Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you sometimes wish you were born in the future?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Leptictidium

Leptictidium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

As for medical improvements of today, this is my best summary: In 1963 you have a deadly disease  which will make you dead in a month, the doctor can't identify it, in 2013 you have the same situation yet now the doctor only know which gene or pollutant chemical has caused your mortal disease.

And then there are lots of diseases that were deadly in 1963 and completely curable in 2013.

Like what?

Peptic ulcers, testicular cancer, most childhood cancers, bacterial meningitis, detached retina... All of these are curable in the vast majority of patients (i.e. those who don't have a tonne of comorbidities).

• Casey and ddmkm122 like this

JesseBrandon

JesseBrandon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

^^^ exactly. People underestimate just how long 100 years is... In 1900 to 2000 we have seen great depressions and economic collapse, race and gender issues, world war and genocides, a seemingly downward spiral in the state of politics, the start of global warming, famine and so on. There is so many things that can happen by 2100 that you could in fact not enjoy it nearly as much as you think you would. And for those who think "nothing can go wrong", we still run the risk of: continued decrease in the state of politics leading to faux-democracy, global famine, overpopulation, global warming, bio and genetic terrorism, molecular assemblers which could lead to house made nuclear warheads, robotic warfare and unemployment, space military mobilization, technological singularity chaos, asteroid terrorism, shall I go on? Any one of these could start world war 3. World war 3 wouldn't just lead to superpowers destroying each other, but they would collapse from the inside out. Not saying that any one or a combination of the previous issues will lead to world war 3 or a "apocalypse", but all are real issues we could face this century. So I'm comfortable where I am right now :-).

If you live in a country that is a world power, then even if you don't realize it you're at a golden age right now. Science and culture are exploding right now and shows no signs of slowing down. Because once the powers begin to collapse, shit starts hitting the fan.

Whoa man, that's a little bit pessimistic isn't it? xD I get what you're saying, that I don't know what the world will be like in a 100 years, but come on. Even if any of that stuff happened, it would still be much better than having been born 100 years earlier. Lots of things can go wrong in a hundred years, but IMO the good far outweighs the bad. 

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

It's so much pessimistic when you consider most to all of those are issues we will have to face. However it is all speculation how severe the results will be, or how much they will affect the world. they are topics that will likely need to be addressed in the future. 

True that the good outweighs the bad typically, but you have to also take into account that humanity is likely about to go through a paradigm shift that isn't just another "era" of humanity, but an alternate form of humanity itself. With the age of Transhumanism the limitations of reality & nature will be tested. 

Only a few of those likely have the potential to be very dangerous. The most dangerous are:

Genetic Terrorism - with biology shifting towards an information science, and the rapid increase of computer power, you can literally have programs that tackle big DNA data and perform cellular analysis and protein folding simulations at godspeed. What this means is that, and is very real, you will be able to create the information for synthetic man-made viruses & diseases with supercomputers, and eventually desktop computers. Viruses are MUCH more dangerous than diseases. Imagine a computer capable of Yottaflop speeds (available by mid century), at 10^24 operations per second you'd be able to use brute computing force to do things we can hardly imagine today. And that's not taking into account overall increased "intelligence" of computers, with greatly increased software programming of the future.

Runaway Technological Singularity - I personally don't believe this will happen, but it's a possibility that when greater than human AI is created it will accelerate fast. Very fast. Faster than we could've imagined. And people will begin to eagerly taking advantage of this technology and upgrading their intelligence so much that they're inventing new ideas before they can even create them. This could lead to people becoming so smart that one person has the intelligence to cause massive destruction because technology and intelligence grows so fast that humanity can't handle it. The technology would be IMPOSSIBLE to ban completely, because other nations would invent the technology and use it for their own benefit. If politicians got their hands on this technology and did not allow normal civilians to have it, they would be Gods to us and we would NEVER be able to break free from their rule. (this is one of my ideas for a solution to the Fermi Paradox, although I'm sure someone has thought of it before). 

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

zyfo2

zyfo2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If you were born in the future, you would have the same experiences as you are having now. Instead of being frustrated at the fps lag in your games, you would be frustrated at the 10 seconds it takes for the universe to load on your holographic game system. 

So, I would be happy living anywhere, anytime. But presently, I would like to live in the now, when we are only just discovering invisibility, teleportation, live-bearing planets, AR, VR, social networking, ubiquitous technology, etc. Such exciting times we live in.

