Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you sometimes wish you were born in the future?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,316 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

^ I think the in the 20's stuff is really gonna start pickin up. Seems like 2010's have been kinda slow. Smartphones relatively hit a dead end (as far as how useful the new tech in them is). Social networking has just blown up into more of the same s***. I guess tablets have started to get more powerful but it won't be until 2020 when high quality ones will be SUPER cheap. I guess we got VR and Augmented Reality to look forward to. But as far as all this tech becoming mainstream and ubiquitous I'll bet on that happening in the 2020's. So yea. 2020's are gonna be the shit yo!

So we're going to have the Roaring 20's part II?

Followed by a Depressing'30s part II probably, unless UBI is adopted.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

michael92

michael92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

I wish I was born either 50 years before now or 50 years after now. Now Is the worst time to live. Very few major life and medical improvements have entered these years , life styles have become much less healthy and pollution has made our environment much worse than before. Yet now the technological improvements haven't made life easier, they've massively increased learning and job approval requirements. Today stress levels, highly dynamic work tasks, much more competitive job market, requirements to be able to perfectly use all kinds of complicated gadgets in most good paying jobs, and much higher water, electricity, gas, etc. have made having a good lifestyle more difficult than in the 1950s or 60s.  

As for medical improvements of today, this is my best summary: In 1963 you have a deadly disease  which will make you dead in a month, the doctor can't identify it, in 2013 you have the same situation yet now the doctor only know which gene or pollutant chemical has caused your mortal disease.

There were less dangerous drugs invented and less gadgets to get addicted to and make you constantly lose your time.

In 50-60 years from now I'm optimistic that at least half of the problems I stated of today will have been removed or majorly diminished.

That's why I hate that I was born in 1997.

LTTP, but we indeed are in a transitioning period with lots of problems.

Political turmoil

Economic collapse due to automation

Religious extremism because of the fading last days of religion

Radical cultural evolution due to technology

The world is having a phase that probably needs a generation to mature. We are basically at a point where we disregard everything we knew, everything we believed and everything we thought as an "appropriate" way to live, for the future needs pluralism and a redefined morality. It's happening so fast that it tears our society and economy apart.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

Yes, but no. and here's why

Ignoring the fact that I'd be a different person, I believe we could've been born just at the right time, but the only way for us to figure this out is for us to experience it. We grew up with the memories of the days of old, just before things began radically changing. A simple time when videogames were pixelated and you simply played through Level 1, 2, 3, 4, and not a sandbox immersive world with realistic CGI. A time when there was 80 channels on the TV all in standard definition. A time when the internet was young and not yet realized for its full potential. I mean come on, half of you are European and we're talking to eachother halfway across the world and I don't even know you!!!. It's fucking amazing! 

These are things that we grew up on that we'd be taking advantage of if we were born in a later time. I constantly think about this and think how amazing it is, but moving further into the future I would take these things for granted. And this would only get worse as you move down through the generations. Since we might live to see life extensions, we could be the generation that gets to see what becomes of the world past their time.

Regardless of radical life extension anyways, just imagine what we get to experience! We get to see the dawn of life-like Augmented Reality and Driverless Cars! We get to experience ROBOTIC SERVANTS, a personal favorite of mine. We get to experience Full Immersion Virtual Reality! Literally venturing inside a virtual world to create immersion like never before. What about Pervasive Computing and even the Technological singularity, a massive paradigm shift in all of human history and we get to not only see it happen, but experience life pre AND post singularity!!! What about flying cars to? Oh yea!. 

I think some futurists under value the time they've been born in. There's no use for wishful thinking when you are already the luckiest people alive throughout all history in this topic!

Space travel would be amazing no doubt, but it seems as though when you get this far into the future you have less things to look forward to because, after all, space is the final frontier. Sure flying through the cosmos and looking at astronomical objects and lesser species is fun to us, but as a super-intelligent post human, you would likely not care about such a thing that intrigues us lesser-intelligent humans today!

I often think of all of this, the psychology of who is going to born around 2250 will be completely different.  Imagine what could mean to be raised in world where there is no job and only leisure, where no ones dies, free slaves, hedonist pleasures, not getting fat, changing body shape.

On one hand, one thing i am seeing at the present, by being an 80s baby boomer  is that much of  spirituality is going away, and so romance is less powerful, and i know many of you disagree, but social life was better before than it is now for me.

On the other when i looked backed in the years I see things that nowday I would never tollerate. Rudeness, Higher levels of bullyism with the lack of any sort of protection, high social superficiality etc... Not to mention that in current world we see discrimination, insults, we face enormous material problems and some people born and die unhappy..

Well my choice is  that  if I will ever procreate, i prefer to raise my prole in a semi-hedonistic world.  World is way too harsh these days, and too blind to see certain things.

I want to raise my children in a world where there is much more happiness and hopefully this world is in the future.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.

