Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What techologies weren't predicted in the 60's and 70's for today?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

What techologies weren't predicted in the 60's and 70's for today?

I believe anything to do with quantum

-Teleportation of information

-Quantum computers

superexistence

superexistence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Stem Cells

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts
  • LocationCanada

Social Media

IzzyIngleby

IzzyIngleby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

Star Trek predicted teleportation.

Edit: Although obviously we haven't acheived that in any useful way asof yet.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,467 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Star Trek predicted teleportation.

But not the quantum entanglement part to make teleportation work at all... although it was already predicted a few decades earlier by the Einstein, Podolsky, Rosen paradox.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
What the Internet turned into

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

They probably thought the internet was just a government technology no one will use

guess they were wrong :keeporder:

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,745 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

I think quantum tech was predicted since before the '70s; just not actually used in tech.

Social media? Try smart phones. HD TV. Self driving cars. The modern Internet. Video games? Eh... well they were in the 1.2G era, but I don't think 3D gaming was predicted. At least, 3D gaming in its current capabilities. 

The computer mouse. I assure you, no one predicted the computer mouse.  Or the TV remote.

The Internet being so pervasive is probably a good one, on top of the modern Internet.

GPS. People in the '60s, from what I heard, thought that satellite communication was something  best left for the military. Even the military probably hadn't thought of it at the time.

Cloaking devices, which we've had for almost a decade but haven't reached the consumer market as of yet.  

I'd say that there's a lot of things people in the '60s and '70s got wrong (walkie talkies? Try a Droid or an iPhone 5, billions of times more powerful than any computer that existed in '66), a lot of stuff they never thought of, and even more than that are things they typically assumed with sci-fi (light sabers came from this era; though this might be moving into "Proven True" territory based on recent news) that are obviously impossible with current tech and possibly even future tech (anti-gravity propulsion? Well define "anti-gravity" because if you cancel gravity in any spot, you destroy the planet)

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I think social media was kind of predicted, but it came way sooner than people back then thought it would. Star Trek is set in the 23rd century, isn't it?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,745 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

I think social media was kind of predicted, but it came way sooner than people back then thought it would. Star Trek is set in the 23rd century, isn't it?

Well there were those vacuum tube communication ideas from the '30s. 

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users