Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

When will humans live forever?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: When will humans live forever (22 member(s) have cast votes)

When will humans live forever?

1. 2050 > (3 votes [13.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

2. 2050-2060 (5 votes [22.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

3. 2060-2070 (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

4. 2070-2080 (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

5. 2080-2090 (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

6. 2090-2100 (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

7. 2100-2150 (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

8. 2150-2200 (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

9. 2200-2300 (2 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

10. 2300-2500 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

11. 2500-3000 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

12. 3000 < (2 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

13. Never (4 votes [18.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
You can live forever, but you can't say that you "have lived forever" because living forever is something that can never come to an end. Infinity is a difficult concept to get your head round.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,476 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

What is the difference between the three - forever, eternal, and infinity?

What are you without the sum of your parts?

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Forever is a never-ending span of time. Eternal is something that lasts forever. Infinity is anything that has no limits.

WithoutCoincidence

WithoutCoincidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationSomewhere above Zero Latitude.

So forever is an infinite span of time, and eternal is something that lasts forever, aka, an infinite span of time. Gotcha. 

The universe has gone from unimaginable, featureless heat to complexity and it will return in time to unimaginable, featureless cold.

-Chris Impey, How It Ends

Troodon

Troodon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationUnited States

There is an enormous difference between living "forever" and living for a "really, really long time". This is another reason I believe we will never see a human, or any entity for that matter, live forever. Even the universe has its demise. On top of that, the amount of information needed to store an eternity's worth of data is, in fact, infinite. So, even if someone miraculously manages to outlive the universe, they would be an entirely different person. Their identity would change so drastically over time causes them to really be more of a near-sentient computer program than a conscious being. Data would need to be erased to make room for an infinite amount more of information. A good restatement of this question would be, "when should humans become biologically immortal?" or "when, if possible, should humans become capable of transferring themselves to a digital state without destroying their original consciousness?" The answer to both of these questions, with current technological trends, should be sometime in the next two centuries. The answer to both of these questions weighted in with political, economic, social, AND technological trends would point more towards a time in the next three or four centuries.

I agree with you that there is a huge difference between living forever and simply living for a really, really long time. I do think that humans will eventually be able to live for millions -- maybe even billions -- of years. However, no human will ever be able to live forever. Nothing lasts forever. But I do think that your prediction of it happening within the next 3 to 4 centuries is very pessimistic, though. I would say sometime in the mid-22nd century (2150s–2170s).

Frizz

Frizz

fey pansexual alcoholic non-human

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow
I selected 2200-2300, it may happen sooner, it may not.
“Give me time and I’ll give you a revolution.”
- Alexander McQueen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users