Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Surely We're a Primitive Cyberpunk Civilization!

cyberpunk science fiction 2013 2015 2017 The Future™ dystopia

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

If not now then by 2015, we should be. Remember that thread I made about virtual reality + brain-computer interfaces+personal drones being very easily done next year? Made me think: just where are we, technologically, and what's coming in our immediate future? When I get my Rift and Insight, you know I'm gonna say "Buckle your seatbelt, (name withheld), because Kansas is goin' bye-bye." It just feels cyberpunk thinking about it. And I'm young, that's the best part. We get to enjoy all this tech while we're young and dumb. What we need is a revival of 90s cyberdelia. Turn on, plug in, and upload. I mean, if a cyberpunk world featured Australian cyber terrorists, dystopian governments, suicidal robots, mass market VR and brain-computer headsets, droid rock bands, computer watches and glasses, musical boxes that plug into your ears, and drones, wouldn't you say we've a primitive form of such?

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas

Very primitive I suppose

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,699 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Don't forget the emerging black market for high technology.

Now that criminals in California have access to car-hacking tech and nobody else does, that kind of makes this a beginner cyberpunk dystopia at least.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

FallenPears

FallenPears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUK

And arnt vocaliods sort of a primitive droid band? If you think about it the right way we basically are a cyberpunk civilization, but noone thinks of it that way because these terms and styles are meant to show a world different from ourselves, hence we may never think of ourselves like this even when we are exactly like we imagine a cyberpunk universe. I think i explained my thoughts correctly :p

BisonBeeblebrox

BisonBeeblebrox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD, USA

And arnt vocaliods sort of a primitive droid band? If you think about it the right way we basically are a cyberpunk civilization, but noone thinks of it that way because these terms and styles are meant to show a world different from ourselves, hence we may never think of ourselves like this even when we are exactly like we imagine a cyberpunk universe. I think i explained my thoughts correctly :p

Vocaloids are not a band, they are a program.  Not very different from using instrument synthesizers, which we've already been doing for many years.  I don't feel that it counts toward making us a cyberpunk civilization, although things like black market car-hacking devices do.

• FallenPears likes this

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,699 posts

I don't feel that it counts toward making us a cyberpunk civilization...

It could. We're kind of replacing (japanese) human singers with computer programs, or at least giving the program the same abilities as a human singer. Eventually they'll be able to emulate English singing well enough to pass for an American or British singer. Pretty cyberpunk concept.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

BisonBeeblebrox

BisonBeeblebrox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD, USA

It could. We're kind of replacing (japanese) human singers with computer programs, or at least giving the program the same abilities as a human singer. Eventually they'll be able to emulate English singing well enough to pass for an American or British singer. Pretty cyberpunk concept.

I guess what I meant to say was that the fact that we're using Vocaloids doesn't make us Cyberpunk.  The fact that they're holding huge concerts featuring this program (personified with a hologram) where a human would usually be present changes everything.  Why, just the other month we had the first opera without a single human appearance in Paris.  It was sung by Hatsune Miku, the most famous Japanese vocaloid.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,699 posts

When do we start becoming "advanced" cyberpunk?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,623 posts

I guess what I meant to say was that the fact that we're using Vocaloids doesn't make us Cyberpunk.  The fact that they're holding huge concerts featuring this program (personified with a hologram) where a human would usually be present changes everything.  Why, just the other month we had the first opera without a single human appearance in Paris.  It was sung by Hatsune Miku, the most famous Japanese vocaloid.
Oh yeah, Miku. Forgot about her. I was actually referring to an actual robot band that made the news a while back.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,623 posts

When do we start becoming "advanced" cyberpunk?

When, upon my flexible e-paper or virtual lucid dreams, I can read a cyberpunk novel and experience it in real life as stated, with no "kinda, sorta" bullshit in the way.

Brohanne Jahms

Brohanne Jahms

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

I would say we could fit a lot the definitions in some ways. I wouldn't consider civilization cyberpunk until megacorps start privatizing militaries and technology becomes more ubiquitous worldwide though.

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Isn't that already happening, though?

I don't like being lied to, but I'm also tired of The Truth.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
I'm pretty sure "cyberpunk" is just an artistic style.

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,699 posts

No, it's a sub-genre of SF, characterized by high tech and low life. It usually focuses on a rapidly changing world where technology has upset the way things have been for hundreds of years.

Hallmarks of Cyberpunk include but are not limited to:

Megacorporations with privatized armies

Cybernetics and human augmentation

Rampant crime and social unrest

Artificial Intelligence

Hackers

An evolved Internet

Virtual Reality

Robots, sometimes

Most often set on Earth

The "art style" of choice for Cyberpunk tends to be Film Noir-ish.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,020 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

^ And lots of sex... the kind that involve cigarettes after the act. :)

Overview of Cyberpunk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk

What are you without the sum of your parts?

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,699 posts

^ And lots of sex... the kind that involve cigarettes after the act. :)

Lol, well that goes without saying, seeing as the "Film Noir" style generally involves that sort of thing. It's just that in Cyberpunk fiction, you can have that kind of sex from across the world in cyberspace/VR.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
I don't think we are. Maybe in like 20 years

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
Yeah, as the Wikipedia article suggests, it's a science fiction genre. Nothing like it is ever likely to happen.

TheArchitect

TheArchitect

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Yeah, as the Wikipedia article suggests, it's a science fiction genre. Nothing like it is ever likely to happen.

I wouldn't bet on that. With the way the corporate world is converging ever faster toward megacorporations, I think privatized armis might happen. Just look at the american militaro-industrial complex: it already sends soldiers worldwide to secure economic interests.

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

I think that our perception of cyberpunk/not cyberpunk might be influenced to some extent by the fact that we've had time to become accustomed to the technological and societal changes surrounding us. If a science fiction fan from 1985 or 1990 was given some of the factoids about 2013 that were stated in the opening post, I do think they would be floored and that some of those things would scream 'cyberpunk' to them.

I would say that 2013 has some cyberpunk flourishes here and there, certainly in greater number than 10 or 15 years ago, though we're not to the point where society really embodies the cyberpunk spirit yet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cyberpunk, science fiction, 2013, 2015, 2017, The Future™, dystopia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users