Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Singularity Makes Me Nervous

Singularity Eschatology

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Just made a G+ group. Anyone can join.

Edit: deleted group.

What difference does it make?

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Considering Alex Lamb's postulation on solutions to the Tinker Point, I'm beginning to reconsider space colonization as a possibility. Still don't know what to do though...

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

Singularity is still far off.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I've decided to start this thread back up again as I'm beginning to have new fears.

Consider this: a lot of control over AI is becoming consolidated in the hands of a few very wealthy corporations. As the singularity approaches their power will only increase. Would a corporation be more likely to use this power in an egalitarian fashion, or to leverage it against others? The second seems more likely to me.

Add that to the recent dictatorship fetish Silicon Valley is getting, and I'm beginning to think the singularity will be more feudalistic than originally thought.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts

I totally agree. The singularity makes me very nervous, mainly due to the technological unemployment that would result.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,739 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

A brutal serfdom brought on by technological exploitation is a valid concern. Consider, however, that if this were to happen, a large number of people would be very, very unhappy, and do something about it. They would likely build AI's of their own; worst-case scenario the future would become an arms-race of who has the superior AI, best-case scenario everyone would elevate themselves to their level and competition leads us to a golden age of advancement.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

A brutal serfdom brought on by technological exploitation is a valid concern. Consider, however, that if this were to happen, a large number of people would be very, very unhappy, and do something about it. They would likely build AI's of their own; worst-case scenario the future would become an arms-race of who has the superior AI, best-case scenario everyone would elevate themselves to their level and competition leads us to a golden age of advancement.

The problem with that is that the corporate AIs will be far more powerful than any the serfs could come up with. It wouldn't be an arms race, it would be like trying to win a nuclear war by shooting off a firecracker.

KomissarBojantchev

KomissarBojantchev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

But what if owners of this exploitative AI are alraedy so  enhanced that no one would ever have the hope of challenging them?

Yes singularity looks like its on its way to becoming a caste based oligarchy.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

But what if owners of this exploitative AI are alraedy so  enhanced that no one would ever have the hope of challenging them?
Yes singularity looks like its on its way to becoming a caste based oligarchy.

That's my thought as well. Serfs wouldn't be able to compete with the latest and greatest available to the wealthy.

Spacekitty

Spacekitty

Dusk Cypher - Instigator of Transcendence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationHuman Shell Unit Version 1.0

Whatever happens with technology, money, wealth and power have nothing to do with anything. A serf would only need to become smart enough to figure out how to make himself smarter than everyone else and therefore, the whole system is turned on its head. In the end, no human has any other power over another human unless a human chooses to be overpowered. So unless they employ brainwashing or something, any serf could have the potential to become a lord, especially if  they united as one

I will instigate the singularity!

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,739 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Dystopia is Hard. Such a brutal one would be rather unsustainable for the techno-bourgeoisie since they would have billions of angry proletariat and each other to worry about. Everything would have to be a well-oiled machine, and all it takes is one defector to turn it all on its head. At that point, why even bother, and a GAI (one that learns) would figure that out very quickly.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 7,051 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

I would just shed the last vestiges of whatever I have left of humanity and hurtle myself to the stars, with the Earthly petty squabbles forgotten with frightening nonchalance. 

Oh, the stars will be my new friends... They'll be my new friends, and I shall walk among them.

Oops, does that mean I'm still human to think of them as friends? I guess I'll have to erase from my memory banks of what it means to anthropomorphize.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

doodwtf

doodwtf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Im not nervous. Im counting on our singularity overlord to protect us from hostile alien overlords who might come here for resources and kill us, enslave us, raise us like cattle then eat us, or, worse yet, take our virgins.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,133 posts

Im not nervous. Im counting on our singularity overlord to protect us from hostile alien overlords who might come here for resources and kill us, enslave us, raise us like cattle then eat us, or, worse yet, take our virgins.

And what if the AI overlord decides to do that?

doodwtf

doodwtf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Then I suppose my alien invasion scenario becomes a moot point...but...what if... bug-eyed black-scaled aliens somehow detect a growing distant signature of our rogue singularity overlord as it gobbles up resources from neighboring star systems for power.  The lizard lips are at a loss for how to stop its exponential growth and see it as an inevitable threat.  In a bizarre twist, the aliens reach out to the enslaved and embattled humans for help.  We oblige providing key tactical information that lead to the destruction of our pet singularity gone wrong.  Our virgins are saved for now.

Spacekitty

Spacekitty

Dusk Cypher - Instigator of Transcendence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationHuman Shell Unit Version 1.0

Then I suppose my alien invasion scenario becomes a moot point...but...what if... bug-eyed black-scaled aliens somehow detect a growing distant signature of our rogue singularity overlord as it gobbles up resources from neighboring star systems for power.  The lizard lips are at a loss for how to stop its exponential growth and see it as an inevitable threat.  In a bizarre twist, the aliens reach out to the enslaved and embattled humans for help.  We oblige providing key tactical information that lead to the destruction of our pet singularity gone wrong.  Our virgins are saved for now.

Then what would become of us? Would we be freed? or Anialated? or worse, subsumed into the alien AI overlord?

I will instigate the singularity!

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I've come to think of the following lately.

What if our socio-economic system is still capitalistic when the singularity occurs? Maybe the financial infrastructure would decide to select for beings that are mindless docile consumers instead of sentient beings.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I've come to think of the following lately.

What if our socio-economic system is still capitalistic when the singularity occurs? Maybe the financial infrastructure would decide to select for beings that are mindless docile consumers instead of sentient beings.

I.e. this (it's a longer read than most articles, but it has some good points in it).

Of note Charles Stross' quote:

The destiny of intelligent tool-using life [i]s to be a stepping-stone in the evolution of corporate instruments.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I would just shed the last vestiges of whatever I have left of humanity and hurtle myself to the stars, with the Earthly petty squabbles forgotten with frightening nonchalance. 

Oh, the stars will be my new friends... They'll be my new friends, and I shall walk among them.

Oops, does that mean I'm still human to think of them as friends? I guess I'll have to erase from my memory banks of what it means to anthropomorphize.

Assuming the wealthy or the AIs let you; which isn't guaranteed.

sasuke2490

sasuke2490

veteran gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Assuming the wealthy or the AIs let you; which isn't guaranteed.

The rate of technological progression will make it happen. Industrial revolution from Britain got to America like 200 years later I believe, with the internet or google maps seeing things online will be much easier with people exposing whats going on like snowden.

https://www.instagc.com/scorch9722

Use my link for free steam wallet codes if you want

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Singularity, Eschatology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users