Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Why I think FTL travel could happen next century!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

ShadowBlade15

ShadowBlade15

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
According 2 the timeline we won't be jumping to warp speed until a billion A.D. I think this is long overdue. I have no idea how we could go FTL but I think we will figure it out in 2150-90. So we should have nanotechnology quantum computers in the far century. Now these computers may be designed for A .I. Purposes . These computers can improve themselves. Making one smarter and more powerful in an ex potential growth. We could then reach computers such as A.I "gods" with godlike super intelligence. They may hit a barrier but they can still keep on improving themselves more and more. These god tech computers then can solve the impossible designs and mathematics for FTL travel. They can construct these ships and prove their theories until one is made . I may be wrong but this could be a scenario that plays out.

KomissarBojantchev

KomissarBojantchev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Your theory is a bit optimistic but I agree that the other one is ridiculous. I personally think first methods of practical interstellar travel(almost certainly from generators with enough energy to warp space) will first appear somewhere in the 2500s and start to be massively used by the 2700s.

FallenPears

FallenPears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUK

I'm with you guys, the absolute latest I could imagine would be about, 3500 AD, but I think 2700-2900 is more realistic. If we don't have it by then I would say its just downright impossible until we can rewrite the laws of physics.

IzzyIngleby

IzzyIngleby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

• Futurist, kre8noys and Lunix688 like this

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Femtotechnology will allow us to manufacture custom subatomic particles from quarks. Once we can make femtotech, we will be able to do just about anything, including rewrite the laws of physics.

• CyberMisterBeauty and Futurist like this
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Femtotechnology will allow us to manufacture custom subatomic particles from quarks. Once we can make femtotech, we will be able to do just about anything, including rewrite the laws of physics.

I think we have to go deeper for rewriting physics. Zeptotech or yoctotech perhaps? Maybe even plancktech.

What difference does it make?

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

if they manage to pull off a warp field in the next fifteen years, which I can only guess at but think they seem to actually be working towards, then I imagine there will be a hard core push to try and implement it for in solar system manned exploration and colonization. and unmanned probes to nearby star systems. imagine in fifteen years several probes are sent out and even if just one makes it, five years later we have the first video of another solar system and star from within the system itself.

I think it would take something truely horrific to happen on earth for that not to generate a new space race. pushing hard for a warp drive that is a two way system. allowing a year long human crew to visit whole other star systems.

I can see that happening all in the next 120 years, provided that a viable warp feild can in fact me made in the next few years as they are experimenting with now, and that it proved reproducable and safe for human life and scalable. I mean, damn just think about that. going from a crawl between planets in our solar system on chemical rockets taking months to travel between the earth and asteroid belt taking maybe a half hour. Then alpha centauri taking  few months.

• SG-1, zEVerzan, Kabe Ayofe and 2 others like this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I think we have to go deeper for rewriting physics. Zeptotech or yoctotech perhaps? Maybe even plancktech.

Hmm, according to this article the electromagnetic and weak nuclear forces can both be mediated by potential X and Y particles on the zepto-scale. Perhaps that is the route to FTL?

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Harold "Sonny" White is a revolutionary thinker, if not the original one - that award goes to Miguel Alcubierre of Mexico.

Part of my dissertation is about this. I need the equations that make warp drive theoretically possible for a different theory.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I'm going to say we need to figure out what the hell dark matter and dark energy are first, and then once we know that, we will be able to give a prediction as to when or if FTL will be possible.  Until then, it's just throwing darts at a dartboard.

The only thing we ever want is more

CyberMisterBeauty

CyberMisterBeauty

The most beautiful male in the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationThe largest city of the year 2192,celebrating my 200th birthday

[color=#ee82ee;][font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"]So,antigravity will be possible as well.[/color][/font]

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

NASA estimate that we will achieve FTL travel based on Alcubierre's drive by 2100. I think that the estimate is reasonable and I tend to agree with it.

I don't like being lied to, but I'm also tired of The Truth.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

[color=#ee82ee;][font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"]So,antigravity will be possible as well.[/color][/font]

The femtoscale is far larger than the smallest possible scale. Saying we could do anything with femtotech would be like someone in the paleolithic saying we could do anything with a more exact stone axe.

• IzzyIngleby likes this

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

The femtoscale is far larger than the smallest possible scale. Saying we could do anything with femtotech would be like someone in the paleolithic saying we could do anything with a more exact stone axe.

Heh, you reminded me of the "transsimianism" story.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,699 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Well, the fact is we don't know exactly just what we could do with femtotech or anything smaller. I guess it was foolish of me to say that so certainly.

Photons are simultaneously quantum particles and waves. I'd like to think that if we can make stuff out of quarks, we it might be possible to make a similar particle that can travel faster than a photon. That is, technically, FTL technology.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Well, the fact is we don't know exactly just what we could do with femtotech or anything smaller. I guess it was foolish of me to say that so certainly.

Photons are simultaneously quantum particles and waves. I'd like to think that if we can make stuff out of quarks, we it might be possible to make a similar particle that can travel faster than a photon. That is, technically, FTL technology.

While you might like to think that it will happen, it most likely won't, as blunt FTL travel is pretty much clearly impossible - c is the speed at which everything with zero mass travels, in order to travel at a speed higher than c, you need complex mass instead of a real one, which makes no sense.

If FTL is possible, it almost certainly will come from somehow bending that law by not actually traveling faster than c, but effectively doing that, in example, how Alcubierre's drives or wormholes handle that.

IzzyIngleby

IzzyIngleby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

While you might like to think that it will happen, it most likely won't, as blunt FTL travel is pretty much clearly impossible - c is the speed at which everything with zero mass travels, in order to travel at a speed higher than c, you need complex mass instead of a real one, which makes no sense.

If FTL is possible, it almost certainly will come from somehow bending that law by not actually traveling faster than c, but effectively doing that, in example, how Alcubierre's drives or wormholes handle that.

It is theoretically possible to "move" faster than the speed of light, the trick is not to do the moving yourself, but to get space time itself to warp in such a way that you are carried along for the ride. Look up the Alcubierre drive and the video I posted earlier in the thread.

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

It is theoretically possible to "move" faster than the speed of light, the trick is not to do the moving yourself, but to get space time itself to warp in such a way that you are carried along for the ride. Look up the Alcubierre drive and the video I posted earlier in the thread.

Did you even read my post?

IzzyIngleby

IzzyIngleby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

Sorry, skim read.

Apple Orange Juice

Apple Orange Juice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

While you might like to think that it will happen, it most likely won't, as blunt FTL travel is pretty much clearly impossible - c is the speed at which everything with zero mass travels, in order to travel at a speed higher than c, you need complex mass instead of a real one, which makes no sense.

If we have femto,Atto or maybe yoctotechnology
Can't we use that to create complex mass particles ? Which go faster than light ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users