Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you sometimes wish you were born in the future?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Yes, but no. and here's why

Ignoring the fact that I'd be a different person, I believe we could've been born just at the right time, but the only way for us to figure this out is for us to experience it. We grew up with the memories of the days of old, just before things began radically changing. A simple time when videogames were pixelated and you simply played through Level 1, 2, 3, 4, and not a sandbox immersive world with realistic CGI. A time when there was 80 channels on the TV all in standard definition. A time when the internet was young and not yet realized for its full potential. I mean come on, half of you are European and we're talking to eachother halfway across the world and I don't even know you!!!. It's fucking amazing! 

These are things that we grew up on that we'd be taking advantage of if we were born in a later time. I constantly think about this and think how amazing it is, but moving further into the future I would take these things for granted. And this would only get worse as you move down through the generations. Since we might live to see life extensions, we could be the generation that gets to see what becomes of the world past their time.

Regardless of radical life extension anyways, just imagine what we get to experience! We get to see the dawn of life-like Augmented Reality and Driverless Cars! We get to experience ROBOTIC SERVANTS, a personal favorite of mine. We get to experience Full Immersion Virtual Reality! Literally venturing inside a virtual world to create immersion like never before. What about Pervasive Computing and even the Technological singularity, a massive paradigm shift in all of human history and we get to not only see it happen, but experience life pre AND post singularity!!! What about flying cars to? Oh yea!. 

I think some futurists under value the time they've been born in. There's no use for wishful thinking when you are already the luckiest people alive throughout all history in this topic!

Space travel would be amazing no doubt, but it seems as though when you get this far into the future you have less things to look forward to because, after all, space is the final frontier. Sure flying through the cosmos and looking at astronomical objects and lesser species is fun to us, but as a super-intelligent post human, you would likely not care about such a thing that intrigues us lesser-intelligent humans today!

• Raklian, Casey, Thaizasaskand and 4 others like this

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

There is a chance the human civilization may be the very first one in the entire Universe, and there may be countless more civilizations that will follow in the next few billions years to come.

So, what does that make those of us who are the first generation to achieve immortality?

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,769 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Only if I don't die, no. I'd rather experience the 3rd millennium in its entirety and have bragging rights to having been born in the 2nd.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Only if I don't die, no. I'd rather experience the 3rd millennium in its entirety and have bragging rights to having been born in the 2nd.

And then after all this time, I will have bragging rights to say I am a year older than you. LMAO :D

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

Space travel would be amazing no doubt, but it seems as though when you get this far into the future you have less things to look forward to because, after all, space is the final frontier. Sure flying through the cosmos and looking at astronomical objects and lesser species is fun to us, but as a super-intelligent post human, you would likely not care about such a thing that intrigues us lesser-intelligent humans today!

Actually, I'd say that time/parallel universes, rather than space, is (arguably) the final frontier.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

And then after all this time, I will have bragging rights to say I am a year older than you. LMAO :D
Wait, you're only 20? I thought you said you were in your 30s.

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,034 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

^ Yeah, I am in my early 30s. I was merely saying that just for effect. :) 

• Casey and Futurist like this

rtardx

rtardx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Screw you modest muhfuggas, Being born in the 21st century. I can't wait for this era to end, But I after observing what's been going on in America recently I really don't think the our fabled future will ever come to fruition: #NWO #Anti-Christ #Rapture

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Actually, I'd say that time/parallel universes, rather than space, is (arguably) the final frontier.

You know I was actually thinking of including that cause I knew someone would comment on it. It's true, I also think this too. But Parallel universes is kinda just an extension of space & time... Like, it's the same thing, just a different form of it. Although many things could likely be different in the other universe, once the highest level of creation & reality is discovered, what are we left with? The unknown is fascinating!

There is a chance the human civilization may be the very first one in the entire Universe, and there may be countless more civilizations that will follow in the next few billions years to come.

So, what does that make those of us who are the first generation to achieve immortality?

I found the idea of "stellar" based evolution intriguing as opposed to "planetary" based evolution. I forget the exact name of the theory, but it states that instead of earth forming 4+ billion years ago, then life coming shortly after (making the rise of intelligent life a 4+ billion year process), it follows a further back theory of evolution. Stating that not only did the earth need to be created, but it had to be made in the right location of the right solar system of the right star of the right age, and that additional time was needed for interaction with other planetary / stellar systems such as comets and asteroids from older parts of the universe. Ultimately leading it to our "creation" being based 10 billion years back rather than 4 billion, and having a very low probability of happening (leading to aliens being very far apart in time & space to us). If this is true, then we could be the first or among the first.

It would be interesting if there are many other civilizations out there that are closer to us in the evolutionary process than we think. Additionally they may be very very far away. It would be cool if we realized that we were either the first or one of the first, and then as we evolved to superior beings we found that more and more intelligent life began appearing all throughout the universe.

If we are in fact the first, then we have bragging rights for eternity!

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

KomissarBojantchev

KomissarBojantchev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

I wish I was born either 50 years before now or 50 years after now. Now Is the worst time to live. Very few major life and medical improvements have entered these years , life styles have become much less healthy and pollution has made our environment much worse than before. Yet now the technological improvements haven't made life easier, they've massively increased learning and job approval requirements. Today stress levels, highly dynamic work tasks, much more competitive job market, requirements to be able to perfectly use all kinds of complicated gadgets in most good paying jobs, and much higher water, electricity, gas, etc. have made having a good lifestyle more difficult than in the 1950s or 60s.  