If you really want to be 'born' in the future, get yourself cryo-preserved at an early age! 

yeah, agreed. we should just stick to our lives here. compared to the past, we r lucky already.

and i doubt u would like to live in the third world. u probably can't stand the life standard there.

• DJKiran and ddmkm122 like this

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I miss the 1980s

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

I absolutely wish I was born in the 2020s

Antevorta

Antevorta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I don't particularly wish I were born in the future because (as a lot of you have already said) we are witnessing a revolutionary time in human history in terms of techonolgical advancements. This is a great time to be alive!

However, I don't think witnessing revolutionary change is unique to our time. I believe from this point on, we will ALWAYS be witnessing revolutionary change due to the fact that technology is increasing at an exponential rate. The changes are just going to be at a greater scale. I don't think we could really get to a point where we would take it all for granted, because there will always be something new and exciting. We approach infinity, we don't hit infinity.

That being said, I wish I could live long enough so I can appreciate the difference in magnitude of change. 

The future is a revolution against the present

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

I used to but I like this time period!

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

I think perhaps it's a little different for me. The possibility of surviving and living a full life would be increased for me 20 years from now. So no matter what I do in my lifetime the future always seems to offer a fuller realization of it for me. It might not be perfect but so what, if in twenty years I've been cut open and frankenstiened nine ways to tomorrow but then have a full and functional 87 year lifespan with no restrictions to what I can do, and no days where I wake up and have to write off the whole day because of disability... Yeah I might complain about scars and the hard few days of recovery from surgery, it would all still effect me to some degree, but I'd much rather that all than day in a an day out planning around being sick, losing days even when I've done nothing wrong and the constantly hanging blade above me that could drop without warning, ending my life 30-40 years before my supposed life expectancy.

It's like going through life knowing there is a sniper looking to take you out.

I've little doubt that in the next two decades we could make enough breakthroughs to see that I wouldn't face any of that. I could be sitting in a sushi joint with some people right now, laughing and making plans about what my future might be like and what I want to do with myself over the next twenty years. Instead I'm stressed and sick, trying to organize loose ends so that If I bite it before I turn 38 I don't leave a mess and problems for my mother or friends. If I don't die in that time I still have to keep things relatively tidy incase it happens in the next few years after this. In fact it will always just be waiting at the edge. So I have to be conscious of it at all times, and plan within those bounds.

I would rather live in a time where that wasn't the case.

• Antevorta, ddmkm122 and PrimordialBeing like this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I miss the 1980s

God no.  The 80's were one of the worst decades ever.  Awful, awful music, ridiculous hair and clothes, terrible TV shows, lousy cars, etc.  The 90's were the best decade, we got Nirvana (briefly) and Pearl Jam, we had great style (you guys have no idea how much I miss grunge) for the most part except for Hammer pants, we had some pretty cool cars (91 Honda Accord -- black with gold badging and a banging sound system yo!), still crappy TV for the most part but some really epic movies.  We also got the internet, which is pretty much the greatest thing ever.  Oh yeah, and Bill Clinton.  I like certain parts of the 21st century (iphones mostly) but overall the 90's are the best decade that I've lived through so far.

The only thing we ever want is more

Squillimy

Squillimy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

^ I think the in the 20's stuff is really gonna start pickin up. Seems like 2010's have been kinda slow. Smartphones relatively hit a dead end (as far as how useful the new tech in them is). Social networking has just blown up into more of the same s***. I guess tablets have started to get more powerful but it won't be until 2020 when high quality ones will be SUPER cheap.

I guess we got VR and Augmented Reality to look forward to. But as far as all this tech becoming mainstream and ubiquitous I'll bet on that happening in the 2020's.

So yea. 2020's are gonna be the shit yo!

What becomes of man when the things that man can create are greater than man itself?

