Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

First Contact

alien contact first contact

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

KingstonDon

KingstonDon

The Rationalist Monk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationKortrijk, Belgium
Over the years,

many movies & novels have dedicated their attention to theories and possibilities of what coould happen when the human race first makes contact with an intelligent alien race.

There have been both positive & negative views on this, as far as certain people discouraging SETI from broadcasting our location to the known universe in fear of those who would not come in peace ...

My personal thoughts about it is that in the not-too-distant future if/when we meet other intelligent lifeforms we would have a 50/50 chance of it being hostile or friendly when thinking about it from an alien perspective .

7+ Billion potential workforce
A habitable planet (not exactly abundant in our galaxy)
A violent race
(etc)

against

A race of great potential
Potential trade
Maybe a mutual opportunity to just generally learn from each other
(etc)

How do you guys think about it?

All I do know is that if it'd come to a hostile encounter, we could see the human race rally and unite like never before in our bid to combat our common enemy ...

a union i'd always wanted to see,but not in that situation ^^

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
They'd have no real reason to come here actually. No resources would be worth trip, and if they were, lighter celestial bodies would be better source - asteroids for metals, europa, gas giants for helium-3 for wate etc. We have nothing they'd want trade. When was last time you wanted resources, slaves or work of art from ants or amoebas? One thing you have to keep in mind is that, space-travelling race will be incomprehensibly more advanced than we. Unless they would be religious fanatics or galactic assholes, there's no reason to bother with puny humans. And both possibilities seem unlikely for Type I or Type II civilisation.
  • KingstonDon likes this
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

KingstonDon

KingstonDon

The Rationalist Monk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationKortrijk, Belgium

They'd have no real reason to come here actually. No resources would be worth trip, and if they were, lighter celestial bodies would be better source - asteroids for metals, europa, gas giants for helium-3 for wate etc. We have nothing they'd want trade. When was last time you wanted resources, slaves or work of art from ants or amoebas?

One thing you have to keep in mind is that, space-travelling race will be incomprehensibly more advanced than we. Unless they would be religious fanatics or galactic assholes, there's no reason to bother with puny humans. And both possibilities seem unlikely for Type I or Type II civilisation.

And what if we run into them after we've achieved our own inter-stellar/galactic travel?

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
I don't see why they have to "incomprehensibly more advanced" than us. Just because our technologies and discoveries have progressed in this way, doesn't mean other civilisations would progress the exact same way. It's possible we could be almost as advanced in some fields and they just happened to be slightly more advanced in propulsion technology. And this claim that they wouldn't bother us because there's nothing worthwhile for them is very strange. You seem to be assuming they are necessarily a completely logical race who only do things for direct practical benefit. What's to say they're not just curious or friendly (in whatever the alien sense of friendly is), or even just bored. And even that is only thinking of human characteristics that they could possible have. There could be any number of reasons we can't imagine because our minds can only use humans for an analogy. Also, if life is as rare as it sometimes seems to be in the galaxy, then maybe we would be one of the first species they had discovered outside their own planet. If they had the mental desires and abilities to go into space in the first place, it seems to follow that it's likely they would also have the desire to discover and understand new lifeforms. 100,000 years of being in space in no way implies they have to be emotionless efficient machines.