As for medical improvements of today, this is my best summary: In 1963 you have a deadly disease  which will make you dead in a month, the doctor can't identify it, in 2013 you have the same situation yet now the doctor only know which gene or pollutant chemical has caused your mortal disease.

There were less dangerous drugs invented and less gadgets to get addicted to and make you constantly lose your time.

In 50-60 years from now I'm optimistic that at least half of the problems I stated of today will have been removed or majorly diminished.

That's why I hate that I was born in 1997.

• michael92 likes this

JesseBrandon

JesseBrandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

I do wish I had been born in 2095 instead of 1995... That way I would be fairly certain that I would have an indefinite life-span, cancer and other mortal diseases would be almost completely curable, LGBT people would be almost completely accepted, virtual reality, 3d printers and all these awesome technologies would be widespread, car accidents would be almost unheard of... If only I had been born 100 years later :/

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
But people born in 1895 would have thought the same about your birth year. People born in 2095 will wish they were born in 2195. There is no "ideal time" to be born, as we are always advancing. Why 2095 and not 300,000?

Leptictidium

Leptictidium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

As for medical improvements of today, this is my best summary: In 1963 you have a deadly disease  which will make you dead in a month, the doctor can't identify it, in 2013 you have the same situation yet now the doctor only know which gene or pollutant chemical has caused your mortal disease.

And then there are lots of diseases that were deadly in 1963 and completely curable in 2013.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

But people born in 1895 would have thought the same about your birth year. People born in 2095 will wish they were born in 2195. There is no "ideal time" to be born, as we are always advancing. Why 2095 and not 300,000?

It is worth noting, though, that people born in 1995 might theoretically not live long enough to see and/or use effective anti-aging technology for humans, while people born in 2095 will at least generally live long enough to see and/or use this technology.

KomissarBojantchev

KomissarBojantchev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

And then there are lots of diseases that were deadly in 1963 and completely curable in 2013.

Like what?

Fatalbert911

Fatalbert911

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Locationusa, east coast

I think 2093 would be a nice time, high tech is brand spanking new still it started in the 80's I was born In 93. although I will enjoy to get to see it mature, I just want it to not take too long, but according to futurist im sure we all know here that the rate of tech change is speeding up so it should still be very interesting to see it all unfold. i'm also pretty sure that for us that are interested in what may come after our time we'll still be able to have a good idea of it. because the methods for transferring information will be so easy and more in depth for example you in say 2085 you wonder what might high tech will look like in the coming decades. in that case you can just hop into vr and see it yourself. today we only have your imaginations to try and see it but tomorrow we will be able to see our imagination literally come to life right in front of you. that's a great thing, so really im happy to be born in 93 right before the start of a new millennium! I mean come on guy's MILLENNIUM haha im sure that by the next century this word is going to be something.... amazing and magical.  

Tommy_Vercettix

Tommy_Vercettix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Simply because by 2200 tops, if most predictions are right, we'll live in a paradise-like world. Have you ever heard of a world without disease, boredom, inequalities, sad sick old ugly lonely people? That looks like paradise, with god-like possibilities and abundance for everyone, but that could be achieved here by 2200. No need to wait until 300000.

JesseBrandon

JesseBrandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

I'd rather have been born in 2095 'cause life wouldn't be so much different from how it is now, while who knows what the world will be like in 300,000? Besides if yo had to study History at school....LOL. And the best thing is that, being born in 2095, I would definitely be able to use anti-ageing technology so maybe I could even get to live till 300,000 and see all the advances and struggles by myself and I would be so wise 'cause I would have so many life experiences and studies... An infinite, painless and wise life. Who wouldn't wish that? I'm glad for people born in future generations... but I only wish I would be one of those people. Life is so unfair *sigh*

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
But for all we know, humanity could have been wiped out by an unforseen astronomical catastrophe by then. You can't really wish for something that you've no idea what it's going to be like. If you manage to reach 2095 and it is in fact as good as you'd imagined it, then by all means it's fine to wish you were one of those people (although if you were still alive, you too would be able to benefit from the technology, besides the point), but for now, who knows what it's going to be like?

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

^^^ exactly. People underestimate just how long 100 years is... In 1900 to 2000 we have seen great depressions and economic collapse, race and gender issues, world war and genocides, a seemingly downward spiral in the state of politics, the start of global warming, famine and so on. There is so many things that can happen by 2100 that you could in fact not enjoy it nearly as much as you think you would. And for those who think "nothing can go wrong", we still run the risk of: continued decrease in the state of politics leading to faux-democracy, global famine, overpopulation, global warming, bio and genetic terrorism, molecular assemblers which could lead to house made nuclear warheads, robotic warfare and unemployment, space military mobilization, technological singularity chaos, asteroid terrorism, shall I go on? Any one of these could start world war 3. World war 3 wouldn't just lead to superpowers destroying each other, but they would collapse from the inside out. Not saying that any one or a combination of the previous issues will lead to world war 3 or a "apocalypse", but all are real issues we could face this century. So I'm comfortable where I am right now :-).

If you live in a country that is a world power, then even if you don't realize it you're at a golden age right now. Science and culture are exploding right now and shows no signs of slowing down. Because once the powers begin to collapse, shit starts hitting the fan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users