Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

When do you think will major mental deseases be curable?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: When do you think will major mental deseases be curable? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these mental disorders do you think will be effectively curable earliest?

1. Pedophilia, Necrophilia (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Autism(all forms) (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

3. Bipolar disorder (1 votes [6.25%])

4. Phobias (11 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

5. Schizophrenia (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

6. Paranoia (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Other (1 votes [6.25%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

KomissarBojantchev

KomissarBojantchev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

For now none of these are fully curable and many of them are highly detrimental to society. When do you think, and  what medical advancements will be needed to cure them?

If cures are found then   criminals  diagnosed with them would probably enter  mental institutions and get lighter sentences since it wasn't entirely their conscious fault for their crimes.

I also hope cure is found ASAP since I'm a sufferer of asperger's syndrome :/

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
Out of that list, I recall hearing most about curing schizophrenia.

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin

From the list above, I definitely think phobias will be the first to go and the easiest to treat. You can treat (many) phobias successfully now.

Fear is actually a leftover from primordial times where fear and its consequent reactions were designed to save your ass. You can train your brain to lessen the impact phobias have on your everday life. Not all phobias require treatment, and some fears are definitely still called for today.

The rest might be much more tricky. I don't have any substantial knowledge on this topic, so I'm going to drop out now.

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,320 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

I guess phobias will be the first one and pedophilia will be the last one (since it might very well need large modifications in the brain for this to be done, perhaps sort of like with changing one's sexuality and/or gender identity).

I don't necessarily view necrophilia as a mental disease, though.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam

It depends on how complex the causes are. If it's a genetically-determined physical disorder in the brain, it will hopefully only be a couple of decades. But if it results from genetics but is specific to some degree for each person, its going to be a lot more difficult. I agree that phobias are probably the likeliest to be cured right now, whatever form that cure may take. Already, psychiatric treatments can do a lot for people suffering from phobias.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

So what's all this about phobias being amongst the first (if not the first) disorders to be cured? I have to say, nature would be a hell of a lot easier to enjoy without my arachnophobia.

KomissarBojantchev

KomissarBojantchev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

What about pedophilia? Is it also a genetic disorder? If not what would be the techniques to cure it?

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,320 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

What about pedophilia? Is it also a genetic disorder? If not what would be the techniques to cure it?

Pedophilia is certainly a mental disease/disorder. As for curing pedophilia, as I said before, curing it "might very well need large modifications in the brain for this to be done, perhaps sort of like with changing one's sexuality and/or gender identity."

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Offtopic:

Pedophilia (according to its definition in modern law) is a complete nonsence. There is actually nothing mentally abnormal if, say, 30-40 year-old man feels attracted to 15-16 year-old girl, already reached puberty. In my country, there were even crazy cases of 19 year-old boy persecuted for having sex with his own 16-17 year-old girlfriend.

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin

^ Isn't it about people feeling attraction towards prepubescent children? That's the crux of the matter, they like children, not teenage girls/boys who have already developed a much more mature female/male outer appearance.

The other thing you mentioned is about defending the younger one's rights and vulnerability. I stated somewhere before - in almost all cases, the older one can take control and manipulate the younger person affected because they have more power (physical and/or financial, social etc.).

You last example is about the age of consent and is different in every country. The major reason for this is to protect minors from being abused. You might argue that a sixteen-year old knows what he or she is doing, but this is doubtful. We're talking about an age where most young people are trying to find their own identity and place in the world. Insecure, sometimes unpredictable, their behaviour and decisions can't be compared to a thirty-year old's.

Paedophilia is when this attraction toward younger people is taken to its extreme. If a 30 year old person, male or female alike, wants to pursue sexual relations with, say, a 7-year old child, that is just wrong. The seven-year old wouldn't be able to do anything to prevent it from happening, neither in terms of physical force nor psychologically. Isn't it the case that victims of sexual abuse are blackmailed into keeping the whole matter quiet? Imagine what it is like for a child if it is told that it's a very very bad person if it tells uncle Jim's/aunt Jenny's little secret? Exactly.

Sexual abuse scars people for life. That is to be prevented, and therefore, certain laws have been made. One can argue where to draw the line, but some things, in my opinion, aren't up for debate.

------------

@Casey: Have you tried behavioural therapy? I mean something where you would be confronted with your phobia and slowly re-train your bain to 'accept' spiders without a too extreme reaction. I heard it helps.

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

The other thing you mentioned is about defending the younger one's rights and vulnerability. I stated somewhere before - in almost all cases, the older one can take control and manipulate the younger person affected because they have more power (physical and/or financial, social etc.).

Yes, of course... i only said here is nothing mentally abnormal (in case of 40 y.o. man vs 16 y.o. girl)

As for the age of consent, in Russia it's 16 and 18 years old. This sometimes lead to absurd situations:

- Boy [font="tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"](under 18) [/font]and girl (under 16) having sex - OK, no problem

- Boy reached 18 while his girlfriend still under 16 - may be considered as paedophilia

- Girlfriend finally reached 16 - no problem again

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

A couple of years ago I took an introduction course for psychology, and the teacher told everyone that there was no point in studying psychology unless you wanted to study it for fun to appreciate history. In his professional opinion, he thought all those would be cured in 10-20 years and that there was no future in the field.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users