ) 

I don't think a nuclear war is likely, as the trend as far as nuclear weapons is to decommission them. In my opinion, nationstates mostly just want nuclear weapons as symbols of power - I don't think anyone want's a nuclear war, or for millions of people to die.. ( possibly extremist groups want that, that is the biggest concern imo )

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
Death is inevitable, even if you manage to live for hundreds of years, you will eventually die. #acceptance
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users