Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Death penalty abolished worldwide?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

truthiness

truthiness

The Squire of Gothos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo MI
So, the solution is eye for an eye, eh Hammurabi?

Sounds good, but what happens when your vengeance is itself avenged, and one thing leads to another, and pretty soon everyone is blind?

(for a real-world version of this happening, see The Entire History of the Middle East)
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationLondon

it takes a lot of resources to keep a person (a criminal) alive for the rest of their life, providing free food, water, clothing and shelter.

A person who could later turn out to be innocent.

http://en.wikipedia....ath_row_inmates

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

it takes a lot of resources to keep a person (a criminal) alive for the rest of their life, providing free food, water, clothing and shelter.

A person who could later turn out to be innocent.

http://en.wikipedia....ath_row_inmates

That's a problem with the courts, not the punishment itself. And most people who are found innocent still have very questionable character and probably deserve to die for something else.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts
ive been thinking. i dont believe in abolition of the death penalty, theres always exception to the rule. i would be for killing 1 powerful person that could potentially wiped out billions or at least millions/thousands of people... it would be a matter of save 1 life/allow a number of people to be killed vs kill 1 human life to save thousands/millions of people.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

antovador

antovador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Scientifically, it is obvious that we don't know nothing after death but we know dead never suffer, never regret and never pay. Death is the last form of liberation. For me, a criminal have to stay alive to pay for his crimes.

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Scientifically, it is obvious that we don't know nothing after death but we know dead never suffer, never regret and never pay. Death is the last form of liberation. For me, a criminal have to stay alive to pay for his crimes.

The priority should be for prevention rather than justice. Death is the ultimate prevention. They can never commit another crime again. "People getting what they deserve" is a terrible concept that just breeds more and more crime and spirals out of control quickly (especially since one persons view of what someone deserves is completely different to someone elses).

Irony

Irony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I hope for the sake of the people posting "for" the death penalty arguments on here that it will be us who are the golden generation who are the first of our race (which we know of) to benefit from the inevitable significant leap forward in overall intelligence which is still needed.
Those saying they are against the death penalty whilst insulting those still for it know that you aren't really against it.

All rest assured knowing that the current status of the death penalty is inconsequential to our continued development. Know that one day it will be incompressible that an idea entertaining the termination of human conciousness was ever conceived of and afterwards completely inconceivable. Rest assured but not easy.

Edited by Irony, 14 February 2012 - 04:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users