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
There is plenty of different alien races we could encounter already dreamt up from Hollywood. Klingons, Vulcans, Vs, the Borg, Skitters (falling skies), the observers from Fringe and countless others from movies TV shows and not to mention the different races from Star Wars and Star Trek. Then if you study the paranormal and UFO mythology there is a whole bunch more: the greys and the reptilians. There is also talk of a highly intelligent and tall blond hair and blue eyes humanoid race which may be considered the Angeles of Biblical Days. Speaking of which Angels, Demons, God, the Devil, and all other paranormal/ mythological creatures can be linked to aliens If you believe and study such stories. It is also possible that some type of alien consciousness created the universe, if you go by the Big Bang Theory I personally like a little mix of V and Star Trek when I think of first contact.
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Shimmy, advancement is exponential. And odds that two diffrent races will be at same state of advencement are incredibly low. Also way our technologies and discoveries have emerged is not random. Yes there may be some fluctuations, but it's not like without Newton noone would come up with this. Or that without Einstein there would be no special and general relativity. No aliens will come up with radio before wheel, or with atomic reactors before steam power. Biggest diffrences I can imagine would be related to their world. Maybe their sun disrupts electronic devices, that would hinder them for some time. Or maybe they don't have fossil fuels. Still after some level of advancement this makes no diffrence. There's no way we could stand up in any way, today, to any species that's capable of regular insterstellar travel. And yeah I believe that species on such level of advancement will act logically. More over - did anyone travel to new world in XVI century for non-logical reasons? No it was calculated effort. And I believe that for space-faring aliens Earth has no appeal. Resources can be found elswhere, slaves can be mechanical... and so on. Aliens can be friendly, we're friendly with ants, but we don't have conversations, we don't invite them to United Nations.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
I understand how technology is built on previous technology, but you also assume that there are no limits to technology, and it will continue to advance exponentially for thousands of years. Once a species has perfect computers capable of anything they could require them to do, some kind of very efficient propulsion system and essential immortality, what makes you think they would change much after that? It's likely they would want to keep a sense of who they are, as I imagine most humans would if we reach this level of advancement. And I maintain the belief that any civilisation that goes through all this advancement and progress will keep a desire to explore and research new things long into their space faring age. This comparison with ants that people often use just seems somewhat silly to me. I think it would more likely be like us finding a culture at the ancient roman or egyptian level of technology at worst, although naturally they would be a different species so we can assume communication would initially be more difficult at first.

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

And yeah I believe that species on such level of advancement will act logically. More over - did anyone travel to new world in XVI century for non-logical reasons? No it was calculated effort. And I believe that for space-faring aliens Earth has no appeal. Resources can be found elswhere, slaves can be mechanical... and so on.
Aliens can be friendly, we're friendly with ants, but we don't have conversations, we don't invite them to United Nations.

What if Earth is right in the way of an interstellar highway they’re trying to build? As we’d be indifferent to destroying an ant colony that got in the way of our expansion, so might they be of our planet since as you point out, it’s nothing special.

~Jon

Kynareth

Kynareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Well, In my opinion, if alien civilization wanted to destroy us they wouldn't even bother with first contact. They would just do something to kill us all from orbit in few minutes. We would barely notice that... If they are friendly they could give us a lot of advancement in very short time, but what's the point for doing this to us? At best they would just send some small invisible vehicles to observe us and entertain them.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Sounds like South Park episode :p

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
I seriously doubt there's a Type II or Type III civilization in our own galaxy. If there was, they would have already found us. Perhaps they already did and they ain't sayin' nothin'.
I'm a business man, that's all you need to know about me.

The False Hero

The False Hero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
What if they're not even in our galaxy? They could have already completely colonised their own without us even knowing.

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
If aliens entered our solar system, they would: - Strip the asteroid belt clean for resources, atom by atom. They could do this in a matter of hours, using nanobot swarms. - Siphon the hydrogen and helium of the gas giants until Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune do not exist. - Strip our Moon clear of resources, especially after the Helium-3. - Ignore Earth. They would have encountered thousands of habitable planets before, and our's is nothing special. However, ( assuming this race has only explored the Milky Way plus it's numerous satellite galaxies ) this race would probably never have encountered another intelligent race. They wouldn't see or hear us, as they probably don't operate on the crude wavelengths of communication we do. If they did know we exist, it would probably be a monumental event for both species. They would not go around killing us one by one for no reason, as depicted by Hollywood. On a side note, it is unlikely that an alien species would discover us, rather, their AIs and Von Neumann Probes would.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
I agree with most, except radio wavelenghts - we use those for a reason - they are relatively quiet, so if aliens do use radio to communicate (quite concievable) it would be on similar frequencies as we.

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

However, ( assuming this race has only explored the Milky Way plus it's numerous satellite galaxies ) this race would probably never have encountered another intelligent race. They wouldn't see or hear us, as they probably don't operate on the crude wavelengths of communication we do. If they did know we exist, it would probably be a monumental event for both species.

