Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Railguns

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

KomissarBojantchev

KomissarBojantchev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

I'm certain  that by 2080 at most,  superior compact power generators (possibly fusion or carbon nanotube ones) will be perfected enough that gunpowder  weapons will be completely phased out since railguns and plasma cannons will give much better penetrating power and accuracy than any rifle cartridge.  

The very first railguns would be  strategic static ABM systems since there wouldn't be a size limit for a power generator and this would  probably increase rate of fire as well as power. They wouldn't completely replace ABM missiles at first due to still lower ROF, Size and lack of controlling the projectile once it's been fired.

The first the railgun for personal and vehicle use may be a single use  LAW type weapon that would use explosive batteries whose explosive energy would be expelled from the back of the launcher much like a recoilless gun. That would make it impossible for confined use but would be useful for equipping assault infantry and larger examples on the turret sides of AFVs.

As technology progresses the railgun might not even have a power source, it would most likely be attached to the the projectile to form a cartridge and it would be a loaded the same as gunpowder weapons. Once rate of fire expectations become higher the power source would be inbuilt again making ammo lighter. Even later a gatling type railgun with the latter configuration would be introduced but would be cumbersome at first due to the even more massive power required to sustain a high ROF. The latest feature would be the possibility to spin the projectile using moving magnetic fields in the railgun barrel. That would make it more accurate but with less terminal velocity. This would be mostly useful likely as a long range standoff round due to having larger distances to travel than land warfare and thus more time to accelerate to adequate velocity.

In land warfare this wouldn't be necessary since the ranges don't exist to make a difference. Space railguns would be able to interchange the spin and regular mode.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,745 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

If railguns aren't in use by conventional types by the 2050s, they're at risk of being phased out by unconventional weaponry. 

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

KomissarBojantchev

KomissarBojantchev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

What kind of unconventional weaponry?

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

If Railguns look interesting to you, look up Coil guns. They're a similar concept except handheld. It'd be interesting with new energy densities we could phase out regular guns. Coil guns provide less recoil and higher accuracy due to the same reasons as railguns. For the Sci-fi savvy, they're really cool and I hope they replace traditional guns. Perhaps even Coil guns could eventually be replaced by Plasma guns (which already are being researched, but need serious breakthroughs). But Coil guns are a cool alternative for the time being!

I am not a gun collector, but if I'd collect Coil guns & Plasma guns if they ever came out for sure! Here's a picture of a Coil Rifle:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I do believe Railguns will be used in the future due to higher energy densities. They will Likely come before Coilguns, because they require an insane amount of energy, so they have to be very large. But I do hope plasma-weapons too become a possibility in the future! I personally think that they will eventually.

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users