I've always wanted to live in the 22nd Century so I'd only go 100 years into the future, I would be born in 2087 and when I'm 13 I'll be living in the 22nd Century.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationCanada

Are you kidding me? You better effing bet I wish I was born in the future! Imagine what our descendants will get to see if humanity makes it past the singularity! Space travel will be commonplace, skyscrapers will soar into the clouds, no more disease, bio-augmentations; this is the shit I dream about. It makes me ache with jealousy knowing that I won't be around to see all the awesome stuff humanity will bear witness to in the coming eons. Whenever I see the stars at night, I think to myself "some day humans will go there". But not me, no, I was born in the final decade of the 20th century and my chances of living travel to another star system depend on anti-aging tech being developed, accepted by society, AND made affordable by around 2070 (assuming I live an average lifespan, I could die any day after all). It could be argued that the 20th and 21st centuries will be the most pivotal in humanity's history, but I would rather witness the fruit of this period than live in it. 

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Are you kidding me? You better effing bet I wish I was born in the future! Imagine what our descendants will get to see if humanity makes it past the singularity! Space travel will be commonplace, skyscrapers will soar into the clouds, no more disease, bio-augmentations; this is the shit I dream about. It makes me ache with jealousy knowing that I won't be around to see all the awesome stuff humanity will bear witness to in the coming eons. Whenever I see the stars at night, I think to myself "some day humans will go there". But not me, no, I was born in the final decade of the 20th century and my chances of living travel to another star system depend on anti-aging tech being developed, accepted by society, AND made affordable by around 2070 (assuming I live an average lifespan, I could die any day after all). It could be argued that the 20th and 21st centuries will be the most pivotal in humanity's history, but I would rather witness the fruit of this period than live in it. 

What if the future turns out to be this?

toronto_ruins_by_jonasdero-d52qwfo.jpg

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,978 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

toronto_ruins_by_jonasdero-d52qwfo.jpg

I'm from Toronto!

Nice to see a dystopian version of Hollywood North. This one is as good as this one:

dystopian-toronto.jpg?w=1100

What are you without the sum of your parts?

illykitty

illykitty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationUK

Depends what the world becomes, but the good-ish scenario of the timeline, of having hardships, mainly due to climate change and some societal collapses, and making it through... Perhaps, but I don't want to say 100% yes because of my husband. It's the strongest attachment I have to this time. If it wasn't of him, well, I would have liked to being born later, sure. Maybe as much as 100 years after my birth.

My main concern is that I'm not sure if I'll live long enough, it depends on slowing and halting ageing. If I can extend my life enough, then maybe there's a chance. I'd like to live indefinitely. There's too much I want to see. By 2100, I'd be over 100, so hopefully medicine advances enough to make it possible. (I'm saying "I" but really I mean "we" in all of these, my husband dislikes the idea of dying and would take all of these measures too.)

I don't mind being born in this era if I make it to a better time... It's just that I feel very disconnected to how things are in society and our culture... I feel there's so much wrong with it and things aren't progressing fast enough. But going through our era would make a good story for future generations to tell them how things were "back in the days". We could tell them about our corrupted political systems that used to put short-term corporate interests above our well-being and environment, how our PCs were, what hardships we had to go through, how we had to fight for our rights, etc.

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationCanada

Well that would be quite unfortunate eh?

• Cosmic Cat likes this

Rolletroll

Rolletroll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

If you were born in the 22 nd century you would say "oh i wish i were born in the 24 th century!". You have to be born one day, and the 21 st century is (for now) a good century to live: No major wars, incredible achievements in medicine and technology, even with some problems like climate change I think we are living the most exciting century.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,978 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

If you were born in the 22 nd century you would say "oh i wish i were born in the 24 th century!". You have to be born one day, and the 21 st century is (for now) a good century to live: No major wars, incredible achievements in medicine and technology, even with some problems like climate change I think we are living the most exciting century.

But if you are that blue bald guy with glowing eyes, surely you can use your god-like powers to make your wishes happen just like that?

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Logically Illogical.

Logically Illogical.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Locationunknown; Destination unknown; Inducements classified; Identification unknown

Well, you can still live 100-200 years or so in the future; there's something called 'cryogenic sleep.' 

De chacun selon ses facultés, à chacun selon ses besoins.

Fatalbert911

Fatalbert911

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Locationusa, east coast

Well, you can still live 100-200 years or so in the future; there's something called 'cryogenic sleep.' 

I'm 21 as if 2015 perhaps it may be cheap enough when i get old to ride it out until I can be not only brought back, but also revese my old age or become immortal somehow when it becomes available

Fatalbert911

Fatalbert911

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Locationusa, east coast
I just think it would be a real shame to be born just before something like immortality becomes an option for people, something i think will be available in the not too distant future but may be just out of my reach. Man... talk about missing out =/. Another thing I'd hate to just barely miss is full virtual reality and to see the human race finally leave the planet earth and go off into the stars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users