What? They would strip the moon for resources and not realise we exist? Any species capable of the stuff you just described would have no problem whatsoever figuring out there was intelligent life on our planet. If life is so rare like you say then i'm sure they would be keeping an eye out for it, and there's so many thing they could notice and see that would confirm there was intelligent life here. Crude wavelengths? I'm pretty sure any advanced civilisation would monitor the wavelengths of EM radiation from sources they encounter, and its somewhat easy to tell the difference between natural sources of EM and ones specially created for the purposes of intelligent beings. Your reasoning is insane.

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

I agree with most, except radio wavelenghts - we use those for a reason - they are relatively quiet, so if aliens do use radio to communicate (quite concievable) it would be on similar frequencies as we.

Skip to around five minutes in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR06j-_nGIE

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

What? They would strip the moon for resources and not realise we exist? Any species capable of the stuff you just described would have no problem whatsoever figuring out there was intelligent life on our planet. If life is so rare like you say then i'm sure they would be keeping an eye out for it, and there's so many thing they could notice and see that would confirm there was intelligent life here. Crude wavelengths? I'm pretty sure any advanced civilisation would monitor the wavelengths of EM radiation from sources they encounter, and its somewhat easy to tell the difference between natural sources of EM and ones specially created for the purposes of intelligent beings. Your reasoning is insane.

They would see thousands of habitable planets a day. From a distance, Earth displays no signs of civilization.
Posted Image

They probably wouldn't waste their time trying to pick up signals, after thousands of years of failure. I never said that life was rare, you totally put that in my mouth.

My reasoning is insane? Um, screw you.

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
Im sure a sufficiently advanced civvy would monitor all wavelengths, especially be individuals who are interesting in that kind of thing.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Skip to around five minutes in.

That's it? That's pretty shallow comment, especially for Kaku.
I'll repeat - radio waves are easy to transmit, modulate and receive. They contain least energy per photon, so that makes them efficient, but that's just minor bonus. More importantly frequencies closer to optical spectrum are scattered and absorbed by gas and dust between stars. Radio has best penetration. Also at lower frequencies center of Milky Way gives noise there, so best zone for EM communication is around ~1,000 MHz. At lower radio frequencies, radiation from high-energy electrons in the Milky Way contaminates the signal. At higher radio frequencies, there is a rising noise source due to the cosmic background radiation.

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
In my mind, if an alien species were to find us, it's probably because they were looking. If they weren't then the chances of stumbling on us from across the fathoms of spaces would be insanely unlikely. The percentage chance, although still remote, is likely to be much higher if they were actively seeking life, or at least something that this planet has that is a rarity in the universe. So why would they be looking? I can think of 3 primary reasons for them to look. Firstly, they are enlightened creatures looking to expand their knowledge of the universe, and are looking for other life. In which case they are likely to be peaceful, and would be a benefit to us (hopefully they'd quash religion at least). The second option is that they are looking to conquer, but that then leads to why? Why come across the deeps of space to attack a race that has barely made it into orbit? Either this race would need to be ultra-aggressive bordering on genocidal psychosis, or they know something that we don't about us and for some reason fear us. So that leaves option 3, colonisation. This for me is the most likely scenario, that the race is looking for places to settle upon, ones that already contain life. Whether this is because their home has been destroyed / rendered uninhabitable, or whether they are an expansionist race, the fact is that they would arrive, likely with superior technology (although maybe not in all areas) and find us here. So that begs the question, what do they do next? How desperate are they to find somewhere to live? And could we stop them if they decided that force was the only option to them? However, having said all this, it's quite likely that anything that we encounter is likely to have more than one agenda / mindset. To pigeon hole them into one category would likely be wrong. I could imagine an exploration race who, once they have found us, try to exert their way of life upon us, or the conquistadors who are actually here to enlighten us primitive natives, but using force. One last thing, the fact that we haven't had first contact yet (well, not publically anyway), does not mean that there is nothing out there. We have been around for only a fragment of history, and have only been broadcasting for a very little time. It won't be until we really get out there amongst the stars that I think we will make first contact. It's like sitting at home and waiting for Mrs Right to walk up to your day and knocking on your door, in ain't gonna happen bud.
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alien, contact, first contact

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users