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

To me it would depend more upon the conditions of people in that era and geographic location that on an arbitrary number.  If you were in Roman times say and said this same thing to yourself "I want to be a citizen of the empire 1000 years from now" you would likely have ended up as a byzantine fighting the Turks so context is much more important.

jamesgera

jamesgera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

sometimes but i don't think it would really matter. i mean i would think it would be great to live in 2150 but this is only coming from a guy born in 1993.

if i was born in 2150 it would be a normal life for me i would not really appreciate the technology and wish i was born in lets say 2270.

we want to see the future because we can appreciate it more because we live in such a primitive lifestyle.

but the thing is we don't go back to when my Dad was my age and he would tell you he would not have pictured the world we live in new. for example you can go into a shop and buy a TV twice the size of the 1st TV he ever got and is a thin as a leaf.

go back to when my brothers were younger.

today we have Phones that are calculated, Journals, TVs, gaming platforms, Walkman,camera's Radio's and more and they are the size of your hand.

go to my grandparent's time and you would see they lived in a world where we just got a man on the Moon yet today we have technology that are so much more powerful than the computers that got this man on the Moon and we carry them around in our pockets and sometimes we call them crappy when they act up and don't think twice about getting new more up to date versions of these things.

sometimes yes i do want to see the future not to live a easier life but just to know what will happen till the very end.

sometimes i also want to live in the past so i could have lived through so many great things like going to a Queen's concert.

sometimes i am happy living in the present because we are living through history now  

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

You're not looking at the possibility that things could get worse.  If there was a nuclear conflict that made much of the earth uninhabitable for example but didn't kill us off as a species and reset out technology to 1800s levels you might not be whistling the same tune.  

Sphenisciformes

Sphenisciformes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, United States

I'm just ecstatic I was fortunate enough to be born in the era of the information age, many others weren't fortunate enough to see technology progress in our society. I wanna live to the 22nd century at least, so I'll have to survive until I am 107 years old to officially be in the 22nd century. Maybe we won't live to see 22nd century or further centuries, but we can remind ourselves nicely that we were the century of the beginning. I hope our civilization becomes a multi-planetary specie before an asteroid wipes us away. I hate the idea of living forever as I believe it is greedy to live forever, though living for a much longer lifespan (150 to 200 years) would be good enough for me. <3

"The world is beautiful, even if it is filled with sadness and tears. Open your eyes, do what you wish to do, become what you want to be, make friends, don't rush, and take your time in becoming an adult."

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

^ I think the in the 20's stuff is really gonna start pickin up. Seems like 2010's have been kinda slow. Smartphones relatively hit a dead end (as far as how useful the new tech in them is). Social networking has just blown up into more of the same s***. I guess tablets have started to get more powerful but it won't be until 2020 when high quality ones will be SUPER cheap.

I guess we got VR and Augmented Reality to look forward to. But as far as all this tech becoming mainstream and ubiquitous I'll bet on that happening in the 2020's.

So yea. 2020's are gonna be the shit yo!

So we're going to have the Roaring 20's part II?

The only thing we ever want is more

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
I only wish I was born in the future if im not going to make it to see biotech that allows us to live forever and reverse of ageing. Id rather have more experience than less. Having said that brain tech in the future is a bit of wildcard.
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

chakrajade

chakrajade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Sometimes, I definitely wish I was born a lot farther into the future. Especially coupled with the hope that sometime in the future we'll wake up and stop damaging the world we live in, stop fighting over crap like religion, money, oil, etc... Stop hating on minority groups in our societies, and so on. And I would love, LOVE to be able to see the Earth from space, to step foot on Mars as a visitor and potential resident, to travel to Alpha Centauri, to watch spacetime be manipulated.

Even with the ever-increasing advancement of our tech, these dreams are outside my lifetime, or if anything even remotely like them happen while I'm still alive, I'll be too old and not have the millions of dollars to be able to afford the luxury of those experiences.

Hence why I'd like to be able to save up enough to set aside for cryogenics, my long-term savings goal. I'm still young, and I'm putting a sizable chunk of my income into a stable savings plan that will hopefully allow me enough wiggle room to afford paying for assurance of my brain/head being cryogenically-frozen when I die (currently costs around $80,000, I'm sure it will go up due to costs inflation), in the hopes that at some point when our tech is a LOT more advanced, my consciousness can be downloaded from my cryogenically-preserved brain into a new brain/body (if that's possible, which I sure as hell hope will be). Then, like a previous commentor mentioned, I would be myself from this era, with my own perspective and thus able to live that future with full appreciation, awe and wonder at how far we have come. 

• ddmkm122 likes this

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

sometimes yes... like in 2020

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
Sort of. I'd rather grow up as I have and be amazed at the changes, but I want to enjoy the coming technology as well.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users